1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How does a perpetual purse work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bobdog, Jul 18, 2013.

1. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I'm the trap guy at a Chicago club, and new at it. Somebody suggested to me that I set up a perpetual purse for a trophy shoot I'm planning next year. Sounds like a good idea at first glance, but I'm not sure how the mechanics work.

How's it work? Is it an option, or included as a part of the basic entry fee? If it's an option, how much should the buy-in be? Ten bucks? How's it paid out? How does it build up? Does it apply to a single event, like a handicap? How is the payout split up among winners?

I'm purely guessing here, but it sounds like an option, where shooters contribute to the purse, and some of the purse is withheld and built up over a period of time. So if there was a $1,000 purse, and 70% was paid out each year, the first year payout would be $700, with $300 carried over and added to next year's purse. Assuming another $1,000 the next year, the purse would be $1300 and $910 would be paid out (1300 X 70%), with $390 carried over to the following year.

Seems like after a few years, the purse could get pretty tasty. Is this worth doing?

2. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

The ones that I've seen have sponsors names next to the corresponding post that you would break 25's on. I'm guessing thats where the initial money comes from to get it started. So say you break 25 on posts 1 and 3 you win the bob's mower service pot. It's always an option. Usually between $15-20. Usually handicap only also. Thats about the only questions I can answer for ya. - Zach

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Around here it is an $18 option on Handicap events with 6 ways to win. The shooter has to break two 25's in the handicap event. Can be on rounds 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 2&3, 2&4 or 3&4. Each combination has its own purse. A winning shooter gets half of the amount in the purse with the remainder carried over to the next shoot. Hence the "Perpetual" in the name.

Local businesses can be recruited for the seed money and the purse carries their name as advertisement. Also the $18 entry gets divided 6 ways and $3 is added to each pot

Payouts can be sizable although the yardage reductions on the last 2 years have increases the number of winners(and reduced the size of the pot)

Talk to the guys at St Charles or Downers. Peoria and Chilli offer one too.

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tanda described the way ours runs. I patterned it after Peoria's.

We started the Perpetual Purse at Downers Grove SC in Morris, Il. with 6 name sponsor donations of $200 each. This gave them their name on one of the 6 purses for as long as we have the purse. Ours was around $7,000 for the last shoot.

The only thing I would add to Tanda's description, ties divide, so you never pay out more than 50% of any purse.

It does bring in shooters from miles around. Harv

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Shotshell is the guy to talk to about perpetuals. Lots of participation at his club.

I didn't mention in the previous post but a shooter can win multiple pots/purses.
    For example a 97 with scores of 25-22-25-25 would get a piece of the purse on rounds 1&3,1&4 and 3&4. Adds up quickly.

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I was a little embarrassed to ask. It was a naive question.

Ted sent me a flyer from St. Charles which pretty much explains things. Thanks for setting me straight. I might just try this next year. Sounds like a way to spice things up a bit for the more experienced shooters.

Much appreciated, guys.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is a perpetual purse. In NC several clubs have a MID-Fifty for caps. Everyone who wants to participate puts about $5.00 in and the first person to get 50 on the second & third box of caps splits whatever is in the pot. Must have had to shoot at the club at least once and have participated in the Mid-fifty in the current target year.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

As a side note, we had 2 shooters run 3-25's Sunday and they were not all the same 25's, so the Purse took a pretty good hit. Shooters like to receive checks in the $1k to $2k range like these guys will. Word spreads fast. Harv

9. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

TANDA1 it right, you only win 1/2 of the purse.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't play options, but I seem to always play the DGSC perpetual when I get down there... even this blind squirrel can hopefully find a nut one of these days!

Jay

BTW... since you mentioned your Chicago affiliation - which Chicago Club?! - there aren't all that many that claim Chicago...

j.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That's what my Ex-wife used to consider my wallet

Search tags for this page

perpetual burse

perpetual purse entries

what is a perpetual purse in trap shooting