Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how do you tell the fake feathering on 870

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Garry 
#1 ·
I have a friend that has a 870 and he reduced the comb only to find out that it had some kind of decal or something. This would fool the adverage or simi-expert like me into thinking it was feather crotch walnut.How do you tell the difference and how did they do it.I am a hobby artist thinking I can refinnish my old 870 . Looks like maybe maple syrup colored transparent stain.

dumb wood expert

#7 ·
I believe it is Beretta that uses a lot of it also.....It's a computer generated film that floats on top of a tank of water and the item is dipped into it. Some of it looks better than real wood. There are places that will do single items like gunstocks.....A little Goggle and you'll find them and all the info ya need.

#9 ·
Not any different than the process they use to put camo on a bow, or firearm. They have a computer generated ink film image sprayed on top of water, or some chemical. Then they raise the object out of that tank and the ink film image tranfers onto the object. Neat process to watch. Jon

#13 ·
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 2</title>
</head>

<body>

Remington's Realwood stock are not veneer. They are 2 really nice pieces of solid walnut with a carbon fiber layer in the center.

Baseball bat Wood

Shotgun Wood Air gun

</body>

</html>

#15 ·
While not an expert by the standards here, I was looking at a Beretta several years ago with the most amazing wood. And I looked at it hard. It was only a small wear spot that revealed that it was a transfer of painted grain on a truely unremarkable piece of wood. Honestly I was amazed at how good it looked and how real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.