1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how hard to make smooth swing to target?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i am having a hard time getting a smooth swing to the target. Seems like when i release the trigger i feel like pistol grip is also releasing. Futhermore. when i release trigger it forces me to poke at target and i allways shoot over target. How can i correct this making for a smooth swing to target? Could it be release trigger lock time is to slow? thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try adjusting the LOP. I just went from my thin winter recoil pad to my fat summer recoil pad. This makes up for the thinner clothing. HMB

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

amsnyder - More than likely you are not keeping yor eyes on the target. As stated above, if you move you eyes back to the barrel, you will not have a smooth movement and shoot behind the target. - Jim

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Don't overlook the value of dryfire practice using snap caps to protect your firing pins. Check out Terry Jordan's dryfire chart (www.learntrapshooting.com). My move to the target smoothed out within half an hour of using the chart for the first time. Continues use keeps you smooth and develops muscle memory... not to mention, it helps save money on target and ammunition costs.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

it seems like more od the targets i poke at are straight aways. it forces me to shoot over target. i even tried holding out futher on the forend. works god for straight aways but not on angles.

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've had the same problem, at times. The cure I found was this: Hold the gun tighter into your shoulder. Don't move your forehand, unless it's out at the end-cap. Use a normal grip and stance, but pull the gun into you with both hands. It should solve your problem, unless you start letting go of the gun as you get to the target, then it's a vision/concentration problem.

This is all very good info that I paid very well for, I'm offering it for free.

IME,
    Kip

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I second the thought on the Terry Jordan wall chart. Really helped me.

Bob

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Sam: It is almost impossible to diagnose a shooting problem on the internet, but here goes. Often times people forget about foot placement. It sounds like you are coming out of your gun, head moves off stock, etc. especially on the hard rights from station 5 [if right handed] or hard lefts from station 1 [if left handed]. To correct and smooth out your swing, place your feet in what I call a more closed stance to the left or right angle. This turns your body into the angle target... all other targets from station 1 or 5 depending on your left or right handedness are straight awayways. This is not a big adjustment but allows for a smoother swing and follow through. Thank you... send $50 to --- Good luck. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

smooth trap swing