1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you remove wood from Ithaca 4E Knick?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Please tell me how to disassemble the Ithaca Knick enough to refinish the wood.

I want to separate the wood from the metal.
    Wood was refinished at least once, and not so well, by a long ago former owner.
    I propose to strip with Acetone/Toluene/Methanol using a rag and a tooth brush for the checkering. Then to refinish with many coats of Tru-Oil thinned with mineral spirits with light 0000 steel wool buffing between coats.

For the buttstock-is it enough to unscrew the two screws in the bottom tang behind the trigger guard? Or do i only unscrew the rearmost bottom screw?
    Is this a simple job for a duffer with the correct screwdriver?

For the forearm-After taking it off the barrel I have no idea what to do, or if I should even try.

2. 333t

333t Member

You will need to remove the trigger guard by removing the two tang screws and carefully unscrewing the front of the guard. This will expose another screw/bolt that goes through the rear of the top tang. Then there is a wood screw under the operating lever that needs to come out.

Finally there are three large screws on the bottom of the receiver that must come out. These are easily damaged and may be tight. They should be marked as to which hole they came out of as they are not interchangeable, with heads that match the contours of the receiver surface. Removing these three screws loosens the bottom plate of the receiver. Be careful when you remove this as a spring and a small L shaped rod will probably fall out. Then the stock should come right off. There is no stock bolt under the recoil pad.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.