1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How does cold weather affect your shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to cold weather, especially if it's under 40 degrees. I am still able to average about the same from 40 and up but under 40 and I don't do well. I just can't stand cold weather. I hardly ever even hunt when it drops below 40, I just get so miserable. How does it affect your shooting? Jackie B.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My scores have suffered. I shot 61 out of 75 then finally snapped back into place to finish off with a 25 straight. I find it hard to get into the gun with all the extra layers involved. It was 9 degrees that day and windy.

3. AEP

AEP Member

Last weekend was about 40 degrees, however the wind factor made it seem like it 20 degrees.

I wear Woolrich "Malone" wool pants over my jeans. This keeps my legs pretty warm. After I got home I ordered a shooting jacket from Cabela's and some gloves. I did not buy so-called shoting gloves, but rather I purchased a pair of lambskin driving gloves. They are light with a very light wool lining. I hate gloves due to their bulkiness. Driving gloves are available at Macy's, or Nordstroms and you can try them on for fit. Next weekend, if it's as cold, I give these a try.

Note: Due to shooting in the cold last Sunday my wife just bought a pair of woolrich slip-over pants. For 20+ years she has complained about being cold when we fish for salmon, and for 20+ years I have suggested she get a pair of wool pants, and for 20+ years she has said NO. Finaly after 20 years she is buying a pair. This ought to shut-her-up about being cold.

Good Luck,
    Andy

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It was 17 degrees and windy last Sunday, nobody had signed up for trap yet so I went out for a round of skeet. That game is soooo slooooow, and I'm not good at it anyway. I was so cold by the time we started station 5, all I could think about was getting the hell out of there. Wayne

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

By not shooting in it. Come shoot in Arizona.

6. LFT687

LFT687 Member

It mmmmakes mmmme mmmmisss!!!

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Doesn't affect me at all!

If it is cold...I stay home!

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I shoot all year round, from 95 deg to 9 deg. Cold sucks. The dense air robs me of PE%. I have to wear multiple layers of clothing to keep from shivering on the line. That screws up my LOP. The collar on some of my winter coats screws up my mount and causes me to miss left. The cold robs me of shot velocity, so I'm behind some 27 yard handicap targets ( and some 21 yard targets). Cold constantly intrudes on my thoughts, robbing me of the concentration required to break the measly few targets I would actually hit if it wasn't cold.

If there really was a trap god/goddess, he/she/it would ensure all my ATA targets were shot in balmy 75 deg, 50% humidity weather so I could shoot in a t-shirt and have some hope of mounting the gun in the same spot, consistently.

And if they were really beneficent, they'd do the same for my non-ATA targets.

If there are trap gods, they surely don't smile on me, so I'm back to my original statement. Cold sucks.

9. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Gives me another excuse!!!!

:)

Scott

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I definitely shoot worse in the cold weather, and the targets have been really tough to see lately with our background of snow on the mountain-side, but I really enjoy the camaraderie of being in the clubhouse, gathered around the woodstove, joking, trading stories, etc. There's something special about that, that we don't have during the summer with all it's sweat and bugs.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm with Ahab...it doesn't affect my shooting one itty bit....cuz I ain't fool enough to be out there when its under 60 degrees

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I shoot better in cold, I thinks it's because I am in a hurry and just want to get it over with quick so I don't have time to think about anything :) I was raised in central Illinois and we shot all winter long snow and all.

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Shuts me down, will not bust a cap until warmer weather.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.