1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you measure shot roundness?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I'm thinking of making my own shot and wonder how to measure roundness. I saw one video where a guy talked about rolling shot down an incline then tossing out the ones that don't roll. I suppose you could count the rejects in a pound or so, tweak the shot making setup and try again. The incline would need to be the same each time you measure.

I'm particularly motivated after Chipmaker's awesome thread showing his new creation. However, for me, Chimaker's approach is way over my capability and resources. I'd be going the minimalist route and admit I'd be using (stealing; but he did it to share his ideas and accomplishments) his concept of preheating the lead before the dripper receives it. I would need a way to measure the temp of the lead in each vessel in order to follow Chip's temperature guidelines.

I wouldn't do this without a reliable way to measure my final success in shot roundness. Any help?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Why worry about it? The target won't know the difference. I made shot for a couple of years and couldn't see a difference in patterns or performance if the shot was slightly out of round.

3. 3357

3357 Member

even if you start with perfectly round shot, by the time it leaves the barrel a large percentage will have lost their "roundness"

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

It's "Sphericity," and my club uses a Zeiss CMM with a really, teeny-tiny touch sphere.

...you mean your club doesn't do it that way?

5. joe kuhn

Even in the videos I can see shot that is poor, but Chip's looks uniform. I can tell he's got them beat and maybe that's good enough.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Uniform and round are two different things. Mine is uniform and somewhat less than spherical, Yet it performs well.

Jim

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I used to examine factory shells for quality and consistency. The way I checked the shot for roundness was to roll it along a v-groove in a piece of Plexiglas. I made the groove by tilting the blade in my table saw to 45 degrees. Shot from the good shells would roll easily along the groove. It was easy to spot the miss-formed shot.

Jim Skeel

8. joe kuhn

Good range of answers from it doesn't matter (3), to sarcastic, which is a good self check because maybe just eye balling it is good enough, to the plexiglass 'v'.

Thanks. Later, Joe

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

"sphericity"...Zeiss CMM....Got it..!!
    I expect I should run that check after weighing each piece so I'm not wasting time checking sphericity on those (few) pieces of shot that fall outside my acceptable +/- weight range.
    I like the V-groove plexiglass idea too..!! (Thanks Jim). I'll start running'em down the V-channel..slowly...so I can get a better piece count when filling the shells. You all DO count the number of shot in each shell don't you...???
    '
    '
    '
    '
    Just kiddin'....Thanks for providing this opportunity to chuckle this morning.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest just looking at a sample of the shot, Joe, and inventing two mental categories. Call them Round and Not round. Select from the sample and put each pellet into one of the categories. The percentage of each you get from some bag might be interesting.

In fact, that's what I intend to do myself. Come May, I'll load up eleven shells of each and pattern them through a very good gun and, using Shotgun-Insight to get a real answer, see if there is any difference.

I think there won't be any difference at all. And all you here - what do you predict?

Neil

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Neil. I don't believe the patterns will be measurably different.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I run all my shot through a special press which makes them square. The little squares break the birds much better than the spheres. HMB

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Been shooting homemade for a couple of years. It is not round, so forget about that. Hardness may be more important. I did a Neil Winston type test using homemade vs Rem mag shot. 1 oz loads, ten shots each. Counted pellets and holes. The Rem shot was 2.5% better PE at 40yds. I don't think there is any real difference. I didn't actually try to analyze patterns, they "looked" about the same, for what that's worth.

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'll have to agree with Neil, I don't think there will be a significant difference.

Like Jerry my shot is not round, But it patterns about like any other and a lot of the factory shells too.

Jim

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Orvis sells spreader loads with shot hammered flat. The russians used to have Int'l skeet loads specially for each station, including square for station 8.
    The more spherical the pellets are, the truer they will fly.

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Joe: You get Raccoons to sort the pellets for you.

They are good at it and do a helluva job! :)

Randy

17. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I opened a new bag of Lawrence magnum shot a couple weeks ago and poured some of into a plastic container. I routinely do this to make it easier to fill shot bottles with. When I looked at it I noticed several pieces of shot with white specks on them. At first I suspected oxidation of some sort, so I picked out 4-5 pieces with small pair of needle nose pliers and put them on the bench. I was very surprised to see that every one of them was extremely out of round. Most would not even roll. It appeared that about 5% of the bag was contaminated this way. I was not happy. The propaganda from one of their suppliers website reads, “Made in the USA, Lawrence shot is highly polished, graphite coated and uniformly round to provide deep penetrating pellets.” The “uniformly round” part sure caught my eye.

Jon Reitz

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I run all my shot through a special press which makes them square. The little squares break the birds much better than the spheres. HMB

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Been shooting homemade for a couple of years. It is not round, so forget about that. Hardness may be more important. I did a Neil Winston type test using homemade vs Rem mag shot. 1 oz loads, ten shots each. Counted pellets and holes. The Rem shot was 2.5% better PE at 40yds. I don't think there is any real difference. I didn't actually try to analyze patterns, they "looked" about the same, for what that's worth.

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I'll have to agree with Neil, I don't think there will be a significant difference.

Like Jerry my shot is not round, But it patterns about like any other and a lot of the factory shells too.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.