1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you prepare mentally

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by instruction, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instruction

instruction TS Member

How do you prepare mentally to take your first shot?
    What things do you do to stay in the present for 100 targets?

Merry Christmas
    Jim Close

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

"Keep your eyes on the bird." Head down. That's all.

3. BMC

BMC Member

I don't prepare for the first shot as I have usually shot a round or two to warm up before heading into a registered run. For me to keep my head in the game for four rounds means I have to totally block out the world. That is the hard part given the time and the breaks in between the rounds.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

BMC is right! Its similiar to putting yourself into a trance! Block out everything around you and just concentrate on what YOU are doing and how YOU want to do it. Stay relaxed and cool. Don't let ANYTHING distract you from the task at hand. Sometimes it helps to adopt a mental state whereby you prevent tenseness from building up....sorta like"I really don't care if I hit the bloody thing or not". Of course, you DO care, but you have to fool yourself into thinking otherwise! There's an excellent book on this subject called "Mental Training for the Shotgun Sports" by Micheal Keyes,MD. gOOD LUCK!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't think I prepare mentally well for my first few birds, especially if I begin on post one. This coming year, I think I might shoot a practice round when I am the lead off shooter. Or, I might just have to remember to get into the game with my head by watching the squad in front of me. I hate it when I look at the scorer and ask him "are you ready" and he nods his head. Then I look down the line and ask the squad if they are ready and they nod their heads. I mount my gun, call pull and miss the bird. I forgot to ask myself if I am ready.

I remember a handicap shoot off on a preliminary event many years ago at the Grand. I was lead off and I asked the squad "y'all ready" and the other two shooters nodded. All three of us missed the first bird. When it was my turn again, I looked at the squad a second time and again said "y'all ready" a second time. They looked at me and smiled. We all broke the next 24 birds and had a nice shoot off.

Pat Ireland

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Pat.......I like to start on station One simply because I don't want to have to do any walking[or thinking about anything] while shooting! With me, its part of the "reduce all unecessary movement" thing! If a shooter has a mental block[so to speak] with station one, then he should start on Three[in my opinion]. I don't like pullers either, if I can avoid them. I want to be in total control of WHEN I get the target thrown. I know that's not always possible.

7. microbrew44

microbrew44 TS Member

Go out with one purpose in mind: To have fun!
    You'll shoot better.

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Jim. FWIW, I have an empty shell case in my pocket, and once I'm on the line, but before coming under 'ref's orders' I take my stance, drop the MT in,close and mount the gun then swing the gun to an imaginary target and 'snap' on the MT, then eject it. If nothing else, the sound of the hammer hitting lets me know that the guns mechanism is OK, and that no-one has put on my safety catch, and the ejected case lets me know that the correct barrel is selected and that the ejector itself is OK. 'Going through the motions' seems to help me get my focus out beyond the traphouse. Best wishes-Graham.

9. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

i drink a bottle of whiskey.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

I usually think of how difficult skeet shooting is and how easy trap is in comparison.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why do you want to be in the present. It's much better in the past. HMB

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Lumper.....I can't believe you said that. And you're my hero to!

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

But I think the exact opposite when I'm shooting skeet.

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I try to usa a mantra between shots, not stations. On really good days I start the mantra while watching the final few targets of the previous squad.

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

One final thought....."You got to be prepared mentally before you can prepare mentally"! That eliminates about 95% of us to begin with!

16. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I like starting at station 1. Not sure why but I get to watch the other shooters after I have preformed my duty on the bird I call for. It's been several years since I have shot any registered targets, are we still allowed to call for the first bird from station 1, "like lets take a look at one", since we are shooting to electromic calling? Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know some also prepare the exact same way a winning race horse prepares ... always be careful of that shooter coming out of the crapper and heading straight to the line.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

PATIAMSORRYTOHEAROFTHEHOTWEATHERBEINGROUGHONYOUBUTIBETITAINTASROUGHONYOUASREADINGALLCAPITOLLETTERSISTOSOMEPEOPLE.

And yes ... skeet.

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have just got into say to myself as I raise the gun to shoot, to Lock,Look,& Lead. After a Box or so I can forget the lead part. If I just remember the other two it keeps me ready, head in the gun and makes me remember to look at target only. It is real easy to just go thru the motions and forget one of these things.You might be thinking about whatever before you call pull, and Miss.If I just remember to Lock and Look on EVERY Shot it seems to work for me. At least it helps. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You are supposed to prepare to break the bird?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.