1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How good is a Rottweil Model 72 Trap combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Does any body have any experience with a Rottweil Model 72 Trap combo? If so what is one worth? I can by a real clean one right now that has the 34" single barrel with chokes and a 32" double barrel (full over modified) for $1500.00. I have never heard of a Rottweil make before. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Huntinandhotrods

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sounds like about what they are worth as a combo. Good gun, very heavy built

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rottweil trap combos are a very nice gun, and probably worth every penny of $1500. Two things need to be pointed out, however, and that is they don't take a good release trigger, if you ever have to go there, and the other one is parts. Some parts are getting a little difficult to come by in my parts....All in all, a good deal, for sure. Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Very good gun. They are a bit "clunky"..kinda heavy, not a "racy" design.
    All that said,back in the day.... my best friend whacked ALL the big boys with a 100 st. shooting his from the 26 yd line @ the Grand in a preliminary event. Ray Stafford came in second that day to David Williams of Tennessee. If I were looking at one, I'd want to be confident it had not been messed with over the years.

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I shot one at the Grand sometime in the late 70s. I thought they did swing nice.

Mfg. by F Eli Gamba of Italy and imported by Dynamit Nobel.

The trigger group came out like a Perazzi, finished very well.

I would think the price would be inline for a original gun in VG or better cond.

Regards....Gerald

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The Rottweil skeet guns were VERY popular in their day. Would probably still see alot of them in use if they weren't mostly 26" barrels.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

TRAP2 I had one in thye 70s but the factory could not make a reliable release for i. So I traded it off.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. copper

copper Member

I had one for a short time liked it a lot, was in the buy sell mode so sold thats a good price for combo does have drop out trigger mine had two triggers release and pull.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money. Selling it won't be easy. The guy selling it has found a fish....

10. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Wow,
    those are some critical remarks for a gun that had a smooth, 4 lb, engine turned, drop out trigger and an adjustable rib with a nice elipticle design, chromed barrels, with tula chokes in all three and a 42 thousanths constriction in the unsingle. And that was in 1972.

That was my out of the box 72 AAT that I shot for more than 10 years without a breakdown. It did have "potlatch" stamped on the wood but given the abuse some guns suffer in a public rack I didn't mind.
    I bought it to shoot not look at!
    I have no experience with the "supertrap" model.
    Dan Gill

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why would you buy this? Do you shoot it well?

Remember its going to be hard to sell and repair- and it isnt a spring chicken in wear probably

Compare it to a Browning or a Beretta and if you still want it- go for it- just dont expect to sell it easily or repair it inexpensively or easily as you could with the B guns

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

85TTR,

You should not have done that.
    At my age my heart shouldn't skip too many beats. I would still buy it today if I could find it. Doesn't even recoil!
    If Trap and Field has a searchable archive there was a great write up back in the day. I gave my copy to the consignment dealer for the new owner.

Thanks for the look down memory lane!
    Dan Gill

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

The first ever "500 straight singles" in a NY marathon were with a Rottweil..

Some youngster named Chris Vendel did the feat many years ago...

The last I knew, his mom still shoots her's to this day..

Reliable gun and yes, I still own mine too.

Dave in SC

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Parts are difficult to locate......

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The triggers are about as neat looking as I've ever seen, but the very, very thin sleeve that covers the springs is a problem since it splits and then you are kind of stuck.

Neil

16. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Chris Vendel is also a gunsmith, and has about all the parts needed for a Rottweil. Springs especially, because they tend to loose their strength over the years..Chris owns a machine shop and makes the spring retainers that Neil is referring to. Chris's are made so they will never split, and are interchangeable from side to side.. I have two in my gun and never have to worry again.

Trapboy: I agree with you, that "youngster" (2010 Doubles Champion at the Grand), isn't too bad even today...Keep an eye on Christopher (Chris' son) though, he isn't far behind "Our" youngster..LOL

Fun part about getting older..we can watch the generations growing into the sport.

[​IMG]

Christopher and Chris after they both shot 200 in singles and went into shootoff.

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have been shooting one for 27 years. It has been rebuilt 3 times. You have 3 people who work on the guns. One in TX, Va, and NY. The guns are as most say made before their time. They stopped bring them in this country I think about 1986. You want a gun that is at or above S# 73XXX. They are great guns and if they want only $1500.00 its a good price. How ever I would have a gunsmith look over the gun to make sure it is not worn out and in need of a rebuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
rottweil 72

rottweil 72 super trap combo

rottweil model 72

rottweil shotgun

rottweil shotgun for sale

rottweil shotguns

rottweil trap
rottweil trap shotgun