1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How doe these loads sound?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rancher, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rancher

rancher TS Member

Remington STS
    CCI 209
    17.5 grains of Red Dot
    Federal 12SO
    1 oz. of #8's

or

that same load with a TGT wad instead of the Federal.

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I would use the TGT wad.
    Don

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

me too...........or maybe a WAA12SL, the Federal 12SO wad is designed for straight walled hulls.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

The 17.5 gr is just what I use for same load---Perfect---MYSTIC---

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Downrange lime green XL wad works good with this load too.Jerry

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have used this load with 17gr. of Red Dot for many years.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use the TGT-12 a lot, but there are several wads that will do also, including the 12S0. The 12S0 really seems to come into it's own when the velocities increase. At the velocities you would get from 17 or 17.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, the TGT-12 should do just fine.

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I have used this load with 17gr. of Red Dot for many years.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use the TGT-12 a lot, but there are several wads that will do also, including the 12S0. The 12S0 really seems to come into it's own when the velocities increase. At the velocities you would get from 17 or 17.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, the TGT-12 should do just fine.

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'm listening.........I can't hear a thing.................don't mind me I'm just a wiseass..............always was,always will be.....YUKYUKYUK

D.P.Reynolds

11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

My guess from reviewing all of the data presented above:

Those loads should sound....LOUD!

(sans any consideration of D.P.'s comments...he must be using too much hearing protection)

miltie...:)

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Hope this is not too much thread drift but I have a bunch of 12SO wads I need to use up, which cases are straight wall?

13. rancher

rancher TS Member

I'm about to load some of these up right now and see how they do tomorrow...

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well I don't want anyone to get mad at me but this is how I see it. There are enough reloading manuals on line that if you wish to know about load you should check it there.

Unpublished loads are not the right way to reload until you see it in print you shouldn't take anyone's word for anything. If you know the people you are asking fine if not. You don't even know if the people you are getting answers from have ever even loaded a shell before. Worth thinking about!!!

Bob Lawless

15. rancher

rancher TS Member

That is true...

16. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I find this funny, you are on line and for some reason it is to hard to google Alliant or Hogdon. I would want to know how fast and what the pressure is,pressure to high or to low is a bad thing. John 8703697

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I would think the load is okay, but you will have a little more pressure using the straight wall wad in a tapered hull, and a little more recoil.

John

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Before there were 1 ounce target load wads available, we'd use that load with a 12S3 in a Blue Magic (pretty close to an STS). 12SO might be tight fit.

We'd get a little bulge in the hull with that wad (12S3), but it was the best we could with what was available at the time. AA12sl or clone might be a better wad choice.

I was looking for less recoil, so I've used as low as 16.0 grains of Red Dot. Unless recoil is a major issue, 16.5 might be a better minimum. That wad with 7/8 ounce of shot would be even less recoil, and probably a better fit.

BTW - We got those loads from Tom Roster, and he had them checked and certified okay by Hercules (no Alliant back then).

19. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Well some published recipes are better than others. Some don't work very well and some don't even fit without major alterations to your loader! The OP may just be seeking some advice from someone with "hands on" experience. Of course its also possible that he already has 10,000 of the wads and wants a way to use them up!

20. rancher

rancher TS Member

It's not hard John, I've done it hundreds of times looking at different loads. It's pretty simple actually. Thanks for the replies, going shooting in the morning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.