1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How far are targets broken from the traphouse?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Is there a general rule of thumb in the trap world for how far from the trap that targets are generally broken? I am aware some shoot fast and some shoot slow, but for the general average trapshooting population is there a generally agreed upon average distance? If so, at what distance?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

About 45-50 feet for singles a bit more for h'cap depending on the yardage. As long as you break them in the air that's all that matters.

Eric

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

According to the Remington brochure... typically 20 yards for singles, with 17/25 yards respectively for doubles...

Jay

4. tj303

tj303 Member

16 yards is 48 feet. I wanna know how you break them at 45 feet? (or even 50 feet)

5. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I have watched typical, accomplished shooters and found this distance to be 31 to 33 yards on singles - 15 to 17 yards from the house. It was interesting to me that the "fast" shooters break the target only about 2-3 yds quicker than the more deliberate shooters.

K

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

tj303

Consider this. A properly set trap, according to ATA rules, a target at 20 yards from the house, is 15 feet high (on level ground, if a level from trap to stake). At 25 yards, the target is 16'8" high and at 31 yards, the maximum rise of the target is 17'4."

I am sure when watch other shooters, and yourself included, the target is broken before the target reaches it's maximum rise.

While the target is only 2 feet, 4 inches higher from 20 to 31 yards, when watching them from behind the trap, it is just about impossible to really tell how much distance the target travels in a 2 foot rise. Your looking at a small object in the sky, without ground references to get a good ideal of distance traveled.

The target when broken at 20 yards from the house is 36 yards from the shooter.

The distances posted by spitter from the Remington brochure have been repeated in other writings.

If one can do it safe, one could stand at a right angle to the trap, say a road running along the trap field and watch through some binoculars to get a true sense of where the targets are being broken.

7. sevenwhitehorses

sevenwhitehorses TS Member

about 1/3 of the way down this page has an excellent graph for you

http://www.fieldandclays.com/about.htm#Trap%20fundamentals

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Easier to log onto.

9. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

100+ miles.

In the last truckload, there were a few casualties from the distributor!

;-)

10. ccridr

ccridr Member

Look for the biggest consentrasion of broken birds on the ground beyond the trap. Wind will also cause change in where birds are hit and fall. The best shooter of our time(My opinion) taught me to shoot the bird where I see it most clear, that method works for me. Colby aka ccridr

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

How is it going to help you to know?? Just one more piece of litter in your brain but it goes well with 1 oz loads, what choke is best as long as it is less than modified, should I switch to 71/2's when I back up to the 20.

You will get enough BS to last you for a long time but I think that might be what you are looking for.

Don

12. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Too many of mine are broken about 50 yards from the trap house, as they hit the ground, and after the scorer has called, "Lost!". The rest, I break as soon as I can clearly see them, perhaps 2/3 of the way up to their apex. On windy days, I wish I had faster reaction times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.