1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How good are Versalite Wads in 12ga. 11/8oz?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for any input on the downrange Versalite 11/8oz wads. I shot these wads for years as a kid using 18gr. 700x, #7 shot, AA hulls, Win 209 primers over decoys for ducks, and they were deadly out to 45-50 yards. I was just wondering if anyone was using them for 27 yard handicap and how effective you find them over your previous favorite? I particulary like the deeper over powder cup which I believe allows for a cleaner, and more complete powder burn, and minimizes gasses from escaping past the wad........Thanks...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dan,

They are a very good 'caps wad when used with bulky powders. They do pattern extremely well down range , no pun intended. They also seem to take some of the initial bite out of heavier loads, but this is strictly subjective. If I ever get away from using Titegroup powder, I will be using more of them. For now, I just use them in my 1 1/8oz Game shell.

ec90t

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Dan-

These are absolutely the best for long range patterns. Did some extensive 50 yd patterning with them as well as the DownRange F3s and nothing else came close for denseness and coverage. Used several 1200~1250 fps loads (GreenDot & Unique) with both A-A and Nitro hulls. Definitely my wad of choice for back fence and beyond shooting!

AndyH

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I load these to around 1250 fps. They have produced some of the best patterns in almost all barrels I have tried them in. I'll use Green Dot, Unique, Universal Clays, Herco, WSF, and a few others. Unique and Universal Clays are my favorites at 1250 fps, since they allow reasonable pressures and consistent performance. Green Dot gets them to about 1235-1240 without much trouble too. I like a choke that is at least IM, or Full. They are one of the best handicap wads I have used over quite some time. As hard as I might look, it's difficult to find one that comes close. I think the 18.0 grains of 700-X might be a little high on the pressures, so I'd double check that before loading any. I DON'T use these wads for 16's, Short Handicap, first shot of doubles, or Skeet.

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Great Handicap wad!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"
    (270) 804-5454

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks all........ I plan on trying some for 27yd. handicap shooting. I won't, however, be using 700X. I plan on using Nitro hulls, Fiocchi primers, 21gr. Green Dot, and the Versalite wad with 11/8oz 71/2's. My present supply of original Windjammers is running low so I thought I would try the Versalite again now that I see downrange has them available. I really want to stay in the 1200-1225fps range as I'm finding out that, for me, anything faster than that is just a waste of powder from the fence because I seem to score better from the 27 with a load that does right around 1200fps. I also believe the Versalite will lend itself to extremely good patterns when using Green Dot loaded to around 1200fps. We will have to do some experimenting. I do have some Unique to play with, but I prefer to save that for the faster loads I shoot for meat shooots, etc..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12ga versalite wad for trap