3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  rancher 
#1 ·
Remington STS
CCI 209
17.5 grains of Red Dot
Federal 12SO
1 oz. of #8's

or

that same load with a TGT wad instead of the Federal.

#9 ·
I use the TGT-12 a lot, but there are several wads that will do also, including the 12S0. The 12S0 really seems to come into it's own when the velocities increase. At the velocities you would get from 17 or 17.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, the TGT-12 should do just fine.

#8 ·
I use the TGT-12 a lot, but there are several wads that will do also, including the 12S0. The 12S0 really seems to come into it's own when the velocities increase. At the velocities you would get from 17 or 17.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, the TGT-12 should do just fine.

#14 ·
Well I don't want anyone to get mad at me but this is how I see it. There are enough reloading manuals on line that if you wish to know about load you should check it there.

Unpublished loads are not the right way to reload until you see it in print you shouldn't take anyone's word for anything. If you know the people you are asking fine if not. You don't even know if the people you are getting answers from have ever even loaded a shell before. Worth thinking about!!!

Bob Lawless

#18 ·
Before there were 1 ounce target load wads available, we'd use that load with a 12S3 in a Blue Magic (pretty close to an STS). 12SO might be tight fit.

We'd get a little bulge in the hull with that wad (12S3), but it was the best we could with what was available at the time. AA12sl or clone might be a better wad choice.

I was looking for less recoil, so I've used as low as 16.0 grains of Red Dot. Unless recoil is a major issue, 16.5 might be a better minimum. That wad with 7/8 ounce of shot would be even less recoil, and probably a better fit.

BTW - We got those loads from Tom Roster, and he had them checked and certified okay by Hercules (no Alliant back then).

#19 ·
Well some published recipes are better than others. Some don't work very well and some don't even fit without major alterations to your loader! The OP may just be seeking some advice from someone with "hands on" experience. Of course its also possible that he already has 10,000 of the wads and wants a way to use them up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.