1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How does an American Make Money?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by yvonne, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'd love to get some comments on my Products.....Made in the USA .....Made from a USA American born woman that shoots clays, hunts, fish and cooks everything I shoot! (cept those orange clays) trying to make it in this economy......What do you think of my hull bag and 4 box carrier, reloader cover, curtains, etc ? I'm trying to increase sales....Looking for suggestions... Things you didn't like....Things you liked?
    How was the price for a hand made product? Do you think free shipping compensated for the cost? I know Bob Allen (Chinese made is actually cheaper but not free shipping) Please give honest opinion.....(I WILL NOT bash you on ts.com) :) I try to use a product that most people will throw away. I'm recycling canvas shot bags and making a unique product that only has the "shooting sports" as an audience. Any suggestions?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

A web site..

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

What BigM-Perazzi said is SPOT ON. These days if you don't have a website, you might as well not even exist, since your only reaching a VERY small percentage of your possible clientele. I use webs.com, its free, and very user friendly. Check out my website above.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Yvonne. Your product line is too narrow. Easy to make alternative items from other material. And too, you are asking this question in a down market. Lotta folks struggling.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hi Yvonne, You're going to make me take inventory. I've given most as gifts to friends and I think I have only 1 shell carrier left for my own use. Very handy, good quality from a great person. How can you beat that? Shoot often while we can, Bob

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

More products, web site, check other groups that do simalar things and adjust your products to their uses and needs. Just some ideas.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Hey Yvonne how are you doing? In a way some of these guys are right about expanding your product line. That fact causes me to ask myself how hard it is to get the supplies to make what you are making now.

You seem to use shot bag for material from what I have seen they are getting harder to find as the shot makers seem to be switching to plastic material.

Just my take on the matter but you do make a nice product from what I have seen. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Bob Lawless

8. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

0   0   0

You might want to consider a deal with someone who travels to all the big shoots and has items to sell. Such as Bob Schultz. This might be a good fit.

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

0   0   0

Why not put some pics and prices in this post. Maybe there are some people here who would be interested?

10. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I think a website is a good start, Ebay when they have the free listing, tables at big shoots, an actual trademark tag with website info.

Its been ruff on alot of us with factories closing and products from China is just putting us back farther and farther, Best wishes and good luck!!

Jerry

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Your question brings to mind that old question, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! From your position, you must have a product that creates a desire to purchase..something they can't do without. Heck, we have shooters that carry a five gallon pail containing their shells. Sure, a shell box carrier would be easier but they are just plain cheap. Trapshooters will drive twenty miles to save a nickel on a bag of shot.
    Start a product line dealing to the female shooter (just what, I don't know) and you won't be able to keep up with business. They seem to control & direct their buying power much better then the men & there are a lot of them. I like your products but do I need them? Heck, in forty years, I've collected every possible thing I could ever need for the game.
    A web site would help, not cheap...word of mouth by satisfied buyers, required. One bite at a time! You'll get there.

Big Jack

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

0   0   0

I don't know your whole product line but, would be more interested in the products that I've seen if they were not made from shot bags but out of a light weight canvas or mid weight nylon on some products. That's just my opinion but, I can see the novelty of the shot bags. To each his own. Different strokes for different folks.

You are to be commended for your efforts and I respect the fact you are an American Business Woman supporting the shooting sports.

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

0   0   0

In my experience, I've found a web site to be handy, it simplifies everything. But nothing compares to just plain old word of mouth. I know a good percentage of my sales come from just word of mouth both locally and over the internet. Hope this helps. Josh

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

0   0   0

One issue I forsee is the eventual elimination of the cloth shotbag... that said, what about manufacturing your offerings in traditional cloth/canvas with nubuck/leather appointments... with intermittent use of shotbag material as an offering...

Another aspect is pick your market... if you fight down in the dirt (cheap - i.e. read - inexpensive) you can't win against everyone else who is already entrenched in the market. You need a fair profit margin to stay in business.

Not knocking the product - have seen them and the quality, but the concept of using a shotbag is something that looks homemade (which it is, but better), but will not engender much interest beyond only a "segment" within the shooting sports community... do you offer products for handgunners amd rifle shooters and cowboys?! Not everyone wants the same looking product (color, design etc... and even using different manufacturers bag isn't much diversification)

I would recommend going for a more "premium" product, custom made at a higher price, promoting your use of superior materials, handmade and made in USA. Back up you product with your "guarantee" to fix or replace... very few will truly abuse the privilege if your product can hold up.

The shotbag concept is unique - but not sustainable from a materials and/or profit perspective. What product embellishments can you offer that the USA made competition (some Orvis and Galco, Wild Hare, Rooster, etc...) doesn't on their products (pockets, loops, nicer trim, better design etc... Any thought of a hanging shooting bag... like a dopp kit to hold cleaning supplies that can be hung from a hook, while shooters are on the road (in a hotel room?!) How about a cleaning pad to lay a firearm on at either a club or on the road...

Can you mock up a small order form, outlining a few custom options that can make your customers feel as if they are getting product personalization as well as your personal attention, justifying the higher pricing.

Get out there and spout your mojo from the mountain top - tell everyone you have the best custom made in the USA bag, carrier, cover, whatever... in the world - have you made a few to throw on eBay?!... throw them on Gun Broker/Auction Arms?!, Shotgun World?!, get the biggest bang for little or no money first, then budget to figure out how to advertise... Can you give a few away to get "name" folks to use your product as endorsements... seen at shoots - word of mouth can be a huge source promotion...

BTW - small boutique businesses - you have a lots of company including me...

Continued perseverance,

jay

15. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thank you for all the suggestions....I appreciate them. I've thought about expanding the line and got a few ideas here! "One issue I forsee is the eventual elimination of the cloth shotbag" That's exactly why I hope my product is appealing! I can never compete with Chinese Bob Allen, etc products. They make a very similar bag to mine but can make them in a factory that pays their workers $3 per day. We can't buy a gallon of milk for $3 anymore!!! I pay for or barter my products for good clean shot bags. Does anyone believe China pays $1 for a piece of material that's approx 15" x 15"?? Or sends you a free product because you sent in x amount of material? Again, thanks for the positive suggestions. :)

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

0   0   0

As said above,I too would prefer the material used not be a used shot bag. Find close outs at the material store and give the buyer a choice and pattern. Ray

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

How much are your PW 800B reloader covers? Do you take shot bags in trade? Do you think you will ever run out of a source of shot bags? I think bags are at least four or five years out of production. What is the exact time they were discontinued?

18. vatrap

vatrap Member

0   0   0

Yvonne,

Any chance you could start making custom gun socks for breakdown shotguns?
    There is always somebody on here looking for some, fortunately they don't take much material and you could use something besides shot bags for your products since they are in a diminishing supply. I'm sure if you could monogram them as well there would be some demand.

Mike

19. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

0   0   0

Yvonne,

The shot makers have to get their canvas bags made somewhere, why not contact them to see where, and ask if you could have new rolls of material printed with their logo. This way, you could even get it in wider widths. Also let them know that this would be free advertisement for them, plus you could Even get a heavier weight material if needed. You could also have other companies logo printed on a roll.................Rick Johnson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.