1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How effective are hydraulic shock units?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trucido, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Hello all,

I am a very thin and athletic person and have almost no fat on my upper body...so after shooting 10 rounds this weekend, my shoulder area is quite sore. I was looking into getting a recoil unit, something like the RAD or GraCoil units, but I have been unable to find any reviews or information other than people saying 'they work great!' or 'it reduced the recoil'. Basically, I want to know how much these units will actually reduce recoil? I can't really think of some sort of comparison for how hard my gun kicks right now, so I can understand that it can be hard to quantize the amount of reduction in recoil, but maybe someone here could point me to a review or has some sort of useful information for how much these units reduce recoil?

Thanks for all of your help,
    Kyle

2. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Kyle,

It's simple. Think about running over broken concrete in your car with no shock absorbers while sitting on a thin pad over a metal seat. The gra-coil or rad system are the shock absorbers for your shoulder. I shot my gun without one for a while and didn't like it much. Now I can shoot a couple hundred rounds with no problem. I can't tell you how much it cuts it down, but it's a lot. The RAD system (hydraulic)is said to be a little better in the manufacturing and design than gra-coil which has springs. I have the gra-coil and am very satisfied. The website above may have the specifics for you.

You can also cut recoil but using lighter loads, heavier gun, or perhaps going to a semi-auto. But if you shoot a single barrel or O/U you will like a recoil system.

all the best,
    john

3. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info...

Coupla points:
    - I do know about cutting down the loads, which I will be doing once I get together all my components for reloading.
    - I understand that 'recoil' cannot be reduced, but rather the impact can be lengthened out over a longer amount of time, thereby reducing the immediate force on my shoulder, which should stop the pain
    - I understand how shocks/hydraulic units work, so I do understand WHY they should work, but I am rather asking IF they work.

If the gra-coil is just a spring...doesn't quite seem worth $300 with the install...

With regard to the counter coil, what is between the stock and the pad? I see some sort of cloth or foam material there, but I am not exactly sure what it is...

Does the counter-coil adjust for LOP & how does it compare to the RAD systems? I know that some people have said that the rad system is the best on the market, but others REALLY like the counter-coil...anyone tried both?

Thanks again for all your help guys,
    Kyle

4. redix

redix TS Member

I have an RAD on my Ljutic & a Soft Touch on my Perazzi. I can shoot more with either of than without them. But I find that the Soft Touch works better.

5. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

They work in my never to be humble opinion. Jim W

6. southpark

southpark TS Member

I think the RADII works great (I own two). Two stockfitters I've spoken with prefer it over the other solutions.

If you want the BEST available now, and can pay for it, there is nothing better than a Stock-Lock designed by Pat McCarthy. See http://www.dawsonent.com/

You're looking at $4,000 but that will come with a professional stock fitting and together will virtually eliminate pain and discomfort to your face and shoulder.

Email me at fatXXXerikcartman@yahoo.com (remove XXX) if you want to get my name and forward the recommendation along with any other suggestions I can think of.

If you can't spend that much a RAD, or probably one of the others, will certainly cut down the perceived recoil.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I now have a Stock Lock, and it is the only reason I still shoot trap. Had some shoulder problems and quit for 3 years to heal up. I can shoot Nitros if I wish w/ no discomfort after the event, but they are pricey!

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

my son is 5'11' and a drink of water over 100#. to say he is lean is an understatement. long, lanky and boney. his shoots a beretta 682 gold e combo. the felt recoil in that gun from our 1oz and 1 1/8oz reloads is a solid thump. he shoots a LOT (12k+ rounds per yr) so we decided to do it now and we put an adjustable LOP Gracoil unit on his stock.

WOW.

What a difference.

The felt recoil is significantly reduced to the point that you know the gun went off but the recoil is a gentle push of pressure rather than a solid thump. He can shoot 300 rounds per day now no problem and often will slam 200 rounds down the pipe in a couple of hours during a practice session.

Zero recoil effects. No soreness, not even tenderness.

Gracoil is a winner in my opinion...your mileage may vary.

