1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Good are CZ Over-Unders?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

This doesn't have to do with trap, but I am in the process of finding a gun to shoot for sporting clays and most likely pheasants. I don't want to get seriously into sporting clays, so I don't need something real expensive, (still like trap for now) just want to do it to have some fun. Does anyone on here own/shoot a CZ over-under, the Redhead in particular, whether for sporting or hunting doesn't matter, but if you do, how do you like it? I've been to the store and picked one up, handled it and put it up to my shoulder and it seems to fit me quite well. Just want to know how others like them before I spend the $700 on an over-under (seems kind of cheap for a new gun), otherwise it's look for a used Citori. Thanks, any help is appreciated. Josh

2. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

jts, several fellow shooters at our club are using them.To a man they like them and they are very dependable. Not fancy but very functional. They have been using them for skeet primarily and have several 1000 rounds through them. Good value. Hope this helps. Mike

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't know about o/u's but the bolt action rifles are top shelf quality.

4. richrob

richrob TS Member

If you have the choice of a used Citori, buy that. They are built bulletproof but if something does happen parts are more readily available. I think they have a better fit and finish and nicer wood. Also, resale wise unless you beat it up you won't loose much, if any value.

I bought one for pheasants, trap, skeet, and sporting a year ago, put about 10,000 rounds through it and it hasn't missed a beat. -Rich

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

CZ's are great guns. People mostly complain about their triggers. Very rough with a hard pull. Dave T.

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the input everyone. richrob, I have been looking for used 20 gauge Citori's but can't seem to find one in my price range. A friend of mine got a deal on a newer Citori last year at a gun show, think he paid somewhere around $650 for it, and it is around 95-98%. I can't seem to find them cheaper than $1000. Thanks, Josh.

7. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I own several CZ rifles & pistols...They are top quality guns & I will continue to buy more............Pete

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

There is a diference between the CZ brand rifles, pistols and shotguns.

The rifles and pistols are made at CZ (Ceska Zbrojovka), in Uhersky Brod in the Czech Republic, as they have been since the facility was founded in 1936.

They made o/u's at one time, the "CZ o/u", a very European styled gun, introduced in 1970, rarely seen in North America.

Shotguns seen today with the CZ mark on them are made in Turkey and branded CZ.

CZ's are one of my favorite bolt action rifles, my CZ ZKK600 .30-06 shoots three shot MOA groups with factory ammunition.

Take into account any recent CZ shotgun is made in a different factory, in a different country than the CZ pistols and rifles, this may be OK, it may not, I have not had the opportunity to examine the recent CZ shotguns.

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

They are simply cheap Turkish gun with CZs name on them. CZ is simply taking advantage of Americans desire for low cost everything.

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Take your time and wait for the Citori they are time proven and high quality guns in their price range and last a life time you will leave in you will.

Buddy

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

CZ-USA shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey.

CZ-USA is based not far from where I live, and they are great supporters of the local gun clubs and entities like Pheasants Forever and Quail Unlimited.

Their shotguns are notorious for coming from the factory with heavy triggers, but if you ask, I think they'll lighten them up for you.

They are very nice looking guns.

For hunting, I'd say they're fine, but their basic shotgun offerings are not particularly well suited for target shooting.

They plan to introduce a sporting clays gun very soon. I have handled this gun and it's not bad. Very nice, crisp trigger. Very well balanced.

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I would not consider them to be an "A" or even a "B" grade of shotgun but they got everything form "C" to "Z" covered.

Overall they are not a bad bang for the buck. They work and they do what they are supposed to do as long as you do what your supposed to do with them.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Save your money. Look for a good used Citori or SKB 505 or 585. Either one will stand up to the rigors of clay shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cz over unders for trap

cz shooters forum