1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How 'gun friendly' is Romney??

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by HSLDS, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here is an except from "First Freedom" from the NRA - it is the 'President's Column from the September issue and concerns the perceived notion that Romney WAS anti-gun and has only 'switched sides' to gain the Republican nomination.

It is enlightening to say the least...

It points to a web site that is worth browsing as well - http://www.goal.org/

-

A Friend To The NRA,

David Keene

-

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is the Republican Party’s presidential nominee and the one man capable of denying President Barack Obama another four years in the White House. Anyone who looked at the Second Amendment records of those vying for the right to face Barack Obama this fall knew that every one of the GOP hopefuls could be considered a friend of America’s gun owners and sportsmen. As a result, we at NRA knew that we could get behind whoever emerged victorious—and we were right!

Mitt Romney didn’t serve as governor of Arizona, Wyoming or Virginia, but of Massachusetts. While he was governor, anti-gun Democrats controlled two thirds of both chambers of the state legislature and were in a position to block anything and everything they didn’t like.
    But gun owners in Massachusetts fared well under Mitt Romney. Jim Wallace, Executive Director of the Massachusetts Gun Owners Action League (GOAL), and an NRA committee member, says that under Romney his organization had more access to the governor and his senior level staff than under any governor in something like a quarter of a century. He notes, as do Romney’s chief advisors, they established relationships that worked well during Romney’s tenure, and looks back on that bond with admiration.

Without equivocation, Wallace says that during Romney’s administration “no anti-Second Amendment or anti-sportsmen legislation made it to the governor’s desk and the governor managed to sign five pro-Second Amendment/pro-sportsmen bills into law.” That, says Wallace, must be considered an extraordinary achievement given the political realities of Massachusetts.

It has been observed that “politics ain’t bean bag” and when campaigns heat up, truth can lose out to exaggeration or worse. But some attacks on Gov. Romney during the GOP primaries struck those familiar with his record on gun and hunting issues as truly over the top. When Gov. Romney signed a 2004 bill titled “An Act Further Regulating Certain Weapons,” his critics erroneously cited this legislation as an assault weapons ban. As GOAL notes, with Massachusetts’ politics the titles of legislation do not always reflect the content, meaning this proposal was actually a pro-Second Amendment bill that began the process of reforming the state’s gun laws. Wallace points out that its passage represented a victory rather than a defeat for the state’s gun owners, “It was a reform bill totally supported by GOAL. Press and media stories around the country got it completely wrong in claiming the bill was an extension of the ‘assault weapon’ ban that had sunset at the federal level. They could not have been more wrong.”

Among other reforms, the bill reinstated a 90-day grace period for citizens who were trying to renew their state-mandated firearm licenses at a time when government agencies were falling behind in extending license renewals and it extended the term of licenses from four to six years. It also established a Firearm License Review Board that could review cases in which a misdemeanor conviction resulted in a prohibition on the ownership of a handgun for life, and long guns for a minimum of five years. This board was empowered to review cases and restore licenses where warranted. The full story of this bill and others can be found posted on the GOAL website and is worth a close look by anyone who has questions about the Romney record on guns (www.goal.org).

During his speech at NRA’s 2012 Annual Meetings, Romney, an NRA Life member, championed the U.S. Constitution. Romney commended the NRA for calling for the resignation of Attorney General Eric Holder, who continued to be defiant before Congress’ demand for answers in the so-called “Fast and Furious” scandal. “I will protect the Second Amendment rights of the American people,” Romney declared, adding, “Let’s take back our nation and defend our freedoms!”

Romney went on to praise NRA and its membership, saying, “This organization is sometimes called a ‘single issue group’ and that is high praise when the single issue you’re fighting for is freedom. And you can be proud of your long and unwavering defense of constitutional rights and liberty.”

ILA Executive Director Chris Cox interviewed Romney for this issue of the magazine and shares the view that we have an opportunity to vote for a presidential candidate who knows deep in his bones that anyone who swears to uphold the Constitution is pledging to support the Second Amendment.

The choice is clear: if President Obama wins a second term in November, he will go after America’s gun owners, our freedoms and the values we cherish. With Mitt Romney’s commitment to those values and our rights, we can go “ALL IN” to elect a leader we will be proud to call our president.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Does it really matter when you consider the alternative?

Buz

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Buz,

Sadly, if you read what some posters write here it just might...

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

How gun friendly is Odumbass?

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Where is Brian? Did he get this memo?

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

I guess we're left with the terrible choice of believing Brian or those lying dirtbags Chris Cox and Jim Wallace. Eh?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you're in a Rex 84 camp, will you be able to go hunting?

HM

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

What was Romney's stance on guns when he WASN'T running for president? It sure as hell wasn't pro-gun. So this guy flip-flops just to get gun owners to vote for him. What makes you think he won't flip flop again, as president, when gun owners aren't as strong a voting bloc anymore or public opinion polls lean towards in favor of more gun regulation? He will sell your a$$ out and pass stupid gun laws just like what he did in Mass, because public opinion was in favor of more stupid gun laws. Geez, sounds like the sheep are blind on this one.

Better stock up now on "assault weapons" and hi cap mags because I don't see either candidate allowing the status-quo regarding our current gun laws (e.g. expiration of the AWB, etc.)

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

This crap...again?

