1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you measure a shotgun bore?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    How and where do you measure a shotguns bore diameter? I have a Remington 11-87 trap and a Remington 870TC both made in 1989 That have step rib choke tube barrels but they both shoot normal Rem chokes very well making me think they are not overbored like I've heard. I also have a field 11-87 that was made in 1987 that shoots the same chokes the same as the Trap models. But I also have one of the Remington trap full chokes that shoots good in all guns so I'm confused and would like to measure the bores of all 3 guns. Thanks
  2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Two answers

in certain target Remington barrels the bore was larger but it tapered down to a normal bore before the choke area began- thats why you can use regular rem chokes

now on bore measurement- a shotgun gauge that measures about 12 inches or more into a bore is the easiest way to measure a bore--- sure you can devise other devices but a dial gauge is the best -

sometimes a gun store will have one of those if you dont want to buy one or someone at the gun club will have one

just make sure that bore is completely clean or you can gum up the gauge

regards from Iowa

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    Gene is correct on both issues. And that is why the markings on remchokes differ. The chokes are the same but in different bbls they choke more or choke less. Adn Remington marked them to the specific bore. Most guys think Rem was mismarking them, but not so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you measure the bore of a shotgun

how is guage measured with reguard to guns