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

What about the G-Squared? I understand it is the best of the bunch. Jake

10. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Gentlemen the "Best of the Bunch" is the Precision Fit Stock. I have Soft Touch, Gracoil, RadII and the PFS. While the PFS is not pretty the fit and recoil reduction are far above the others. My wife and I both shoot one. Jake

11. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

They work very well. I don't think I'll have a trap gun without one. Spend the money.

john

12. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Yes, the Precison Fit stock is by far the best that I have on the gun I shoot the most. I also have a Gracoil on one older gun and a Countercoil on the other. They all work OK, but I would have to say the PFS has about twice the recoil reduction of the other 2! AND it is completely adjustable in every other dimension also. With a custom paint job on mine, it also looks great. Check---MikeRicklefs.com.

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Kyle: Best thing will be to borrow a friend's gun with one, & try it. Seems nearly half the shooters out there now have a recoil-reducing device, so this should be easy to arrange. You want numbers, so I'd say the RAD-I, RAD-2 and GraCoil reduce the felt recoil about as much as a Rem 1100 does over a fixed-breech gun. Maybe 30-50%? Noticeable. A punch becomes a push. The PFS is even better, it's a real sweetheart. Try them out. Phil E

14. geterdone

geterdone Member

RAD II very east to adjust for length of pull and damping. Well made unit. got it from one of the top midwest gunsmiths during last year's State Shoot for my 13 year old sub-junior. a BT-100 had opened a sore under his cheek bone. After 15 minutes of trying different length of pull and damping, he can not shoot all day. Also added a small amount of pitch with a wedge based on the gunsmith's initial fit. A pitch adjustment can help with recoil as much as anything I have tried when the fit of the stock into the sholder pocket is the issue. Nice thing about the adjustible stock for my teenager, he gained 3 inches in height and much larger pecks from being on the weight lifting team. These changes brought back the kick to the cheek this spring. 15 minutes on adjustment with the RAD II and smooth sailing again.

15. geterdone

geterdone Member

RAD II very east to adjust for length of pull and damping. Well made unit. got it from one of the top midwest gunsmiths during last year's State Shoot for my 13 year old sub-junior. a BT-100 had opened a sore under his cheek bone. After 15 minutes of trying different length of pull and damping, he can not shoot all day. Also added a small amount of pitch with a wedge based on the gunsmith's initial fit. A pitch adjustment can help with recoil as much as anything I have tried when the fit of the stock into the sholder pocket is the issue. Nice thing about the adjustible stock for my teenager, he gained 3 inches in height and much larger pecks from being on the weight lifting team. These changes brought back the kick to the cheek this spring. 15 minutes on adjustment with the RAD II and smooth sailing again.

16. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Well - I think I'll probably spring for either a Counter-coil or RADII. PFS looks pretty slick and I would love to have one...but I can't see myself spending $1300 to put a stock on my $1600 shotgun...at least right now. :)

I think I am leaning toward the counter-coil, since it is a bit cheaper and a true hydraulic, as compared to the RAD, which appears to be a spring-mount system like the gracoil.

Once again, thank you all for your help,
    Kyle

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If you don't mind shooting a gun that looks like it came from somebody's Erector set I guess a PFS is okay . If you want the pleasure of least recoil and still have the looks of a real gun get a hydro-Coil from J-S air cushion. Jeff

18. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

You better check out the RAD systems a little closer.....they are definitely hydraulic......the spring is a helper and return spring....the main component is an adjustable orifice hydraulic cylinder.....and it is not prone to leakage like the other brand you mentioned. And.....there will soon be another system available......my own......a combination of the best features of the 2 most popular existing units with a few enhancements of my own to boot.....hopefully ready in 30 days or so...

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

19. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Ken

Will your new unit be any lighter than these others?I would like to install one on my auto but do not want a gun that is butt heavy.Does anyone use the isis system?THANKS

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

None of the units listed will fit on an auto, generally speaking. There are some case by case exceptions. Isis is pretty much a joke ,IMHO! I've installed a few of them, wasn't impressed. I have also removed several of them and put a RAD back in their place. My unit will be lighter than a comparable model RAD; to beging with, I'll have 2 versions....one with a pad adjuster, one without. Both will be adjustable for lop. Same hydraulic cylinder that RAD uses.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.