1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you use Kroil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Jun 27, 2013.

1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I bought 2 aerosol cans of Kroil to use on a tractor. I was wondering what is the best way to use it on my trap guns. Should I just spray it on and if so, where? Should I wipe a little on? Should I wipe it dry or leave it "wet"? Is it safe on wood?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use it for a lot of things. Here is what I do with my guns. I spray a small amount on a paper towel and run it through the bore. I do the same thing to another piece of paper towel and wipe the gun down. It takes very little. I also like the areosol cans better than the oil can type because it creeps so bad that it is hard to keep in the oil can LOL. It is really wonderful stuff. I could not get my spark plugs out of my truck so I gave them a shot and withing minutes they came loose easily

3. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

It is a great way to clean the bores of my guns and shotguns. IMO it is better than Remoil. There are some better cleaners-protectors than it though. I use Eezox out in the open and Slip 2000 EWL indoors to protect the barrels from corrosion. Eezox has chlorinated cleaners in it(think Brakeclean) that is not good to inhale, so use it in a well ventilated area. Both Eezox and slp 2000 EWL have synthetic lubricants that bind with the molecular structure of the metal(fills in the pores of the metal) to provide SUPERIOR rust protection and prevents premature wear of the metal due to friction, just like synthetic oil in a car engine. Neither attract dust and dirt, unlike conventional oils or lubes. I typically use Kroil,Hoppes and Remoil to initially clean(because I have a lot of these left over previously) then use Slp EWL or EEzox to finish the cleaning, lube stage. How do I know it is better? When cleaning, a few passes with the cleaning patch brings all the plastic fowling out in a sheet. I am done in a minute or so. It is a beautiful thing! Try these after your Kroil cleaning, I think you will like it. Pete

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it after this week's shoot.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have used Slip 2000 but have had a hard time finding it. Also, I don't really know how good it is as a lubricant.

6. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Keep away from wood. jim w

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I use Kroil mainly for frozen bolts and nuts. It can do an unbelievable job in that respect. I have never seen any info on it's actual lubricating ability, but would find it hard to believe something containing teflon (Slick 50 One Lube, for example) wouldn't beat Kroil hands down. If I find something that's started to rust, I'll give it a shot of Kroil before I do anything else. I also will spray down any of my tools that have a tendency to rust or I have gotten wet.

As far as using Kroil on my trapguns, I haven't needed to yet (knock on wood), but if I see rust starting, I will, or if a choke gets stuck I, will. Until then, I'll just use it for everything else. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

8. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

slp 2000 is used extensively on chainguns in Afghanistan and Irag by the troops because of its ability to lubricate them in the heat, sand and sun over thousands of rounds. I have also seen its corrosion resistant properties demonstrated in several independent tests against a lot of popular oils and products. Midway sells it. Kroil does a good job of cleaning, don't know if I would use it as a lube though. Good luck!

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Thanks, guys. That was the kind of info I was looking for.

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Kroil has been around since the 1920's as a machinist's penetrating oil, and it's a good product. A lot of benchrest shooters use a 70/30 or 60/40 mix of Shooter's Choice or Butch's Bore Shine and Kroil not only on the bore but as a barrel wipedown. Use a solvent-proof squeeze bottle. Cleans and leaves a very light coating of oil on surfaces. Seems to me that it's too thin to use as a lubricant.

I've used it for years.

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

+1 on the 50/50 mix of Kroil and Shooters Choice

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

So if I am looking for a lubricant and protectant, I should use something else like Slip 2000, etc. The Kroil is still very useful for use on my tractor and other implements which are exposed to the elements and the possibility of rust.

Thanks. Time will tell!

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use Butch's and Kroll 50/50 on my Bench rest rifles. Real common.

14. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

Kroil and Shooters Choice 50/50 for me. Nothing I've found cleans as good, and as fast.

15. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Isn't "shooters Choice" actually GM Top Engine Cleaner whatever that really is used for?

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The GM top engine cleaner is not available any more. It is the best carbon remover I have ever seen, but I suppose there are a couple good ones out there.

I put some on a piston from a blown up snow blower and it went right through to the aluminum. I had 3-4 other things on the piston as a test but the TEC went down to the metal and the carbon wiped off.

GM has a spray can version now but it's not the same stuff. There is a spray can used in outboards that may be good, Mercury dealers have it.

I have provided a very good link to some testing done by an individual. I would take it as gospel since I had the same results in a lesser version.

HM

17. just_bob

just_bob Member

I like to mix it with virgin mink oil.

Problem is minks are so promiscuous

It's had to find a virgin.

18. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

Ditto, with the GM top engine cleaner. Mix 50/50 with kroil, was the best center fire rifle bore cleaner ever.

19. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I have used Kroil as a penetrating oil for 40 years and it is the best. I have also used it to clean bores and to coat bullet moulds.

I would never consider using the stuff on the outside of a gun for one simple reason.

It stinks! And it doesn't just wash off either.

I have been soaked in the stuff many times and I can't stand the smell.

Frog Lube is my new lubricant of choice.

It is much slicker than Kroil, it penetrates the surface of the metal, it smells good, and it won't hurt wood.

Best stuff I've ever seen.

Randy

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I like the way Kroil smells.