1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How does a choke tube get stuck?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I often read threads asking how to free a stuck choke tube.

But how does a tube get stuck? Are we talking rust after a gun gets wet? If my gun is in the rain I remove the choke-tubes, then wipe them and the barrel threads with a gun rag.

I probably shoot sporting or 5-stand about once a month, and remove my SKEET chokes and replace them with Light Mod. I wipe them down with the same oily rag I use to wipe down the gun. They always go in and out without easily.

Maybe once a year I remove the choke tubes from my tube-set and wipe them off.

So what is being done, or not done, when they get stuck?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Corrosion from not being lubed properly and not being removed from time to time.

ss

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many things can result in a stuck choke tube. Corrosion is but one cause. The threads on the tube and in the barrel are far from a perfect match. There are irregular gaps between these surfaces. Excessive pressure can deform these spaces and result in a bind. Lubricants can become thick under some conditions and develop into a weak adhesive. Barrels and tubes can become deformed resulting in a bind. In machinery, it is not uncommon for a screw to go in easily but after a little time, come out with difficulty. The quality of the threads is a prime problem. Few have the skill or equipment to hone threads properly.

Pat Ireland

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Typically its corrosion... imagine repeated heating and cooling... expansion and contraction, plus introduce additional moisture and voila! Two somewhat dissimilar metals may also interact - I can't recall that term - but that creates another variable...

The mechanics I shoot with, introduced me to "anti-seize" for use on nuts/bolts in automotive applications - messy if applied too liberally... a little dab with do ya!

Respectfully offered,

Jay

5. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

You don't have to shoot in the rain to have a corrosion problem. Someone mentioned heating and cooling, but even more moisture is a product of combustion! As chokes are not a perfect fit, some of the water vapor from combustion along with the by products of carbon and powder residue will get behind the choke tube. If you leave it long enough, it will rust in the bore.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

After a bunch of shooting I have had the plastic from the wad melt and get between the choke and the i.d. of the barrel causing them to stick.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Galvanic corrosion..........Wayne

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

blkcloud,

You may want to change the brand of wads you are using. I've never had plastic build-up that bad.

ss

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

One more thought....if you have one out and clean it, be sure to clean the threads in the barrel also..if they are not cleaned out, along with the shoulder the tube seats on, you can get crud between the tube and the barrel, sometimes binding the tube, sometimes ruining it...if it can't seat fully at the bottom.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Thank you Wayne!

Just turned 50... lost a few more brain cells!

Jay

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

So it seems my monthly wipe-down is adequate. I should have probably added that about once a year I give the threads in the barrel a simple clean-out. I wonder what would have happened if I started using a different gun for sporting/5-five and left the SKEET choke tubes in from rain to rain?

12. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I am just thankful that my old Perazzi MX-8 does not have choke tubes!

Allen

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

If you clean you gun and remove the choke tube evey time. You will never have a problem with stuck choke tubes.

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

When I change tubes I put a drop of grease on the threads and sleeve. I would have to check tightness if I hand tightned but not if I used the wrench. The next change was effortless.

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I also oil mine every time and just keep them slightly tighter than hand tight. I have never had a problem with any of my several weatherbys or brownings or remingtons.

16. atashooter

atashooter Member

Gremlins... they sneak in at night, and tighten your choke tube with a pipe wrench...:)

17. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Then you should be able to loosen it with a pipe wrench. LOL

18. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I now use STOS Multipurpose Lubricant and have never had a problem with a choked choke again.

When I used the other popular types, they inevitabley dried up and/or got thick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.