1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how hard is it to install gracoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

does anyone know how hard it is to install a gracoil on a cynergy? I dad has been a woodworker for a long time and has probably evey tool to do the job. Just want to see what the hardest part might be.

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

the hard part would be grinding the metal to the same shape as the stock. if you are an experienced woodworker though it should be easy. just take your time.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Two hard parts in my opinion. (1) cut the stock straight. (2) drilling the holes for the hardware straight. The rest is a breeze.

4. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

To do it right you need the jig that Gracoil sells for the job. That is the only way to get the holes drilled right.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Trapshooterjoe has some great advise there. If you don't get that jig, I can see a "WTB: Cynergy stock" thread in your future.

JMHO

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I learned long ago that a shooter who does his own gunsmithing has a fool for a client.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Why take a chance to mess up a good stock---I'v had two done---One sent to Gracoil and one done by my local smith,can't remember the total cost because I had a pad put on with them but they were very reasonable---Don't take a chance.

Just MO---Mystic---

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Tron has done some great work, from what I have seen posted, and suggest you have it done. I know you didn't ask for other's opinions of whether or not you should do it, but personally unless you, yourself, has woodworking experience or any kind of mechanical skill have Tron do it for you.

If you're like me, jack of all trades and master of none, you probably will get the job done and it will look ok. But then there is that chance the saw will walk and poof the stock is ruined.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The worst possible damage you could do is bore the oversize hole at an angle,by not using a fixture, or by using the incorrect boring tool.

Boring in at the wrong angle, and you'll come out the side of the stock. Using the wrong tool, and you good very well cause the stock to crack through the thinned out counter-bore. I's a bugger to bore an off-set hole when another hole is present.

Doug

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The thing that comes to mind when I read this thread is when Spicoli (Fast Times at Rigdemont High) wrecks his buddies Z/28 and says "My dad is a TV repairman. He has an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it".

If you don't have the proper tools and experience to do the job right, send it to someone that does.

ss

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Just send it to Tron and get it done right.
    [​IMG]

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just so you know, you CAN buy all the correct tools needed to make this job a breeze. I suspect by the time you buy all the jigs, saws and the Gracoil Unit itself that it would've been cheaper and faster to go to a qualified gunsmith.

Not what you wanted to hear you say............

Brownells has all the tools you need.

Matt

13. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

ok you all have me convinced. Ill send it out to have it done. Everywhere ive called is 5 weeks or more. Just dont want to be down that long without my gun.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Send it to Tron and you'll have it back in a few days. He does great work and is a top notch guy.

ss

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

One week.

16. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Graco said 5 days when I called

17. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I can do it in one day..
    Don

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

hahaha!!

I'll do it today while you wait and have it done yesterday.

Doug

19. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

riss6270, I have installed several of the gracoil's on my shotguns and have done several more for others.
    To answer your question, it is not "hard" to install, providing you have the tooling and time. If you have never cut off a stock and installed a recoil pad, stop here.

You will need the fixture sold by Brownell's, part number 352-000-006 for $80. The set has the drill guide, bushing and 1 1/8" Forstner bit you will need. I do not recommend you try to cut the holes in the stock without the fixture.
    You need to have the means to cut off the stock (about 1 inch). There are three aluminum plates that have to be cut, sanded, and polished to fit, along with the recoil pad. You will also need a good belt sander or disc sander and a sanding jig.

If you plan on doing more than one, it pays to buy the fixture. If you are only planning on doing one, have it done for about the same cost of the gracoil and fixture.
    Bob

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I thought it was hard and my result was ugly. I had no jigs, less patience, and found I didn't like recoiling stocks anyway. I've done dumber things, but few I have to look at every day I'm at the club.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gracoil

gracoil installation

gracoil installation instructions
gracoil installation video
how to fit a gracoil
how to install gra coil recoil reducers
how to install gracoil
installing gracoil