1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How hard to cut a stock down 1"?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have 2 870TC's the one I shoot I have about a 97 avg with. The other one is a beautiful gun that almost looks unfired but it has a 1" L.O.P. more than the other one and that seems to cause me problems. My question is how hard would it be to remove the recoil pad cut the stock about an 1' and then put the pad back on? could anyone tell it had been done?

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

How hard to cut a stock down 1

Most gunsmiths can do that job. Not difficult for someone already set up with the proper tools.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

It's an easy and cheap job for someone who does this regularly. You will most likely butcher the stock. It's not a simple hack job and also requires re-fitting and sanding the pad. Just pay someone $30-$40 to do it.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Easy cheesy, lemon squeezy - Send it to Joe.

5. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l76JER3dY&feature=related
    Very simple
    Pierre

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Cutting off 1-inch from the stock will move your face a lot further forward toward the receiver than just 1 inch.

Safer plan would be to cut the stock off in small increments (1/8" to 1/4") at a time and test as you go.

MK

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It appears simple, but you need a jig and an extremely sharp blade... It's not like taking an 1" off the bottom of a closet door - if you haven't done it before, pay a "pro".

Jay

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I would never cut one with a hand saw as the youtube video shows. If you don't have a band saw or a chop saw with a GOOD crosscut blade on it, send it to Joe.

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I guess I better let a gunsmith do it. But to you expert shooters... Would 1" in L.O.P bother you guys that much or is it all in my head???

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As stated above, one inch is a loy, just add one inch using spacers and see, Jake

11. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If 1 inch is too much after you get it cut, add a spacer and use one of the thicker pads. As an aside, you might try a thinner recoil pad and see what that does for you before you have it cut.

Bob

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'd say find a friend with a table saw, the most important thing is keep it square while pushing it through.

I've cut a few Perazzi stocks on my neighbor's table saw using wood blocks and wedges to keep it at the right angle.

13. twostraight

twostraight Member

1" is a bunch. Are you sure you want it that short? I would take the recoil pad off and shoot it with a couple t shirts on before I started whacking away. Give that a test drive and see if you really want to cut it. If you got a beautiful TC and you cut an inch off of it, well..........it ain't beautiful any more. Put the shorter stock on the nice one and see if its really the cats meow. God I hate guns that have cut stocks.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Another reccomendation to just send it to Tron, perhaps this is a good time to look into an adjustable pad as well.

No doubt just about anyone can saw off a stock and screw a pad back on but it takes experience and the right tools to do a good job of it.

FWIW, a 1" reduction in the LOP is a lot. I'm not saying that wouldn't be correct in your case but you might want to get some help from someone experienced in stock fitting before you make the decision on how much to cut off.

15. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I had not thought about putting the shorter stock on and seeing if it works for me then... I think I'll try that before cutting a nice piece of wood Thanks

16. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Send it to me I can beat Tron's price. You have a choice of how I

will cut it. Chop saw or skil-saw or band saw. Yes I have done one before a high-priced

Stevens shotgun. It was canted to one side when I finished. So far I can

hit 23 out of 25 with it. I don't guarantee my work because gun could be damaged

in shipping or something. Also I don't like my work critizied. Ken U.

I don't think I would do my 870 unless i had a jig to hold stock and fine blade for table saw. That Stevens had a slight cant to it tried to get most of it out.

Neat jig pictured on another thread. In off topic

17. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Don't know how it maths out but removing 1/8 inch equals moving your cheek 1/2 inch.

Robert

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Check this out. Thanks Steve.

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have cut some stocks for myself and also some very expensive woods building staircases with my son. I too would recommend letting someone experienced doing the job for you but if you insist then be sure to put tape around the stock where it is to be cut and use a fine cut blade, a 64 at least. Use a stable shim to insure that your cut is level. Jackie B.

20. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Good golly... the way some of you talk makes stock work sound like brain surgery. If you know anything about woodworking, I'm sure you can do a fine job of cutting a stock with whatever crosscut saw you feel comfortable with. If the thought of cutting a piece of wood makes you squirm, then send it to a stock guy. Most of them appear to have reasonable prices.

I would probably just wrap the stock in masking tape, hot glue it to a carrier board (with shims to keep it square), and then run it through the bandsaw. Regrind the recoil pad and be done.

--Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.