1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you see your rib?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Hello,
    I shoot MX8 with adjustable stock. Even if I move down that wooden piece I see .5 inch gape between two beads. Shot on board and this showed me 90/10.
    What do you think pros?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The space between the beads is not relevant. Ignore it and get the comb to the height that breaks targets.

Pat Ireland

3. ansvel

ansvel Member

Ignore it and get the comb to the height that breaks targets.
    ////
    Can you explane, plz?

4. chuckles

chuckles Member

A non-technical explanation...

Shoot a few clays the way you presently have it set up and pay attention to the breaks, top, bottom or dead center.....

then if not what you consider a perfect break adjust your comb up or down until the breaks are more to your liking...

I will assume your gun to shoulder fit is the same all the time....

hope that helps a little.

regards

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I see my rib when my gun is in the gun rack. I am not trying to be smart but once your gun is mounted your rib is irrelevant.

GS

6. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ansval,

At first it may seem awkward to not "bead check", but try this: Focus your eyes in your look spot for the target, then mount your gun. Keep focusing your eyes out where the target will appear and call for the target.

If your gun fits and the comb is set for your POI, the beads serve no purpose.

7. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I used too really try and see a figure 8. About two weeks ago I finally paid attention to Phil Kiner's setting POI. I set my gun up his way and now see quite a gap between beads. I am still working on breaking the habit of trying to line up beads. All this said I am breaking targets alot better.

David

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

midalake's got it.........What rib?

Once mounted, you should be looking for the bird.

Hauxfan!

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

midalake,

Why is your rib relevant when your gun is in the gunrack?

John C. Saubak

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not trying to be a smart-ass here but;

If the rib has no practical value then why aren't we all shooting trapguns with just a bare barrel (no rib). They DO make such guns after all, they're generally referred to as "Farmer shotguns", used to harrass foxes caught in the henhouse. You seldom see one of 'em on the traprange and when you do it's usually a beginner. So.........why don't the Big Dogs all use Farmer Shotguns?

John C. Saubak

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I'm with midalake, I'm the only one at my club that shoots a Browning Broadway with a rib wide enough to land a plane on. Easy enough to spot it in the rack.

Eric

12. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

You guys have lost me here. I always stack my beads and adjust my comb so I can. When I pull the trigger I see my Hi Viz front bead and the target. I even talked with long time friend Larry Pelcher about this. Larry said the bead is a point of reference, if you are shooting instictive why have a bead and/or a rib at all.

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well there old cowboy, I find out that I pay attention to my rib at the gun rack so I do not dammage it as I set the gun down. As far as the smooth bore comment....I hope your fishing, but if your not all I can see is heat waves......

GS

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Old Cowboy the vent rib barrel serves a very useful purpose. It helps dissipate heat more importantly heat waves so your pretty little eyes can find and see the target.

ansvel I don't know how many eyes you are using I use two. If I am looking at the target I can't focus the rib it is secondary. Seen with my peripheral vision. at that point I can't recognize the space between beads. As a matter of fact I can't at that point recognize the beads there for in my opinion the rib is nonexistent. Only the end of the gun becomes visible and then only as a shadow. When the shadow meets the target I pull the trigger. It works for me.

Bob Lawless

15. oilburner

oilburner TS Member

I recently took a 2 day clinic from one of the gurus. Part of his pre-shot routine was to check the bead alignment before each shot. This does nothing but cause me to bead check before pulling the trigger and miss birds. I have gone back to mounting the gun and looking out into the field where I will see the target clearly, and then aggressively going to the bird. Many more broken targets doing this. I think this is because there is less to get confused with, that is the bead is not the last thing I saw before looking out into the field, and my eyes did not have to adjust from a near focus on the gun to a distant focus in the field. Checking bead alignment just screws me up.

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Midalake has it. I don't even know what my rib looks like anymore. The short course is that you want your gun set up so that it ink balls targets. That's Phil's criteria. You want to achieve this, assuming you've patterned the gun and it doesn't shoot right or left, by raising or lowering the comb. This raises and lowers the rear sight which is your eyes.

You do this by setting the trap on straights, stand on post 3, forget about the rib and adjust the comb up or down until you're happy with the results. Once you've achieved consistent ink balls then you might want to notice how much rib you see or the relationship of the front to middle bead only SO YOU CAN CONSISTENTLY MOUNT THE GUN THE SAME WAY EVERY TIME. I shouted because it's that important.

I could go on and on but that's a start.

Jerry

17. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

MRKSLC,

In Phil's tape he says: To lock trap down to straightaways from station 3

Have someone stand behind you and grade your hits
    high,low,left or right.
    Add or take spacers out until you are really smoking
    them.

Then shoot from station 2 and 4 then 1 and 5. Still
    shooting straightaways from station 3.

Then shoot oscilating targets.

This method realy helped me. Phils tape is well worth the money IMHO.

David

18. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well wouldnt it be easier to adjust the rib on say a Perazzi MX15 till your smoking them and still stacking the beads. If not, why all this 60/40, 80/20, 90/10 stuff?

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The first time I looked at the beads or for the beads I started shooting poorly. Look for and break the target

20. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Sarge you have to adjust the comb in order to change the POI. At least in height.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.