1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Does *Hot* Weather Affect Your Shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

There has been a lot of talk about the affects of cold weather shooting, which stands to reason since it is the season.

I shoot year round in Michigan, but I don't particularly like it for all of the reasons that have been hashed out in other threads.

We are considering moving to Arizona, and I'm starting to wonder how (if?) shooting is affected by the extreme hot temps in the summer months.

How does extreme hot weather affect your shooting?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's a dry heat. HMB

3. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Love it!
    Shorts, sandals, relaxing in the shade - bring it on.
    It's been in the 20's here and below for over a week.

4. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Come on over to the Kalifornia state shoot where the heat "109 degrees" and humidity are quite uncomfortable and tell me how to deal with it? The sweat running down your forehead and the above conditions can really bring down the scores !

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha..... Bring on the heat!

I have shot my best scores when it was so hot at Kingsberg when shooters were passing out from the heat! Same at Las Vegas.

Must be because it helps my arthritis.

6. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Heck poacherjoe - let me daydream a little.

7. The Stive

The Stive Member

The heat does not bother me. I would rather shoot in HOT weather than in cold.
    John

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Causes me to suck down the margaritas too fast and get brain freeze.

Okay, thats a post shooting thing, the only gripe I have with the hot weather is the winds that accompany the big thermal cycles. These winds tend to peak in mid afternoon ... just when you might want to shoot some trap.

Other than that, the gun works well, the shells work well, very comfortable in a T shirt and shorts.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

AHAB: I agree with you. For Kingsburg [CA. State Shoot] the temps can reach 115 degrees - not a typo. The key is to shoot in the morning drink a lot of Gator Aide and water early and often and soak a towel in ice water and wipe down after each round. Lower your body temp with cold towel around neck and stay in the shade until shooting time. OR know someone with a motor home and stay in the air conditioning. Warm weather [not hot] really helps with back muscles and target flight. Fred from So. Ca. home of the Trojans. Fight On!

10. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I love it. Old Vandalia in August, Myrtle Beach club in July, Burning your hand on the fore end iron, Salty sweat in your eyes, Targets turning into smoke balls and the smell of Federal Papers. It don't get any better than that!!!!!!

Mike

11. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

I'd love to find out.

Mark in Maine

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'm in Fred and Ahab's camp! Hap

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Actually provided health issues are not prevelant, you will shoot your best in hot weather conditions.

I hope you really enjoy 125 degrees associated with AZ summer shooting.... Oh thats right as hmb points out, its a dry heat!

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The hotter, the better for me. "I sqwoosh you like the Grape".

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view┬Ąt=grapejuice.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

At temps above 85 degF my scores start to suffer unless the humidity is really low (and that almost never happens where I live).

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In cold weather you have alot of cloths on so your gun does not mount the way it does in the summer.

In the summer heat I just deal with it. I'm not a A/C person. I didn't grow up with it. OH wait thats a lie. I had 4 windows and 2 floor vents. Does that count as A/C? I have to laugh at these kids today. If its 70 its to hot. If its 69 its to cold. I practic in the cold and I practic in the heat of the day. You will not have a choice when you shoot at other clubs. Get use to it and you will do better then the other shooter.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Best shooting condition until over 95f.

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Love it!!

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Keeping sweat out of the eyes, legs get heat cramps, get into a/c club house then the whole body gets stiff, guess what still beats shooting in the cold.

Phil Berkowitz

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hot weather shooting is my favorite!

Light T-shirt, head band doused in ice water just before taking the line, nice roomy shorts with no drawers and my "boys" coated liberally with Gold Bond powder. The Gold Bond keeps everything dry and has the benefit of that cool tingly feeling right where it counts!

Think about that next time we shoot together Mr. Pheasant man...

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.