1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Pratice For ATA Shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jsa3107, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have to assume it takes proper pratice to get ready for ATA registered shoots
    What do you do during your pratice or how do you pratice
    Thanks for the info...

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

I try to put my self into the same frame of mind as when I'm shooting for score. I try and work on any weaknesses I had during the last registered shoot. I also like to practice on windy and rainy days as well. I also practice with an extra full choke.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

By shooting alot of competition (ATA ).

Curt

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Whether practice or registered, I always try to focus on beating the squadmates. More truthfully; work on swinging and focusing on the bird at the skeet field......Bob Dodd

5. shark1

shark1 Member

Curt,
    You have personal trainer. What gives?
    Michael Sharkey, DC

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Concentrating and focusing on the bird, and a tight choke.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There are two primary physical aspects to shooting trap.

1. Target path recognition. You have to train your brain to recognize what path/presentation is the target taking. This is far more important than actually "seeing the target" until you shoot. This is why we can hit targets when cloud shadows pass by and you really can't see the targets very well.

2. Muscle memory. This is when you have trained your body to get your gun into the proper position to hit the target once you have recognized its path.

How you work on these two things is repetition. You need to appraoch this like batting practice, hitting balls on a driving range, bowling or shooting free throws. However going out and "shooting a couple of rounds" is not a very efficient.

Try this drill. Lock the trap on hard lefts. Start on 1 and shoot 5 shoots from each post. Any problem shots, go back to that post and shoot them until you can hit them. Then lock the trap half way between left and middle and shoot 5 shots on each post. Any problem shots, go back to that post and shoot them until you can hit them. Same for straights out of the house, right quarter angles and hard rights.

Finish up with a round on oscillation. Do this drill once a week for 3 months and, if you have average talent, you will be shooting in A class. Then, learn to shoot one target at a time with a compact setup routine and you will shoot in AA class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.