1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How fast can you throw a clay before it breaks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I was talking to a gentleman recently and he told me they had in-advertantly had a main spring wound so tight as to see 72 mph targets. I was amazed you could even get a target to that without breaking it on throwing. In a bit of dis-belief I thought I would just ask the ts.com experts.

How fast can you throw a "standard" target before it just breaks being thrown?

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

When we were doing Stick Bird events at Pigeon Shoots some of the clays (international) were going nearly 200 yards using big Bait Cast Rods as the stick - short answer - easily 120-150 mph.

One disstinction - throwing arc of 6+ feet with more gradual acceleration initially.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Depends on the target and how it's thrown. An international bird could probably be thrown faster because of its stronger construction.

T

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Stick birds are something most shooters have not experienced, and most shooters would be astounded at the range of a target thrown from a good stick. I still have my best stick, but can't use it any more because of spinal injuries. I remember throwing a target through the side of a pickup camper from about twenty yards years ago. I have not thrown International targets with the stick, but the American targets stood up very well and almost never broke. Actually, my best stick was a long bow, but it finally gave up the ghost and broke at the tip. When I reinstalled the target holder, it was short enough that it was just not the same. I went to a metal stick that I still have.

5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I have one of the old Dunn's Sporting sticks, made from a steel golf club shaft, that is a little different than some of the others. It has a kind of spring-steel prongs at the end and require a kind of wrist snap to release the bird between the prongs. I have walked off targets that have gone over 110 yards, and they leave the end of the stick VERY fast. Dunn's catalog used to say around 100 MPH, and I wouldn't doubt it. You better be quick with the second shot (if missing with the first) or it's about out-of-range !!!

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I wonder if I took this apparatus off of this stick, and put it on a six foot fiberglass pole, or even a old golf club how fast you could throw them with a baseball swing, and I am not talking about the Blatz can. LOL
    [​IMG]

7. Joe O

Joe O Member

I found a case of International targets, they are definetly stronger. Or try a 90 or Midi target. I still have a Sportrap 3/4 cock hand trap. The kind used on Sporting courses when sporting got started. We took the 2nd arm off and tightened a "red" spring up. I'm sure we got 150 yds or better we never measured though. It was amazing! In Sporting or FITASC when they really want some speed they go to the midi's.
    Joe O

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

A dog trainer I knew (now deceased) had one that he used to bring out at the end of the day. He and most others used a baseball-like swing, and would get pretty good range, but I used a motion like a wrist shot in hockey (I played a lot when I was young), and could easily get 25%-50% farther than any of them. Like several said above, you had better hit them quick or it got pretty iffy to hit one, especially if I threw it about 4' off the ground.

9. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I threw on straight down to the ground and broke if. It went about feet. To me throwing one a 100 yards to break it is a waste of time and energy. Bill

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to stay below the speed of sound. HMB

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Throwing them straight up and then attempting to hit them on the way down is a lot of fun.

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

[​IMG]

I forgot I had a picture in the photo gallery of my stick-bird. It's laying on the table with the target in between the 2 prongs of spring-steel. On the far end is the golf grip end of a regular steel golf club shaft. Will really fling a target !!!

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Where you get that magazine tube for your Beretta?

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

An over/under automatic....cool!

15. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Steve W and RickN,

That is my sporting clays "fun" gun. It's not even an extended magazine; it's just a "fake" bottom barrel. My late gunsmith and myself did this as a project to make it look like my K80 trapgun. We made a special thin plate below the fake bottom barrel to take the place of the barrel nut that goes on in front of the forearm. Created a barrel hanger to separate the barrels and and soldered in an old Briley choke. Makes everyone take a 2nd look, that's for sure. I call it my semi-automatic over and under. My Berettoff !!!

16. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't know the speed but I used to run a club where we threw a wobble target, off of a hand set Western X trap with freshly sanded rubber and throwing arm, over 90 yards. They were regular pitch targets, not the International type.

Ed Yanchok

17. drgondog

drgondog Member

@Stl - that 'IS' the apparatus... find a cheap 1 wood stiff shaft from Pawn shop. Not quite as long as a bigSurf rig but a LOT cheaper..

Baseball wing.. midway between a hard swing and a medium slow swing to start off until you get the feel.

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Are these stick throwers still available?

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I would kill to have a bird stick set up for left handed throwing. I have always had to use the sticks back handed, losing a lot of flexibility and distance. When sporting clays and stick birds first became popular, Ommelanden Range in Delaware offered stick birds by the half hour, no target limit. The thrower and the targets were furnished, and you could tip the thrower if he did a good job. Most shooters ran out of ammo before the half hour was up.

20. drgondog

drgondog Member

eightbore - have you tried switching? I didn't have much trouble learning to bat left handed in baseball..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how fast are clay birds thrown fron an auto trap