1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How far does the shot really go

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Recoil Problems, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I'm attending a Provincial gun club safety seminar this weekend.
    I have heard that our Government is trying to impose new rules for trap clubs.
    There is talk of unrealistic distance standards.
    I would like to be able to speak with some authority on this question .

My club shoots westerly over many many distant fields but I know some locations that if unrealistic distances are imposed will be forced to close their doors.

I think that if I stand in front of a trap house as close as 200 yards I would not be in any danger .

What is the consensus on this ...

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

3. Wentez

Wentez Member

At Alamogordo - 4300 ft elevation - it will go about 225 yards - remember that is with 7 1/2 & 8's - you have to prohibit/control/limit larger shot.

Just my observations -

Geo

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

For me, it gets almost to the target and then makes a U-turn.

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Once in awhile when I still hunted I had shot rain on me in the field. No idea how far away it came from. Not much chance of injury when it happens. I'm not sure if this is for saety or inviorment.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sears is going to mine our shot and told us to not farm 80 - 200 yards from the traphouse.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

we shoot over water, and many times you see the shot fall into the lake. My estimate is 200-250 with shot size and speed determining.

HM

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The problem you will have is in most writings on the subject you will see 300 yards as the designated drop fall zone.

It might be better to call them designated safety zones as they have that built in fudge factor.

I'm sure there out there but I have not seen anything that shows less in regard to drop fall zones.

I would think you would need an authority such as the NRA, NASR, NSSF to give you the information you require.

Some links of interest...

http://www.losttarget.com/links.html#SHOTFALL

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I thought there was a fellow on here that did a study on it and found typical 8 shot to go 7-900 feet with the optimum angle.

10. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

The tarp in front of the plastic curtain in the Portland Gun Club, set about 250 yards from the 16 yard line, sure catches a lot of shot: over 6 tons since Dec '07.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The Journee Formula for lead balls lists 209 yards as the maximum distance for #7.5 lead, #8 lead would be less - found in the NRA Range Manual.

As I've posted in other threads - make a human fence out to about 250 yards and start shooting at them. Have them walk forward every so often at a set distance and re-shoot.

Give them eye protection and an umbrella if there squeamish. You'll know pretty quick where the shot falls - perfectly safe.

Jay

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

"How far does the shot really go?" Geeeez, I want so bad to say, "All the way to the ground!" but that would be childish and silly; and I don't want to look childish and silly; so I better not say that, right? But, it might be worth a giggle; no, it wouldn't look good for a person of such fatal seriosity as me; No, I better not say that here in this august audience. Yeah, forget it!...<;-)

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

It would be appreciated when you return, if you list what is being proposed for gun clubs in Canada or your province?

Are they coming in and making sure clubs are meeting standards already in force or are they expanding what they think the shotfall zone should be?

If that is so, what are they putting on the table?

14. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

HI Joe. I'm going to the meeting on Saturday and I will report.
    This meeting is for all Ontario Gun Clubs not just trap clubs.
    It is my fear that they may want to go out and measure and try to close
    anywhere that doesn't meet their test.

Rumor has it that 300 meters is the test . Based on information I got on this site I will argue 770 feet which works out to 230 meters is more accurate.
    Give me your website joe and I will send you an update as soon as I get home

jbm

15. 682LINY

682LINY Member

well the sporting clay course is out about 210 yards from the trap house,,,,and if the wind is right we ge shot in our faces at the 16 yard line

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

How far does shot really go - we've shot lead from '50 - '98. Our perimeter fence is 660' feet at the closest and after multiple core samplings over the years no lead (other than background lead) was ever found at or outside the fenceline.

Chicago is 725' above sea-level.

While max range might be obtained using an optimal angle of trajectory at 30% (+/-), an average 5'10" male shouldering a firearm at 5' shooting a rising target of 10' at 26 yards (16 yardline + 10 yards in front of the trap) - approx. rise over the run of 5'/78', not much of an angle... no where near the max of 200+ yards.

Go out there and shoot at yourselves - then invite the local authorities to watch the same demonstration.

Jay

17. samme_no2

samme_no2 Member

Who is that Captain Morgan? I clicked onto his link and froze my puter. Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.