1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you pour your melted lead into ingots?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have been using a lable to make ingots but has anyone ever put a short piece of pipe with a valve? Could it be done by drilling and tapping the cast iron pot and then just opening the valve? It would be much easier then dipping.

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

VERY CAREFULLY!!!!

What kind of "valve" would you be using? It would be rather difficult to get something that would work with the higher temperatures. Something like the bottom pour system of the old Lyman melting pots would probably work, but it would require a bit of fabrication. I used a large Plumbers Pot and a Large Ladle and poured the pot when it was near empty. Wear protective gear, since one drop of sweat can cause serious harm.

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Bawana .... Installing a valve on a lead pot is more trouble that it's worth, not saying that it can not be done but I use a gas turkey cooker base with a deep castiron wide mouth pot to melt the lead and a quart steel sauce pan to dip and pour my ingots .... I always was the last "S" in the "KISS" equation but it works for me and please do remember to use appropriate PPE.

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I'm going to try a 1/2 pipe with a gate valve. The ball valve has a plastice sleeve in it that I know would melt. I might be able to work a system out to work some heat from the turkey cooker. Thanks for the info. I will also let you know things work.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Go to seach on this web site, search sign on name scott k, check out his videos very help full, Ill try to bring it up.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I melt the lead outside and in the open. I do my best to stand down wind but you know how that changes. I wear the eye protection but I willbe getting a full face shield before the next melting. Long sleeve shirt and heavy boots and gloves.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

another, worth going through

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I use a cast iron pot with a 3/8ths inch steel tube brazed in place. The tube is a pour spout and it extends down to near the bottom of the pot. That way I don't pour any of the dirty lead from the top into my ingots. I can do about 40 lbs at a time wit this pot.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Thats better then any valve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.