1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How does one bulge a barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BD457

BD457 Member

I was looking at a 391 that someone had for sale the other day and I noticed a nice little bulge all the way around the barrel about 3/4 of the way down. it was past the gas port bay a few inches. I got to thinking....what exactly happened? What causes the pressure to build at THAT point and then drop. Is it a broken petal from a reload? I need some help understanding how a barrel could be bulged midbarrel.

Mike

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Shooting slugs through a tight choked barrel will do it. Also a barrel obstruction followed by another shot would/could do it.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kid had a ring bulge right where the choke begins on an Ithaca XL300 auto.

Snow was the culprit that time.

HN

4. BD457

BD457 Member

Halfmile: That I can understand. Bulges at the choke or near the chamber, but it's the mid-barrel that confuses me.

Mike

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I saw an 870 TB barrel that had a little but observable bulge about 10 inches from the muzzle. The owner said it happened while he was shooting trap in the rain and must have got a little liquid water in the barrel. The owner said that he did not notice the bulge until after he was finished shooting.

This happened about 1990.

Ed Ward

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

More than likely a stuck wad that far back OR possibly a shell hull separation the managed to get that far along the barrel and wadded up on the next shot.

Matt, the old solid round "punkin balls" could cause a choke to open up but I've never heard of a rifled slug doing damage. The slugs mass is in the front rounded portion and the part riding in the barrel is a lead sleeve so to speak.

HAP

7. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

It was done by oil or lite grease in the barrel that wasn`t cleaned out before shooting it. ALLWAYS make sure the bore is dry before fireing it.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hap,

We had it happen on an old Remington Model 11 humpback I used as a kid to deer hunt with. We were shooting a few slugs before season. When we went to put it in the case there was a light bulge about 8" up from the end of the barrel. I had used that old smoothbore gun with slugs before with no issues. My Grandpa said he had seen it before with shotguns. I don't know, perhaps it was a coincidence I was shooting slugs and something else caused it.?.? The slugs were indeed those old Winchester rifled slugs you could buy for a $1 for 5 of them.

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

About the only thing that can cause a bulge is an obstruction. The pressure builds behind the obstruction from the air in the barrel being compressed by the shot charge coming toward it. The pressure builds so rapidly that the obstruction cannot be expelled before the steel barrel reaches yield point. This is commonly called the water cannon effect.

jim brown

10. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Send a PM to Barrelbulge. I'm sure he can help you.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

It ain't water drops or oil, folks. Of course, if I shot a gun with a solid obstruction in the barrel and ringed it, I probably wouldn't want to admit it, either. (Pregnant girls sometimes say the condom broke). Someone had a squib load that left a wad in there, then as jim brown points out, they sent another one up the pipe behind it. Air is compressible...up to a point. A guy did this to a TMX right next to me one time. It gets your attention. He'd been fiddling around with his new progressive loader, kept having squib loads, fumbling around his pockets, taking out the wad knocker, etc. I guess I was so focused on my handicap round, I didn't notice he failed to get a wad out. One shot later, and he had a several thousand $$$ Perazzi TMX with a sporty bulge in it.

If water drops did that, every highpower rifle I own would look like a rattlesnake that just ate a rat. (If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin').

Guns still seem to shook ok with these, but it sure is ugly.

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Steel shot is sometimes the culprit.

13. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

Buzz is correct It had to have an obstruction.

Search tags for this page

can stuck wad cause barrel bulging