1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you secure your gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by darincraft, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darincraft

darincraft Member

With the thefts going on lately it has made me think of security at the range. Granted I don't shoot a multi thousand dollar gun, but I don't want them stolen just the same.

I was thinking of taking one of my cable locks that came with one of my pistols and using it to lock it to the gun rack at the range. Do any of you have a practice that you do to ensure your gun is there when you need it?

Darin

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No practice insures anything, but my guns stay stay in the car at clubs...I take them there, I put them back there when I'm done and they stay with me between rounds.

MK

3. pdq

pdq Member

While I take all the necessary and resonable steps to protect my guns from loss, the ultimate protection is having insurance. I have each of my guns listed on my homeowners policy under a seperate rider, on a stated value basis.

If one gets damaged during shipping (just happened with my Silver Seitz where UPS broke the stock and a new stock is being made) or stolen, the insurance coverage pays to effect repair or replacement. In the case of my stock, Phil Simms is making me a new stock, same as before. If the gun had been stolen, I would have been ordering a replacement from Silver Seitz.

Again, first line of defense is to be smart in protecting your guns, but when all else fails, having the insurance there is a good thing.

Pete

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Darin--I have to agree with Aprice a little here. I keep my gun in the rack while shooting and waiting to shoot. That is a rack within view though. My club has 120 fields over 3.5 miles so its easy to not have all gun racks within view. {:0) If i'm not shooting, my gun is locked in the truck. Shouldn't need a lock at the club while your shooting. Now when you have an absent minded 17 yr old like i do, a homing device wouldn't be a bad idea. Had my boys gun handed to me by friends when the boy walked off and left it in the rack. Teenagers.

5. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I put in back in the case after I am done shooting and lock it in the car. At home it is kept in the safe and the house is alarmed, plus I have a short barreled 20 guage loaded with # 4 shot. Hope this helps. Woody

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

keep your hands on it at the club, when your done shooting put it back in the trunk. Have a secured locking case in the trunk,at home, alarms, a gun safe, a watch dog, an AR15 with 500 rds of ammo help to provide the sense of security I desire, there is more but not going to reveal it all. ;o)

7. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

On the rack is fine if I'm nearby, but mine goes back in the trunk between events.RM

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Cost me $50 a year to list my CG on the homeowners rider.

9. missed some

missed some TS Member

insurance

10. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Mr.Grntitan you are so blessed to live in the same town as the World Shooting Complex.

DODGEMAN

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DODGEMAN--I agree 100%. I embelish that fact maybe a little too often but easy come easy go. I think my lucky stars every year it remains open and most definately every year the Grand is here. I know why folks of Ohio and that area are upset. I would be sick if it left here. Just wish the discontent wasn't aimed at the wrong people. Too many people who refuse to come and visit us Southern Illinois folks and shoot the Grand over the decision. We are not the enemy. Wish everybody could come every year. I really do. ---Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.