1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you use a two trigger gun at doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

How do you grip a two trigger gun for doubles?

I know you pull the forward trigger first.

Do you slide your hand after the first shot or just move your finger?

Any advice other than "just do it" is appreciated.

Picture at post 5 below.

Honestly, I have never shot doubles and the two triggers has me a little spooked.

Lou

2. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Lou, If your gun has a straight grip...slide your whole hand, if your gun has a pistol grip you have no choice...in which case at least one of the triggers will feel awkward. JMHO. Cheers-Graham.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you have a straight-hand stock or a bag grip ... Prince of Wales, or Semi-pistol grip, just relax your grip and re-grip while looking for the 2nd bird, and your finger will be where it needs to be.

With a full pistol-grip, you almost have to set up for the back trigger and reach for the front, and fingertip it.

If you shoot right-hand bird first, you have a treat in store for you if you keep a pretty relaxed front hand ... the right-side recoil/torque will make your left-hand bird ... RIGHT THERE!, especially if you 'ambush' the first bird with a short, lateral movement. All it is then is ... touch1 & swat2.

Bob

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

All my double trigger guns are straight grip game guns. I don't really move my hand much for the back trigger, the first trigger is on the right side of the trigger housing, and the second is on the left, that took care some of the "over-finger" issue. I just curve my finger differently.

5. Bushmaster1313

Here is the set up.

Is this a "semi" or a "full" pistol grip?

I shoot left hand

[​IMG]

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

That's a semi-pg.

Left-handed ... not an issue: fingetip the front trigger, re-grip and you're THERE.

7. Bushmaster1313

Cool (term I learned from my kids)

Can't wait to try it out!

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bush, if you want to shoot left-hand bbl first, then reach and 'slap' the front trigger, you have plenty of time, but you need to make sure your grip is closer & tighter. (my son is left-handed, and I shoot left-handed regularly). It works.

if you want to REALLY show your double-trigger artisty, re-shape them to look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bushmaster1313

Goatskin

You can't post a picture like that without saying what it is, when and where it was made, what it sootes and what type of score you get at doubles!

Regards

Lou

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

That was made in 1797, by Durs Egg, London. It is a 14bore, and, technologically, was the pinnacle of flintlock technology. Lock time was in the 6ms range.

I owned the gun for about a year, and I hunted with it. As a matter of fact, the first double on geese I ever got was with that piece: both webs-up in the air.

I took it to the range a couple of times, too.

If you like those kind of things, this is my current 'quail' gun. It is a 28bore and was made in 1753: 37gn of fffG, fiber wad, 7/8oz of shot & twist of newspaper to keep the shot in. It is death on a soda cracker as a singles machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, I bet that shotgun is a total hoot to shoot!! Especially doubles but not on sideXside quail flushes!! Great looking shotgun Bob!

Hap

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Hap, as long as the wind was blowing a little, it wasn't so bad to drop a pair on the rise, and it was a true martial piece.

'Flintheart' was her name: absolutely merciless and bloodthirsty.

Bob

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, you'll hafta bring that 28 to AZ and help me with a few Mearns? Great little shotgun you have there and a pleasure to shoot too I'd wager!

I've shot a few flinters at trap years ago and it was a lot of fun depending on the breeze direction. One learns what follow through really means shooting a flint shotgun!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.