1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

how do you overcome pressure of a good score

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bowhunting11, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Lately ive been droping a rock consistently on the last station of my round. I feel im doing this to get rid of the pressure. I also have noticed me droping a rock in the first station and running the rest cause the pressure of breaking that 25, 50, 75, 100 is all off and I can just shoot and not worry...

Any suggestions?
  2. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

I am certainly not a trap guru, but I do compete in another sport at the world level. The whole key to performing under pressure is to practice, practice, practice. The repetition builds muscle memory and mental imagery. You have to train to succeed. Most people just shoot a couple rounds and call it practice. Read the article about Kim Rhode and it will give you a roadmap to becoming a champion. Dedication and money are two key ingredients.
  3. Brady509

Brady509 Member

Well it seems that no matter what you do it will forever be like that. After all you are shooting against your self. It all confidence and when the time comes to run'em it will be as natural as breathing. Hell I went 99 straight and stepped on it about a month ago. What do ya do? Couple.shots of your finest beverage of choice and a swift.kick to the bean bag. But one thing is for sure once you figure out how to totally beat it let me know.

Brady
  4. schockstrap

schockstrap Member

Read Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind"... He explains this scenario pretty well. One way to overcome the thought pattern is to rehearse the situation in your mind. Imagine yourself shooting well, headed to that last station -- instead of thinking "I always drop one at the end", tell yourself something like "this station is just like the others, one target at a time". Or come up with a phrase that will refocus you... my favorite is "I've been to this rodeo before! I shoot one target at a time!", but find whatever statement snaps your mind to attention.

Pressue is a good thing in competition. You don't want to get rid of it, you want to thrive on it. A good start is something you should look forward to and expect. Finishing well also has to be something that you expect.

--Dan
  5. 2500 HD

2500 HD Member

Only think " See the bird, Shoot the bird!" If it was only that easy!!! LOL
  6. porky

porky TS Member

Try not to be inpressed with your good luck in getting all the previous birds because all things can and do change in a second.
  7. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

Relax, take deep relaxing breaths, and get it out of your mind.....Yea Right. I've tried and never been able to.....
  8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's easy, just miss the first target then you can relax.

For many here, the fact that you drop more targets on the last trap than the others if difinitive proof that you a sandbagger.
  9. DOGLEG DON

DOGLEG DON Member

I agree with schosktrap ,Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind"... will get you back to the 27 yard line
  10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

If you are thinking before you call pull, you are going to hear LOOOOSST! We can not think of two things at once. Concentration is a process of the brain from one of our senses that is processesd in the same area as our thought process. Our brains can't process information from two of our senses at once. When you concentrate on what you are seeing, what do you hear? If you are concentrating on listening to something, what do you see? At the same point when you see someone staring off into space, what is it they are doing? Thinking! They hear nothing, see nothing, feel nothing, until they snap out of their thought process.

So, when you call for the bird you better be looking for, and concentrating on the target as your main focus. The process has to start at the least seconds before you call pull. If you are thinking right up to, or during the call, you are relying on luck to hit the bird.

To make a long post even longer, save the thinking for after the round. Everything should be routine during the round so that thinking is very minimal. This includes what the possibilities are after the round. The ability to prepare your mind to concentrate to the fullest, at the key moments, are what separate the pro atheletes from the amateurs in my opinion, not physical ability.

I believe that loss of the concentration of our sight process causes most flincing. When something obstructs our vision, or is a threat to the eye we blink to protect it with the eyelid. What happens when we flinch, we generally close our eyes, correct? I am sure that statement will cause even more of a ruckus.
  11. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

I believe there was a thread a week or two ago titled "clay shooting is impossible"maybe? Well its true we are pretty damn good!
  12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

learn to live in the moment. everything you have done is in the past, let it go. All you need to worry about is breaking this target. You have broken thousands of targets, just break one more. develope a routine to keep your thoughts on breaking one more, visulize the target breaking, after you break your target a little positive self talk, "that's like me!" helps to relax you. if you miss forget it you have no time to analyze and too often we over correct, thinking back at what happened only serves to bring up another negative image! go back to what was breaking your targets before the loss. Understand that becoming nervous or an increased in intensity is your mind and body working together to get you through this with the outcome you want. If you do drop one so what? tomorrow will still come and you'll get break targets tomorrow.
  13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

learn to live in the moment. everything you have done is in the past, let it go. All you need to worry about is breaking this target. You have broken thousands of targets, just break one more. develope a routine to keep your thoughts on breaking one more, visulize the target breaking, after you break your target a little positive self talk, "that's like me!" helps to relax you. if you miss forget it you have no time to analyze and too often we over correct, thinking back at what happened only serves to bring up another negative image! go back to what was breaking your targets before the loss. Understand that becoming nervous or an increased in intensity is your mind and body working together to get you through this with the outcome you want. If you do drop one so what? tomorrow will still come and you'll get to break targets tomorrow.
  14. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

plan on breaking all 100 targets tonight!
  15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

2 beers works for me
  16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Bowhunting11, Your talking about working the mental part of the game. This is the hardest part for some. Focus only on each target, and I like to think to myself as I get close to the end of the round that there are lots of targets to go and try not to think of the last 5 or a set # of any kind. You will have to find what works for you!!! The only way to do that is to keep shooting. Each step you climb to becoming a better shooter is a lesson learned. You have learn to deal with pressure from other shooters, and yourself the most. You have to learn not to let other shooters Psyche you out in shoot-offs. You have to tell yourself you can do it, and not tell yourself I hope I can do it. A positive attitude has to be learned and self taught though multible learned lessons. Keep working at it and you'll be fine. Don't forget to have as much fun as you can along the way. After all its the fun that keeps bring me back. Because once the fun runs out, it becomes work. That's a whole different topic. LOL. break em all Jeff
  17. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Overcoming pressure in competition is very difficult. Anyone who states it is easy to do or easily learned is not being truthful. Golf is a great example of this...look how many choke on the last hole or last putt...and I am talking about pros.

There does seem to be a commmon denominator among those who consistently break high scores and finish well:

They shoot a lot.

And they compete a lot.

A whole lot.

bluedsteel
  18. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Someone had asked about shooting glasses and since I wear Decot I found the website and posted a link for this thread. But while perusing the site I found some very good short articles on the mental game to shotgunning. I thought this would be a good place to post them.

The credit for these articles go to Bud Decot:

<a href="http://www.sportglasses.com/content/Get_Out.htm" target="_blank">Get Out of Your Way</a>

<a href="http://www.sportglasses.com/content/Articles.htm" target="_blank">Mental Vision</a>
  19. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Active Member

I was at 124 when I let it get to me, that is one of the two 25th birds I have missed, they sting a little, but on both I lost focus starting counting them, and went through the motions of the shot.

So is having only two,luck, good attitude, proper mind set or something else, I do not know.

But every other time that I got to 24X24 or 99X99 I made sure I was doing the same thing breaking bird one of one, clear focus on seeing the bird and only focussed on seeing this one bird.

Al
  20. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Leo has a video that cover managing stress going into your last trap. Breaking the time up into smaller easier to manage segments. I hope you encounter this problem often :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.