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Well Buz-gun its fairly obvious that sernv99 didn't bother to read the article - just pulling the trigger without mounting his gun or seeing the target.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

sernv read, surely you jest!!!!

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Romney's response to my email asking for his position on the Second Amendment:

“First, I support the Second Amendment as one of the most basic and fundamental rights of every American. The right to bear arms is essential to our functioning free society. I am proud to count myself as one of the many honest, law-abiding citizens who uses firearms responsibly.

“I do not believe in adding any more laws to restrict the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. I resolutely believe in the significance of proper gun ownership and sales. I understand that there are those in this country who wish to remove all guns from our society, but understand I stand firmly against that view. While many in Washington do not, I recognize that there is a difference between law-abiding gun owners and criminals that wish to do harm. Those who choose to use a firearm during the commission of a crime must be punished to the full extent of the law. With that said, we should provide law enforcement with the proper resources to punish and deter criminals, not inconvenience lawful gun owners.

“As governor of one of the most liberal states in the country, I was proud to support legislation that expanded the rights of gun owners. I worked hard to advance the ability of law-abiding citizens to purchase and own firearms. I stood against liberal desires to create bureaucracy intended to burden gun owners and sportsmen.

“I believe that the support of pro-Second Amendment and sportsmen’s groups in my previous runs for office are a testament to my support of the Second Amendment. As governor, I designated May 7th as “The Right to Bear Arms” Day in Massachusetts to honor law-abiding citizens, like yourself, and their right to “use firearms in defense of their families, persons, and property for all lawful purposes, including common defense.” As president, I will fight the battle on all fronts to preserve the Second Amendment.”

In contrast, Obama replied, "I have never gone hunting or fishing in my life." Fishing? The guy doesn't even know what the Second Amendment IS!

Ed

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Ed, you've posted that before- keep doing it so maybe some of the site leftists will wake up and smell the coffee.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's a real dishonest statement from Romney that Ed is posting, wherein Romney conveniently skips the part about banning guns with "unusual lethality". Romney even said this during the early days of the primary.

Until Romney denounces his position that guns with "unusual lethality" should be banned, this is nothing more than turd polishing and damage control to make those with attention deficit disorder feel good about voting for a gun banner.

How many of you have the HONESTY and the GUTS to admit Romney is a gun banner, but you're voting for him anyway because he is better than Obama?

At least that's an honest position to take, one that can be respected.

What cannot be respected are the gun owners who are lying to themselves and others that Romney is now some sort of gun rights champion.

15. cnsane

cnsane Member

Like they said on Southpark,"a giant douche or a $h!+ sandwich". I'll reluctantly vote for the giant douche because America can't survive on $h!+ sandwiches for another four years. And I'm distraught about voting for a gun banning flip-flopper, but it's a less worse choice than letting the big earred muslim loving $h!+head ass-rape our Constitution for another term.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thanks for your honesty.

17. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

For the first time since I was old enough to vote....the Democrat Party has a candidate whose continuing RULE of our country (HIS word...not mine) is such a clear and present THREAT to America that I really don't care what Romney's Second Amendment history is. As I've posted before...Romney is NOT my "IDEAL" (Heck, I wouldn't be my "Ideal"..!!). That said...Romney/Ryan has gotten my modest $$$$ contributions and will get my vote. Obama's destruction of America HAS TO BE STOPPED.
    Anyone silly enough to think that GIVEN HIS RECORD...Obama deserves another term...would have backed up the Titanic to take another shot at that iceberg...!!!

18. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Jim Wallace of GOAL is correct. After a relentless wave of anti-gun, anti-sportsman activity from previous Democrat dominated Legislatures, the Romney administration, after a shakey start, actually was able to correct a number of bad laws that were effecting gun owners and stop the relentless attacks on sportsmen by the animal-rights industry.

The current governor is an anti-gun Obama clone who is squarely in the animal-rights/gun hater camp. He is the complete opposite of Romney.

I have no problems with Mitt Romney from a gun owners and sportmans position. That is based on actual experience.

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

WS-1, I live in Mass as does the above poster Mdle 12 I assume. I know Jim Wallace and a good part of the GOAL staff and what he's said about Gov. Romney is true. As Mdle 12 has stated our present Gov. is a clone of O'Bama's only a better speaker. Surprisingly it's his own party that is holding him back as to what he'd like to have in place for us. Thank goodness for people like Scott Brown and Romney as they are a breath of fresh air here in Taxachusetts. We're not as fortunate as some of you in other states, but we try and do the best we can with what we've got.

20. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I didn't know a whole lot bout ole' Mitt before this election cycle. He seems to be a well spoken, though very rehearsed, slick, polished politician. Lots of money, goofy religion, nice family. Always been a republican, albeit a republican from Massachuetts. Different from what we in Wisconsin now demand out of our republicans.

If he has made statements in the past that aren't exactly 100% gun friendly, I chalk that up to him being an east coaster. Scott Brown is hardly a Jeff Sessions, Ron Johnson, or Jim Demint.But, he also was elected as a republican from a state that makes it very difficult to do so.

If the Mittster does pull this off, which I do not think he will, any second ammendment squishiness he may have will not see the light of day. Look who he will be surrounded by. Paul Ryan (my congressman) would have no problem calling him out on any such statement. Mr. Romney knows full well his ONLY hope was to nominate Paul Ryan, for the exact reasons we discuss here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.