1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How far in yards does a target continue to rise?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

How far does a target continue to rise in yardage from the time it leaves the house before it hits its peak? How many feet per second is target climbing?

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The wind is a large factor as is spring tension. 1OT

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

67 ft/sec before immediate deceleration. 17.4 feet rise at 31 yds.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

would it not depend on the speed the target is set at??

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Lou, not only the speeds but the angles as well. You'll see different height's of target setting no matter where you go. Math can't tell you the best POIs for every situation Earl. Learn which POI works best for you at each extreme and learn how to judge height's and speeds when your on the line watching what the targets are doing.

Earl, remember your grouse hunting days and how they fly?

Hap

6. BigBearRod

BigBearRod Member

Its always falling from the get-go. It is moving away but it's falling the whole time....

7. smsnyder

HAP. Wished i could hunt grouse again. Can't hear them and can't walk like i use to. I believe the angles allways rise.

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

"It's always falling from the get-go???"

What kind of trap target is that?

9. smsnyder

BigM Thanks. Now we know the FPS target is moving up and the distance the target will continues to rise. In't it common sense to have an 80/20 POI or higher for trapshooting

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"It's always falling from the get-go???"

<blockquote>What kind of trap target is that?"</blockquote></blockquote>Remember that "new math"? Well, this is the "new physics"!

MK

11. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

1OT has a point, I seem to see things differently in different situations, but the classic cross section of the flight that is shown on most drawings seems somewhat thereotical and not actual. My observations are two fold. One, go stand off to the side of a machine where you shoot and watch the target in section and note the distance from the house in your own case and set your gun up accordingly, and two, by observation, it seems like the targets go off like frisbees and seem to go up, almost linearly for way longer than is shown on the classic sketch. Then they just die out and drop down like a frisbee. Hopefully, you only have to watch pieces fall down.

d

12. smsnyder

Look at Reading the Breaks by Neil. It is clear that there POI is often to low. Notice many of the shot strings are below the target. Most missed targets are because we shoot under or behind the target.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Its always falling from the get-go. It is moving away but it's falling the whole time...."

Maybe he was talking about shot.

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Earl,

What you see in Neil's videos has nothing to do with the gun's point of impact. They are diliberately trying to shoot high, low, right, and left to demonstrate how the target reacts to those kinds of hits.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Gravity is working on the bird the instant it is released from the trap, therefore it is dropping from the line of departure but that is not really the question.

The first time I went trap shooting I was told by another shooter to wait until the target peaked then shoot it. That didn't work out too well, learned a valuable lesson, don't listen to just anybody.

I also went thru a phase of higher and higher POI, it works but I believe it can make it too easy to fall into the bad habit of stopping the gun. I think that happened to me because I kept needing a higher and higher POI until I didn't need to move the gun vertically much if any at all. This works for some evidently but not me.

My conclusion is to get the shotgun to shoot where you look, not matter what the POI ends up, and to focus on the leading edge of the bird and keep the gun moving while you let the shot go. That seems to work a high percentage of the time under any condition and doesn't reward me for doing something wrong. A positive result for pointing and following thru correctly leads me in the right direction IMHO.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The target is thrown at about 62 Ft/S. The vertical component of this velocity is about = 62*sin(22*PI()/180) = 23 Ft/S. The force of gravity is directly opposed to the vertical component of velocity but is in part counter balanced by the lift on the target. This lift does come at the cost of air friction which causes the target to loose both components of the velocity vector and eventually the vertical velocity componet goes to zero then becomes negative and the target falls to earth.

Depending on how the targets are set and what the wind conditions are, the target mormally peaks about 28 yards from the house and is about 25 feet agl at that time. Time to peak is usually around 1 1/2 seconds.

Now if you are thinking about any of this when on the line calling for a target - you probably need to find a new hobby.

17. smsnyder

Wolfram how many feet does target rise until shot gets there? Target 62FPS Shotgun shell 1145 FPS.

18. APrice

APrice Active Member

All the unbroken trap targets I've observed are rising until they start falling. It's not any more complicated than that, other than some wind considerations.

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"Its always falling from the get-go. It is moving away but it's falling the whole time...."</blockquote>Physics from the twilight zone...

Unless affected by wind, a target continues to rise at a continuously decreasing rate until it gets as high as it's gonna go... THEN it starts to fall!

MK

20. APrice

APrice Active Member

I agree with MK!

Not sure we've answered the OP's original question though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.