1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Does a Guy Start a High School Trap Program?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darryl101, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I have some youth shooters that are interested in starting a high school trap team here in ND. I would like to help them out but don't have the foggiest idea on how/where to start. I am aware that many states already have programs and was hoping they would be so kind as to give us a few pointers on kicking this thing off.......and if it takes off, how to keep it rolling.

It sounds simple.........but I know better.

Thank You,

Darryl Howard
    Bismarck, ND

2. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Get the February Issue of Field & Steamn and read pages 24 & 25. Then, contact these guys.

Also, go to the ATA website and access the AIM program and contact them. AIM is the ATA youth & academic trap shooting program.

this should get you started with experiened folks !

yea for you, good luck.

js in PA

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Darryl101, I sure hope you can work it out. Over the my years at the high school kids have asked me to start Trap shooting. Being in a burb of chicago there is not a chance in hell.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Bruce speaks for Central Ohio as well.

My son tried and got shot down (no pun intended)

To many liberals;... didnt want any part of it.

To my surprise quite a few girls showed interest.

Regards....Gerald

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

AIM and SCTP. AIM as mentioned is aligned with the ATA. We shoot as a team from the school, with the name of the school and practice on the school grounds, but the school is not affiliated with the program. There has been a trap at the school since 1974. The kids practice, shoot league once a month (if we have enough), shoot State if we have enough, go shoot sporting clays once a season paid by club,.... The have fun for $25 a kid. Shells and rock are furnished. State shoot is on their nickel. We have our own liability insurance. Get the FFA teacher certified in Hunter Safety and they can teach that in their class. Will make the school feel better and maybe save a life, an eye,....

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

the 4h can help also

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We are having good results with the SCTP, google that or go to sssfonline.com for all the details. I would think you will have quite abit of intrest in your area, Also don't turn down any offers for help. A lot of folks are willing to pitch in but they may feel unqualified if they aren't trap shooters. Let them know that you are willing to have them learn the ropes as you go.

Good luck and thanks for wanting to bring our sport to the next generation.

8. sjmercer1

sjmercer1 TS Member

We have a growing high school trapshooting sport here in Iowa. I'm an assistant coach for a team in North Iowa. To many details to put on here. Please email me if you'd like and we can talk. It's worth it in the end--the kids love it!
    Steve

9. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

You might want to check out the Web site above to see what you can learn. My daughter is starting this Spring. You can letter in trap at her school!

David

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Contact the California State Director for SCTP. He has successfully launched a number of high schools teams and even has a manual on how to do it on the CA SCTP website (click on link above).

Gail Miller's contact information is in the manual.

Call him - what an asset he has been to junior shooting in the State of CA.

11. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

Boys,

Thanks for all your help!

Steve, I flung an email at you!

ffwildcat, I am in the process of printing out that link!

Again, thanks a million!

Darryl

While I'm back on this dang thing I thought I needed to add my 2 cents worth about youth TRAPshooting.

I do not think youth shooting is the "save all" to trapshooting. Many youth trapshooters never return to the game after the free ride is over and I'm fine with that and even understand why to some extent. IMHO Even if they never return to any shooting sport I feel we have done our part, hopefully to the best of our ability, in preserving our shooting heritages. All of these kids who may never shoot again still know that shooting is fun. They have learned that not all guns are killers....just the people behind them who use them for that purpose. If they happen across an unsafe gun act they know enough to make the situation safe or at the very least "get the hell out of the way". They have had an absolute blast, while being perfectly safe, with a firearm in their hands. They met lots of dandy gun-toting folks that are pure pleasure to be around. These same kids may have learned leadership roles as squadleader or maybe they knew the rules well enough to "do the right thing" in a situation that might have otherwise went undetected or uncontested.

All of these assets they gained were learned in a pro-gun atmosphere. How cool is that? How can you put value on that? The true value shows up every time they fill out a ballot. At least that is my hope!

OK. Now I'm done.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Darryl,
    It does not matter in the least if any of these kids sticks with trap shooting long term. What does matter is that adults are spending time with kids and a good time may be had by all involved. Both sides take positive life experiences away from the deal. Beats the heck out of the kids just hanging out with nothing to do other than video games and substance abuse.

But don't sell your efforts short before you get out of the gate, young people (boys and girls) love to shoot guns and compete with one another. They might put the shooting on hold when life becomes real for them but I'll bet they will be back to shooting when they can.

Good Luck and have Fun!

13. Short_Pockets

Short_Pockets Member

14. maka

maka Member

Dayrall: I would suggest you approach a local club. See if they are interested in providing any monetary assistance towards shells, reduced memberships, and or shooting fees. Then when at your local baseball, basketball, or other sporting event spread the word. This way you will see who is truly interested. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.