1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you ship/send ammo ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Question,......I have 6 boxes of revolver ammo to send to buyer, what is legal method of sending ammo, FedEx ?? Does outside of box require special label(s) ?? Thanks, Rob

2. pheasantsgalore

Spoke to FedEx on phone, "she" said I have to be licensed dealer to ship any ammo. Cannot be shipped by private individual. Anyone out there know how to ship ammo other than thru a dealer and paying their "fees".

3. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Unless things have changed since I last woke up, UPS ships ammo, nut normally not firearms. USPS ships firearms but not ammo. Components are a different animal, and a HAZMAT and/or signature is usually involved.

Ammo needs to be in a well supported box, and marked clearly on several sides with the decal ORMD. I think you can find sites on the innerweb to print one out. Do not try to ship ammo from a UPS store, they are anal, and only a private outlet and convenience for UPS. Go straight to UPS or call for curbside pick-up.

HTH,

Cary

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Read this thread ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Go to a UPS Hub, not a UPS store (like kinkos). Put a ORM-D sticker on the box, and you are good to go.

Wayne

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

wayneo is correct, go to a UPS hub, they will ship ammo. You can write ORM-D and outline yourself for shipping. FedEx is wrong. Can't go USPS. Shipping components is a PITA. My brother just got his ffl and got set up to ship HAZMAT. He has some hair left.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Print this out and stick on the box.
    ahab_2008_0303163.jpg

7. nglitz

nglitz Active Member

Kinkos are FedEx, not UPS. Both UPS and FedEx will ship ammo from a real hub or base, not kiosks or "stores". People behind the counter tend to say whatever they feel is right without bothering to look it up. Check either UPS' or FedEx's website. Look for the "tarrifs" which are the rules they use. Search for small arms ammunition and you'll get the word right from the horse's mouth.

Norm

PS ORM-D is correct. "Other Regulated Material, class D".
    PPS In a prevous life I was a FedEx courier. Once they discovered I knew where the on switch was on a computer, I got all kinds of extra ways to spend time there. Worked at a "World Service Center" and shipped all kinds of stuff to all kinds of places.

8. pheasantsgalore

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

9. oz

oz Active Member

shipping brass & bullets is no problem. powder & primers is a hazmat deal.

10. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

I ship all the time from my local hardware store - ORM-D small arms sticker via FedEx GROUND with adult signature required. Never had a problem in 20 years.

Eric

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You can ship ammo Fedex or UPS. It must go ground, its not allowed to go air (something to do with DOT or FAA regs I believe).

DO NOT use an ORM-D label. Use the label above.

The new label can be used in place of the ORM-D label, and in fact will become the standard label in 2020 (the ORM-D label is being phased out).

The ORM-D label SCREAMS "I'm ammo, steal me". Numerous reports of ammo disappearing from Fedex and UPS, and the dock workers know exactly what packages to take. The label above is a little more innocuous (esp since it doesn't say "Cartridges, Small Arms" right on it), as it covers everything from shaving cream to household cleaners to ammo.

Also, be sure to insure it for replacement value, and put a signature confirmation on it. Contrary to popular belief, I can find nothing in the Fedex regs that say you HAVE to put an adult signature requirement on the package, so I opt for Direct Signature (some end result, and a couple bucks cheaper). When you drop off @ Fedex, get a receipt. Most of the time not necessary, but it makes me a little nervous when I drop off packages because they sit in a quasi-attended lobby for up to 4 hours, and if no one is around, someone could walk off with one, but at least if you can prove it was in Fedex's hands, and their responsibility, they're on the hook for it.

I've shipped close to 2 dozen boxes of ammo in the past couple months (and plenty before that), and have yet to have an issue shipping this way.

12. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

I use the adult signature, just so it can never come back at me that I sent ammo to a teen gangbanger. Since I sell on gunbroker, you never know what can happen. And I always use the small arms sticker and full insurance. Knock wood, nothing lost or stolen yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.