1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Repair Molded Ear Plugs?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smithy47, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I purchased a set of ear plugs at the MTA several years ago. They are the injected molded kind. They have worked very well. One of them has developed a crack or split in it almost half way through. I tried glueing it back together with super glue. That did not work. Any suggestions of what to use to fix it?
    Thanks in advance. Bob

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Fix it with new ones. I'm on my 3rd set. They don't last forever. I figure the $50/pair I spent over several years of heavy use combined with the comfort of custom fitting plugs is actually a bargain.

3. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

You don't, show them to whoever made them and I'm sure they will replace them with no charge.

4. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Thank you for the replys so far. At $50 a pop I thought I could glue these back and get another couple of years out of them. It is not seperated but split alomost in half. I just need to right kind of glue.
    Regards, Bob

5. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Silicone can be glued with a silicone RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) cement most other glues will not adhere to the base silicone. I always replace my custom plugs every other year. Silicone will shrink over time.

6. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Sounds like a job for a hot glue gun.I think that would work fine.

7. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

STOP NOW !! INSTA-MOLD ERA PLUGS ARE GOOD FOR 3 YEARS AT BEST IF THY ARE MADE RIGHT THE HUMAN BODY KEEPS CHANGING YOUR NOSE AND EARS CHANGE ABOUT EVERY 3 YEARS JUST GET NEW ONES MADE DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES STICKING INDUSTRIAL GLUES OR REPAIR SILICONE IN YOU EAR'S IF YOU ARE IN THE NORTH EAST I CAN MAKE YOU A NEW PAIR IF NOT CALL E.A.R. IN BOLDER CO. THY WILL GIVE SOME ONE NEAR YOU.1-800-525-2690 PS E.A.R. IS THE LEADER IN THIS INDUSTRY 40+YEARS AT THIS

8. grntitan

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

CAUSE HIS EAR PLUGS HAVEN'T FIT FOR 2 YEARS!!!!

10. grntitan

11. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If your ears change every 3 years how can you find out when your cycle of change is. This would be helpful so that you can get new plugs right after the change instead of in the middle of the cycle. After all if you got new plugs in the middle of the cycle your ears would change and you would half of a cycle where you would have sub standard protection. Just askiing . Something to consider. Lol

Go to Ear Gems if you are in the Midwest or have the opportunity to be at a shoot where Nancy is set up. She does it right and you get free clear coats for the life of your plugs if she did them so that you get the best protection from your plugs. Because your ear canals never stop changing. Especially during your youth years. Plus she is my retirement account. Terry

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Talk about "Cheap", your hearing is priceless, invest in some new ones or maybe you can just replace the one thats worn out ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Give this a try, take a cotton swab and dip it Alcahol and clean the area in the crack vey good to get bodyoils out, blow dry with a hair dryer, now take some clear silicone and sqeeze it into the crack, hold it together with the left hand and take another Q-tip and wipe off the excess Silicone, you may need several Q-tips, it must be held together until the silicone sets up.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Look, there's no lifetime warranty on this sort of stuff, nor should there be. Time to open up that wallet and let the moths out.

15. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Smithy47,

My name is Jerry Bryant. I travel to major shoots all over the Midwest making custom molded ear plugs.

Many of the suggestions made above are done so with good intent, but will not be a long term fix for your problem.

You mentioned that you got them in MO. I will be at the Missouri State Shoot. If you stop by to see me I will see if there is anything I can do to help you out. If not there ... I will also be in IL, OH, MI, IN, MO, MN, as well as the U.S. Open, SCTP at Sparta, and the Grand.

Some fun is being had above at the time interval to replace plugs. No one can say for sure just how long a set will fit. Recommended time frame is every 3-5 years. Reason for that is the nose and ears never stop growing.

Like Terry mentioned above, any good ear plug maker will recoat the plugs they make as needed to keep the fit as snug possible. IF I can be of any help, please contact me.

Jerry Bryant
    Silent Treatment Hearing Protection and Enhancement
    941-380-2111

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Who says the Lord does not have a sense of humor? The only appendages to continue to grow are our nose and ears. Then our hair falls out but keeps growing in our ears and nose! LOL Jeff

17. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Insta-Mold

Buy new ones.

Its your ear drums not a cracked nail you are gluing so pony up 50 bucks and get a new set.

I bet you aren't that strapped for cash!!

Shooting reclaimed is one thing, gluing your ear plugs is ridiculous

C'mon!!!!

18. wm rike

wm rike Member

Replace them. Maybe you can repiar them, but repairs are never as good as new and the thought of the tab breaking off in the ear is not a pleasant one.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

bigbore613, I loved your post and you are so right!! Only two parts, bummer!! :)

Hap

20. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

See Jerry Bryant for excellent product and service..If you can't be at the Mo.state shoot, Jerry will be at the Mi. team shoot at the end of the month....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crazy glue on molded ear plugs

injected molded ear plugs any good

super glue on molder ear plugs