1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Far Will You Drive For A Trap Shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by concordefamily, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

With gas pushing close towards $4 per gallon, this got me thinking, how far is too far?

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Well, I drove a little over four hours to shoot at Ben Wheeler a few weeks ago, and I plan to drive five hours to shoot at TTA Zone shoot in Abilene. However, I am not going to drive eight hours to shoot at another TTA Zone shoot in Amarillo this weekend. If I weren't looking for some better scores for submission to qualify for state team, I probably wouldn't even shoot Abilene.

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I have 4 clubs in my "AREA" so to speak. They are 103, 115, 130 and 135 miles away. At 4 buck a gallon gas, I may have to cut back some.

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

400 miles round trip to Mason for next weeks Great Lakes Grand, been there once already this year, have about two more trips scheduled. Regular local shoots are 40 & 100 miles round trip each. The 40 mile trip happens twice a week. I'm still not sure if I'll make it to Sparta in Aug, or maybe just do the Cardinal Center instead, but that would be the max. Luckily I get 30mpg with my car, $4 a gal of gas hurts but it's not fatal yet.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I wouldn't drive across the street for a trap shoot! I will however drive 3 hours for a good game shoot. My 'burb gets 19 mpg on the highway so it isn't that bad.

ec90t

6. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Drove 172 miles one way to a shoot in Winnemucca last Oct.

Jim

7. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Still new to trap shooting and I guess I'm lucky because of where I live. I have shot at 6 different clubs and never traveled further than 63 miles 1 way. I can access a lot of clubs if I felt the need to travel up to 200 miles each way, 1 hour drive up I-95 to Delaware, 1 hour drive up I-83 to go to south central PA, and I could reach every single club in MD.

Allan

8. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

ABOUT 100 MILES IS MAX FOR ME-RICK

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Locally, like Mason, I'd like to stay under 100 miles. For the Grand I'll drive 587 miles.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Well my own little club is about 3 miles or so from the house (I'm very lucky!). I'm going to the zone shoot at Jaqua's in Findlay, Ohio which is about 60 miles. There are many fine clubs within 60 miles of town. The Cardinal Center is about 90 miles. Even on a semi, semi-regular basis, that is about the limit for me. Unless I strap the gun and sundries on the motorcycle and have a good ride on the way to a good shoot!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

just drove 518 miles to shoot the Mo. state shoot and it's raining like you know what!

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Have you seen the new smart car? 41 mpg on the highway. 30,000+ on order already with a $99 deposit. Made by the same company that sells the best cars in the world. Can you guess who?

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

And retail is $12,500.

14. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

The rising cost of gasoline along with other trapshooting related expenses will have a definate effect on attendance at registered shoots and shooter participation at local clubs.

Local club operators must remember that in today's market, the competion for the "recreational dollar" will be tough as trapshooters will now be more selective in how they spend their money. Will they shoot trap, or will they spend their money on other forms of recreational outlets? If club operators are smart, they will develop innovative marketing strategies to entice shooters to spend their hard earned dollar shooting at their club.

I am fortunate to have four trap clubs within a half hour of my home. I also have access to numerous golf courses and excellent shore fishing on one of the Great Lakes. So there are choices to be made.

I have never driven a long way to shoot trap, nor do I intend to in the near future. I am a "league shooter" who is happy to spend time with my friends at my local club.

Dave

15. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

To the Grand the last 2 years, 1550 miles, around Texas is 300 miles. Texas is a big state. LOL

Jimmy

16. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Well I am driving 825 miles one way to a one day shoot in Tenn,,,its at My fathers local club,,,,its on fathers day,,,so I can kill two birds with on trip,,,,Oh thats right ,,,stopping at the NC State shoot on the way down,,,,oh thats right ,,stopping at the Pa,,,Colional Classic on the way to NC,,,,might be a few more than 825,,,taking the long way

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

100 miles one way.

Ronbo

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

It really depends on the quality of the shoot. I will travel 300 miles or more to attend a "quality" shoot, but won't drive 30 miles for one that is poorly run, throws bad targets, has a high priced program with little, or no chance of a payback or good trophy. At one time, I tried to make as many shoots as I could each year. With the cost of everything associated with shooting these days, I am being very selective in which shoots I choose to attend. Many of the previous shoots I went to on a regular basis have been penciled out, and new shoots that have more to offer have taken their place.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I feel pretty lucky. I am about 60 miles away from 4 clubs here in Northwest Ohio.

Mike

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ben Avery Clay Target Center is exactly 14 miles one way from my house to the entrance, Red Mountain is 50 miles each way, The Grand is way to far and in the wrong state for me to ever attend again, Las Vegas is 300 miles from my door so its 600 miles round trip and well worth the ride when I get the time to go ... I have cut back considerably on shooting to persue my other passions which are classic cars and bowling ... Classic cars are a lot more expensive than shooting but you have a lot to show for the money when your done, bowling keeps me in shape, round is a shape isn't it ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.