1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you transport your O/U to the trap range?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K4AA, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K4AA

K4AA TS Member

Just bought a Citori XT combo that comes with an impressive piece of fitted luggage. However it weighs more than the gun. It is very fancy etc and would not benefit from riding in the trunk. What do you guys use to transport your O/U or combo rather than dinging up the fancy case? I am a newcomer to the sport so any ideas are welcome.

Joe Squarzini

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Joe: I have a Beretta 682 combo. I carry it in a Beretta hard case. Your "impressive piece of fitted luggage", has an important purpose. (To protect your gun). No soft case will protect your gun as well as your hard case. After a while if your case has a few dings, so be it. That means it's doing it's job. Use it.. Ed

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Transportation is done by armored car with two guards. Case is chained to my wrist as I walk from the parking lot to the field assembly area. Gun is assembled under the watchful eye of the range master. Ammunition is transported in a separate guarded vehicle. The Barney Fife method of 'shell ditribution" is used = I get one shell at a time handed to me by a guard. Oh by the way, I live in California. Fred

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I use the factory hard cases or after market hard cases for my trap guns and target guns.

Soft cases for most of the other guns (Cowboy/Hunting).

Don

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I use a Winchester hard case for my Browning Broadway o/u. It goes in the trunk and I don't worry about any scuffs or dings. Between the case weight, the gun weight and the other stuff in the case it doesn't move in the trunk.

Eric

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Can anyone say "Americase"? LOL

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My combo rides in an Americase. Damn thing weighs 33 lb's, but it sure does a nice job protecting the gun. Case does get a few character marks but that's what it was made for.

8. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I use an after market aluminum case. I would rather put a ding in the case vs the gun! And try as they might, the airlines never were able to damage the contents! It's handy for carrying spare parts and various tools,(screw drivers, allen wrenches, etc.) bore snake, bottle of oil and other misc. items.

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I am a bit different than most trap shooters that go through the ritual of assembling and disassembling the guns at the range.

I bought a Do-All Flight-Proof case from Cabela's (double scoped rifle size) that weighs 57 lbs and put in the back of my Expedition. It never leaves the truck except the rare occasions I have to haul some folks. It provides "bullet-proof" protection for my guns and, while heavy I am not lugging it around.

Anyway, my guns go in it assembled and after shooting they return to it wiped down but still assembled. No assembly required at the range. When I get back to the house, the guns go into the gun room for cleaning and storage. I do not store guns in cases. They are placed in gun racks.

All my trap guns have fitted cases that stay in the house for waiting for the day that the gun is sold. I don't get them beat up on the outside and the inside doesn't get the grease and wear.

YMMV

HBT

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Americase......

Ronbo

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

An AMERICASE is a very fine case, almost a work of art in itself. If you are picky about the finish of your Americase, they offer cordura zip on covers that fit completely over your case. This all but eliminates scratches on the case, even with airport baggage handlers. Of course, like others mentioned, you have no worries about your gun once it is secure in that quality of case.

12. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use a double gun case, (americacase), it takes 2 men and a boy to carry it, but the 2 berettas it carries stay in great shape.

tony

13. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

If your just going to the range for the day and its local, I use a Soft Type gun case. If its travel in the car, my Americase. If it is on a plane, my Starlight Case (military grade gun luggage).

All the cases available have a specific job. It's up to you to decide what job specification you need.

Good luck.

14. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Protect the gun first, put it in the hard case. If your worried about your new case getting dings, wrap it in a big old long beach towel, then put it in the trunk. That should do it.

15. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I would use the hard case that came with the shotgun. When I brought my P gun it came with a hard case and I am glad I used it. I have a mini-van which the rear door goes up when opened. I was coming home from a trap shoot and going up a hill when I heard a noise of something hitting something. When I looked out the back my rear door was up and I could see my P gun case bouncing down the road. Very little damage to case, P gun OK. That very week I get a notice for my van to take it to the dealer because the rear door can open up by itself.

16. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I transport mine in a soft case.I just set on the back seat of my extended cab truck.I started out with the Browning take down case but got tired of taking it apart and putting it back together.I just shoot local clubs within 30 miles of my house.Regards.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rudy used to take the 870 in a soft case, strapped across the seat on his Harley.

So I get a call one morning after league night, he's looking for an 870 stock.

Yep, you guessed it. He went between 2 cars when he got home, forgetting about the gun. (some beers were involved)

Broke off the stock, But the Harley lost about 200 bucks worth of spotlights.

I won't let him forget it to this day.

HM

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hard.. lockable single.. or multi gun aluminum case.. I use to bring no less than 6 and often 10 or 12 to the gunclub.. for all my friends.. and new shooters to shoot.. Alot of weight for a soft case..

19. Drusso

Drusso Member

I have an Americase Double that we drag to the range every Friday night. This is the best case I believe you can protect you gun with. I gave up fitness training since this beast is all the workout you need. My son refers to it is the "boat anchor". I think he is being modest...........................

Damian

20. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I want to bought an Americase because it givesw moreprotection than my Perazzi hard case. Sure its heavy, but I don't want to get too soft in my old age anyway! its the best protection you can get.

CQ K4AA DE W8KS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.