1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you ship to Briley?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by djldb6, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I am deciding whether or not to send my gun to Briley for a fitted tube set vs drop in companion tubes and a question arose which I am sure has and can be answered here.

I need to ship the gun UPS. UPS tells me I need the license (I assume FFL) of Briley to ship to them. When Briley ships back to me, do they need to ship to an FFL from whom I will then need to pick the gun up, or can they ship directly to me? I am not an FFL and I live in Illinois.

I am sure tons of people on this site have shipped to and from Briley, what is the usual procedure?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Have you talked to Briley? Heard they are really busy with goverment contracts and wait time is extreme at this time? Also I have always just shipped right to them and they shipped back. I am in Michigan. Bill

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it would be any different than shipping to a gunsmith. I just shipped the gun and he shipped it back just as Bill above said. Also, do you need to send the whole gun or just the barrel? I would send the least amount possible.

4. MOP

MOP Active Member

You do not need a FFl to ship to them or for them to do work and return ship directly to you.

5. djldb6

djldb6 Member

They say they are at 6 weeks turnaround which is another factor.

All the shipping questions didn't arise until I talked to an agent at at UPS store who said the stores won't ship firearms, I needed to go to a central UPS outlet. Hearing that i called the central UPS outlet and they told me about the need for FFL stuff. I had just thought that was for transferring ownership, not repair work...which was why I posted my question here. I will call Briley tomorrow but was interested to know what others have done.

Thanks,
    Dan

6. djldb6

djldb6 Member

They need the whole gun to lighten the trigger for the 410 tubes otherwise I wouldn't have even asked.

If the prevailing sentiment is just ship it, I will wrap it up in bubble wrap inside it's case, pad and box the case in a bigger box and just ship the thing.

Dan

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd use USPS and insure it for the full replacement amount. I would also pay for the delivery confirmation and send it Priority Mail. It's what i do and have had no problems and no headaches. Unless Briley requires UPS.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

NO FFL needed.

You cannot ship via a UPS Store, it must be from the main UPS facility in your area.

Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof,

AND between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

NO FFL needed.

Print this out, if still a problem ask to see a supervisor...

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearm&WT.svl=SRCH

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Have shipped from an UPS facility several times. On one occassion I did have to get a supervisor invovled because the employee at the counter thought they could not ship long guns. No FFL needed. The last time I shipped the complete gun it was in a hard case and the case was placed in a box. Peace of mind!

10. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I intend on shipping it in a hard case which will be in a box so that shouldn't be an issue.

Now all I have to do is decide if I want to wait the 6 weeks or not :)

Thanks,
    Dan

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Would be wise to check on the return of the hard case...it could get lost in handling. Ed

12. Customstox

Customstox Member

Dan, I ship a fair number of completed high dollars guns to customers and the absolute safest way to ship is by USPS Registered mail. It costs a bit more initially but then insurance is cheaper so in the long run for a gun over $1500 is cheaper to send by this method. Anyone that handles the gun has to sign off on it and it is kept in a safe if it is not in transit. The process does require you to use no plastic tape and instead do all the taping with paper tape (glue on the back - wet it with a sponge etc.). The clerk then stamps all the taped seams so they can not be opened without detection. I generally cover it with brown paper before using the paper tape. I have a Beretta EE/LL that I am shipping back to Montana this week and it is being shipped the same way. I would hate to lose a customers gun, even if he gets back market value.

I have heard of too many instances with the other carriers where guns were damaged or missing and in the worst cases the carrier would not pay the full amount of the firearm. USPS Registered always gets there. I just sent a barrel to Briley this week for a set of tubes and also asked them to ship it back the same way.

BTW, as stated you do not need to get an FFL involved.

13. dshot

dshot Member

Use the Post Office it's quicker and cheaper. The only time a gun has to go thru a dealer is when it changes ownership. What you are talking about is a UPS rule, not a Fed. rule, UPS has forgotten what they were built on.

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

whenever I have had to ship a firearm from a UPS hub, they always ask me to open up the case and look to see if it's unloaded (per their "regulations"). Their "inspection" is just a quick look, like 1 second, to see what's inside, never having to lift the receiver or barrel out for them to check the chamber/barrel for live ammo LOL Just FYI...you might not want to tape up the box before going to the UPS hub.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've had success with USPS, but there are a lot of USPS employees irate and incensed over cut-backs. Do you want them handling your guns? Now might not be a good time to ship USPS. Christmas rush is another factor with USPS and UPS.

16. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

I ship guns all the time UPS insured high value there is no asking what it is at all I box it make out the label print the high value sheet for the driver to sign and take on copy with her and that's it! No place on the shipping website does it ask what it is. As long as it's legal and not hazardous then its not of their concern what it is.
    I usually read into this as the individual has provided too much information rather than taking the firearm boxing it up and just shipping the darn thing.

UPS's policy in Illinois is no different than any other state as far as I know.

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is maximum insurance available, by any shipper??

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

with UPS, if you declare the value of the item shipped over a certain amount (last time I shipped a gun it was a $500 insurance threshold), you are REQUIRED to disclose to UPS what the package contains. On the few guns I have shipped via UPS, all in excess of $500, as well as other merchandise exceeding in value of $500, they needed to know what the exact item was and they wanted to inspect the item before it was sealed to see if it is packaged correctly (not some lame job where it will be damaged for sure). With firearms, they told me the package gets locked in a secure cage when not in transit, sort of like what USPS does with Registered Mail. It also gets handled by the driver himself, not the guy loading up the trucks.

Saying the package contains "machine parts" or some other cute wording is a risk I would not take. If you don't want to disclose the contents, either don't declare an insurance value over the $500 threshold or take it to USPS.

19. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Excellent advice from all, thanks.

Dan

20. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

If Briley is too busy to give you the turn around you want give Kolar a call and see what they will do for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.