1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How good is your gun safe ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kelly andersen, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Someone was asking about gun safes awhile ago. I just about whizzed my drawers when I saw this. It is not good. Just hit the link above.

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

perhaps you are over reacting. First - can you flop your safe down onto the floor? If so, we can and should fix that. next question

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Browning safe is backed up by Fido. And bolted down. But anything is possible, I guess. I have been planning motion detector security too.

HM

4. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

I was glad to see he sold champion safes....my Border Collie is a wuss

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

your basic security is to keep bozo the local doper from easily taking your stuff. Its the Pros you must worry about. If a true pro wanted your stuff in time they would get it. I saw a safe open contest when I was younger, we have a geat lock smith in hanover ma. gets into anything in short order. Safe should be bolted down also should be in such a area that it would be difficult to work with long bars.

6. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Perhaps we didnt need a stupid comment !!!! I put it up so people could see how fast they can be opened. I think just about everyone knows you bolt them down.And yes I'm 6' 270 I can tip any gun safe you wanna put in front of me. Do you have any other questions or have any other analytical comments you'd like to share with us perhaps???? If they want in they will get in.Perhaps youd like to share some more of your profound wisdom with us perhaps??? LOL next question.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Mines bolted down on the concrete foundation also against a wall. Sure they could get in but is more of a deterrent than a fool proof security. Hopefully the neighbors would call the poice before I was ripped off. And it's still way better than hiding them under your bed.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mine is securely bolted to a concrete floor. I have removed most of the guns from my safe and replaced them with important papers. I have not locked the door for 10 years. I have the combination written someplace in case I ever want to lock the door. If someone breaks into my safe, at least they will not have to damage it to get in.

Pat Ireland

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I know a sheriff just south of my county. When he heard that I shot trap he asked me where I kept my trap guns and I told him. He told me of an instance where a man with many thousands of dollars in trap and sporting clays guns had them in a safe and left his house in the country for approx. 3 hours on a Saturday. When he returned home theives had broken in actually backed a wrecker to his front door and took the cable thru the house and wrapped it around the safe and pulled it from the floor and out the house destroying about half the house in the process. The point is that if someone wants your stuff bad enough they will get it. Just be sure you are insured and it is kept up to date. Dan

10. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Why does it need to be on it's back if it's bolted down good they can do that while it's standing up! All's we can do to a pro is slow him down. some good deturrents are ammonia & clorox set up if the safe is moved the two mix and make ammonia cloride gas Toxic need gas mask, leave or die. Black powder in the door and walls is a good stop to torchs. Build it in, hide it make doors smaller then the safe unless you plan on moving and want to take it with you. Unorthodox ways will give them more trouble, can't plan ahead what to do unless you have a big mouth and tell people.My goal is to get them to leave quick or have them be laying their for pick up. I do put some warning on the door for explosive, toxic's, & electracution in case I die and a legal locksmith has to open it. If they can't read or understand it then it's our goverments fault for their poor education system.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gun safe is needed to keep juvenile delinquents away from your guns when you are away. A security system is also a good idea. I had a 15 year old break into my house when I was out of town. He probably spent several hours in the house (no security system). He turned the dial on the safe and gave up. He ended up stealing my other vehicle from the garage and totaling it at 3:00 AM while running from police. My guns would have been in the totaled SUV if I had not had them in the safe. This kid was a neighborhood boy and the son of a Vice President of a large insurance company.

I am thankful the safe did its job. If somebody is nuts enough to break in while I am home I just hope I am close enough to one of the guns that are not in the safe.

Jim Skeel

12. obfd13

obfd13 Member

locks weren't meant to keep thieves out......but to keep honest people honest

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mine is on a concrete floor as well. They make lags that fasten things to concrete like gas pumps, lighting poles, overhead signs and the list goes on - even gun safes!

Ed

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Walrus- There are probably holes already drilled in the bottom of the safe floor. A new concrete bit on a drill will work well in a floor that is 15 years or less old. If it is a very old concrete floor, get a couple of bits. Some lead anchors and lag bolts will do everything else.

With the increased price of lead, are lead anchors still about 50 cents each?

Pat Ireland

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Amazing - simply amazing. Never forget the famous words "think you used enough dynamite Butch?? No matter what precautions are taken, there is vulnerability. However, we can and should take step to minimize the risk. If you cannot figure out that some of the things you read about and hear about are simply marketing ploys, you deserve everything that happens to you.

16. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Walrus .... Pat has the right idea but before you start, if it’s a fire safe, remove the carpeted sheetrock from the bottom inside of your safe. There should be four holes through the bottom of you safe, (1) near each of the four corners. Measure the ID of those holes and from you local hardware store get (4) each bolts that will pass through those holes, the ones that are made for blind attachment in concrete, the ones that have a bell with a sliding sleeve that engages the sides of the hole on the opposite end from the threads along with nuts and (4) large steel washers.

From a local salvage store get some 1/4" - 1/2" thick heavy rubber, cut in 5" - 6" wide strips (2) each in length just less than the depth of your safe & (2) that will fit in between those two along the front and rear of you safe. The rubber has to go between the concrete and the safe, with the safe located where you intend to attach it to the floor & with a friends help tilt the safe to one side, at approximately the center, slide a 2" X 4" under the safe to approximately 3/4 the depth of the safe, allow the safe to rest on the 2 X 4 in a free condition. Locate the (3) strips of rubber under the safe (2 sides and rear) with the outside edges inside the periphery of the safe, tilt the safe to one side again & remove the 2 X 4. With the 2 X 4 removed, tilt the safe to the rear and insert the rubber under the front of the safe, allow the safe to set in a free state, check that the rubber is still located as it should be.

Borrow or rent a Hammer Drill with a bit the proper size & length to make the appropriate size hole. The depth of the hole should be approximately 3" or more below the surface of the concrete but not more than the thickness of the concrete floor. With the hammerdrill, drill the (4) each attach holes through the open holes in the safe, through the rubber and on into the concrete. With the four holes drilled and with the concrete dust cleaned out of the holes and from inside the safe, install a large washer and nut on the threaded end of the bolts, with the nut flush with the end of the bolt, drive the bolt into the hole with a hammer. Back the nuts out approximately half way and seat them again. Tighten the nuts on the bolts. Your installation should be complete but you may want to check with a long level to make sure the safe is not tilting and the safe door will swing and stop free at any location.

Prior to attaching your safe to the floor there should be some type of golden rod installed in your safe to reduce the moisture content of the safes interior. There should be a hole in the lower back of the safe for this purpose, drill from the outside centered in the hole through the sheetrock and install electrical cable for the golden rod.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No one mentioned an alarm system. That's the firs line of deterrence.

18. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Wise up boys the great oz has spoken, We all deserve what we get !!!! you must stay up nights thinking this crap up. The great mr waalkes knows it all about safes and thinks we should follow his advice. I'll say it real slow so you can hear it. I only posted it to show that a safe is easily broken into if they have the time and a mind to do it, nothing more nothing less. why dont you share some of your amazing cures for the vulnerability you know so much about. What in your great ozness opinion should we do to minimize our risk, please share your wisdom with us instead of babbling on anout marketing ploys and what we deserve. Follow the yellow brick road. I bet you had the cleanest windows on the bus !!!

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=80212199safe.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Check out WANTAD.com under firearms 500.00

20. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I'm curious as to why they didn't try to pry open one of their safes. If they're the cat's ass then show us.

Possibly because it's just as easy????

Hmmmmmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.