1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you start a Highschool trap club???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hi everyone. I'm from minnesota and there is a state high school shooting league for my state. I'm looking for advice on what steps and such to take to get a club going through my school. Like what costs would likely be and how it should best be run. There is a large group of us and it was decided that I would head up the creation of the club. Please offer all advice and help that can be given, we would all greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you, Matt.

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

State Delegate

Ronald Noren

917 3Rd Ave S

St James , MN 56081

H: (507)-375-5270

E: ronnoren@embarqmail.com

Good Morning Matt !

First of all, congratulations to you for heading up your HS trap team. We need more youngsters like you.

Above you will find a copy of your Sate's Delegate's name, address, phone #, and email, taken from the ATA website: www.shootata.com

I think I would begin by contacting this gentleman and asking him for some advice. Don't be afraid to call the man, as you will find these Delegates are more than happy to assist in any way they can. He may know of another person for you to contact that is involved with the same thing as you, so you can get more ideas.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Dave in SC

3. Croixlings

Croixlings TS Member

In Minnesota it's pretty easy. Follow the link above and get in contact with Jim. I'm a teacher and the head coach for our school's team on the east side of the Twin Cities metro. I did exactly what you're trying to do now just last year. Jim had lots of time to talk me through the process. You'll most likely need an advocate inside the school such as a trap shooting teacher who is willing take the idea and run. This will be the hardest part if you're not already working in the school yourself.

Last year we limited the size of our team to 15 shooters. Each shooter paid $200 for the season for targets and shells. They each shot about 25 rounds over the season. Our sponsoring club, The Oakdale Gun Club, was very generous with manpower, team shirts, and their facilities.

There are quite a few teams in the south metro already. Contact Jim and if he can't answer your question, he'll know someone who will. He's a very nice gentleman who administers the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League in his retirement. Good Luck!

Ken

http://mnclaytarget.com/home.html

4. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Hi Matt.

I have started two youth programs and am the SCTP State Director for New York. I am certified as an NCDS Coach Instructor, as well as a serious competitor. My advice comes with many years of experience in making these youth programs work, successfully.

The first thing you need to do is get yourself aligned with a good gun club. Hopefully, you can find one that offers several disciplines. The reason for this is very simple, your kids will be able to compete for the many scholarships that are offered, which are not limited to just trap.

I would also get in touch with the Head Coaches from the other programs in your area and I am sure that they can give you some incredible insight on the direction you want to take.

I would also find out who your rep is from the NRA. There is grant money you can apply for. Grant deadline dates are different in every state, so go to NRA.com and follow the link to the FRIENDS OF THE NRA site.

The SCTP program also offers comprehensive insurance as well as endowment monies that you could tap into.

I am happy to be of assistance to you in this matter. Questions can be directed to my e-mail at CASABELLAPROPERTIES@HOTMAIL.COM
    and my name is Catherine Barney.

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

Others have offered a lot of good leads.

I help with the county 4H program and also help a few of the FFA chapters near where I work with some shotgun shooting sports events.

I hope you do not run into what one of the schools here did when the FFA program tried to get started with some clay target projects. The principal and district business manager put the stop to it by deciding it was too dangerous and a host of other poor reasons based on the other events they allow to occur under the school umbrella so to speak.

I felt really bad for those kids for the way they got jerked around by those administrators.

6. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

You guys live in a different world....I'm in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

The idea of this here is [unfortunately] laughable! My Club has a junior Trap (AIM) program, but there'd be not chance of a school affiliation.

Here, just to posess a fired hull, a state-issued Firearms ID is required....

Best of luck!

7. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

Matt, Ken gave you the best contact link for MN HS Trapshooting above. Jim Sable has made this mission his sole passion and he's done a great job.

The Minneapolis Gun Club has been hosting the MN State High School Trapshooting Championship for the last 3 years. The first year we had 123 participants and this past June there were 511 participants. Thats quite an increase, and there are 20 more schools inquiring about 2012.

At MGC we have 7 local schools shooting their leagues and practicing. If you have any questions that aren't getting answered let me know and I'll get you in contact with a school representative that will guide you through the process.

Good luck in getting a team going.

Jim W

8. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Same with the People's Republic of New Jersey.

9. SouthMetro Shooter

My 4H coach and I are working to get a team going. Thanks everyone for their help! And for curiositys sake. For a first year shooter, is a 23 average at the 16 yard line good?

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It depends. If he has shot 10 rounds of 25, pretty good. If 100 rounds of 25, average. If 200 rounds of 25, he needs to pick it up a little. LOL

11. SouthMetro Shooter

About 20 rounds. Traps aren't set daily either. Went to a club a few days ago and got 2 25s of 125.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.