1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you set POI for 27 yard trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

This is 13 yards. And the majority of my "hits" are 5+ inches above the crosshatch. I shoot a MX3 with near 2 bead space between the beads. From 26 and 27. I do shoot standing as I think that give me a more accurate assessment of where I shoot a given gun or gun adjustment. I use this method at leas 20 times a year as I test guns. If I begin wiht a similar pellet strike as my "control gun", the adaptation to a new gun is much quicker. The prob with jsu tgoing to station 3 and banging away is tha tyou adapt to whatever POI is in that gun. And then you mess with your mind. I have another pic. I'll get that up when I find it.

Jack

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I disagree with NSXER. Stacking the beads will not give you the result you want. Sight down the gun as you would if you were shooting at a target. In real life most guys don't have the "beads stacked" when they pull the trigger.

Rick ~~~~Texas

3. JACK

Ok. Here are two exapmples of 70/30 guns. The bottom row is my gun but it is shooting way low for me for hcp. The top rows are my SIL shooting his TM1 to establish in his mind where he shoots as a "control gun? He shoots this TM1

[​IMG]

Here is the board up close.

[​IMG]

Wear your glasses. Cardboard will work, but this is quicker (sans cardboard)

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

First, you have to shoot a good score, and then, put it "on the board" to see where you are (do it on the bench). Then you have documentation of your POI.
    Consistancy is the common shooter's problem. First you have to be consistant, then, you document your POI. For some there is no change from 16 yard. For some it is +/- 1/16" up or down. YOU have to determine that. Good luck.

5. Setterman

BTW.. Ask for ATA #'s and averages or your wasting your time.

6. JACK

Setterman has a point. But I know a lot of guys with talent that cannot describe it so that another may learn

I had the best trainer/coach in Jack Gracey and he made me a hero in 87-88-89. Crossfire did me in, but I am over coming that and back to shooting at those levels again.

87-01936

Bring on warm weatehr. I am rarin to go.

7. Setterman

ata boy Jack, few have the gonads. #9102725

8. JACK

John. If I get to Cardinal this summer save me a spot on a hcp round will ya? I think I would prefer going to Cardinal than Wisconsin. Too old to do the same thing every year.

9. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

I don't know if this was covered, but how do you tell what your poi was. This would be from the 13 yards from a rest. I need to pattern my gun and was wondering how many inches above your aim point would correspond to what poi.

I hope this makes sense

Thanks

Travis

10. racer

racer TS Member

Broken Target- are you looking to document where your gun and you are shooting now or picking a number you think your gun should be set to? Knowing where the poi is on paper is useless if you are not smoking targets at whatever it is set at now. Shooting a couple shots at a POI board is good if you are sending the stock in for some work and want to get the gun set up the way it was prior to being worked on. Know what I mean? Have fun, Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

27 yard trap gun set up

poi for 27 yard

poi for 27 yard shooter

poi for 27 yard trapshooting