1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you photograph guns?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Voolfie, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I've got a nice pigeon gun for sale on here and I have tried everything I can think of, but the gun just shows up too dark in my photos. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to take good pics of guns? Thanks.

J.F. Wolfington

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Try taking it in natural light (outside in daylight). First try "AUTO" and then try scrolling thru the camera's "SETTINGS" until you find one that works. It basically experimentation. Flash often causes problems with guns but, again, experimentation can sometimes even overcome that. Many cameras also have a "CLOSE-UP" setting which works well. With some, you hold the button down half way until it focuses and adjusts to the available light -- then click without moving it.

-Gary

3. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I take pics on a turkish bath towel-no reflection I take outside in sun using flash-nickle guns, polished stainless come out almost perfect in auto mode. Lee

4. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

I finally learned to use a darker back-drop, in natural light. Read somewhere that a white sheet background "fools" the auto focus on cameras and we get those lousy dark pictures. Just my 2 cents worth, Roger

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Natural night source, non-reflective dark back ground are the easiest way to show the object.

stevew_2008_030368.jpg

It's difficult to avoid reflections without professional diffuser, you can adjust the object to minimize reflections on non-important spots.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

What kind of camera are you using...???

Point & Shoot always use a dark background, Auto focus, good balanced lighting...

+1 what Steve says...

chuckles_2008_0303.jpg

chuckles_2008_03031.jpg

Here is my Backdrop, a piece of black (felt like) material $12.00...I always use a Tripod for stability and I shoot using the timer to eliminate jiggle...also always use Photoshop for croping and minor detailing....
    Hope the info helps you take better pictures...

chuckles_2008_03032.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.