1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you make shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I read a thread on here about reloading costs. Some mentioned they make shot and it reduces their costs.
    Can someone tell me how this is done, up front costs and maybe where I can buy shot making equipment and lead? Thanks Rod

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

A new machine is $400+ dollars right now. I just bought 1, 3 weeks ago. Lead at a scrap yard will cost you .50 a pound possibly more. A smelting pot(turkey fryer) $60. Propane $20 Coolant other then water depending on tank size and what you use $30- on up. Time to build the stand to hold it and devise a catch setup = Head ache. Masks to wear while messing with molten lead $30.
    Tumbler unit to graphite the shot$40 - $150. Graphite itself $3 will do a few 100 pounds. Electricity well depends on supplier.

So your looking at $583. and thats not even paying for the lead yet. You will have to run at least 400 pounds of good shot just to pay for the equipment and if you pay .50per pound for lead you will have spent roughly $278(you will lose weight because of the clips) on the wheel weights to make that much so now your up to $861 for 400 pounds of lead. Now 400 pounds of shot would cost you $560 at $35 a bag.

AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE DO IT OUTSIDE!!!!!!

I did lots of thinking before I did it and spent time to put it al together and did it on a week off I had. I have time to do it and gives me a sense of satisfaction. Saveing money will be wayyyyyyyyyyyy down the road.

Jerry Lewis

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Gosh yes I forgot the screens and what not. I didnt shoot trap years ago or I may have thought to buy 1 years ago. It is a shame our sport has to suffer due to lead.

Oh and youll be surprised at how many want you to make them some, and want you to do it for cost for them too!!!!!!!!

Jerry

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can spend a couple of hundred dollars or several thousands. Go to utube, and you will see many types of systems people have made. I may have spent about $700 to build my system. Everyone of them is set up differently.

5. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I bought a littleton shotmaker on ebay very cheap I make low volume just enough to keep up with shooting,am retired and dont value my time too high! Lead is getting higher everyweek, thats why new shot is so expensive ,masking shot is not hard ,there is a learning curve ,it took me 2 weeks to get where it was easy.Ill make my 25 lbs and be done !it takes me 1 hour to set up wash and screen 25 lbs.If you buy wheelweights sort them with a magnet b4 melting.they are 30 to 50%steel now!Keep that in mind when buying!

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I call Bill johnson at Best buy shooters supply. I have him make me a ton at a time. He drops it off in 25 pound sacks as whatever current market value is.

7. plinker611

plinker611 Member

i have $850 invested in equipment,have dropped around 5 tons of shot in 4 years,sold over half,and have made money(enough to shoot pretty close to free) on my jim stewart black max shotmaker. the key is lead supply,i work for a large automotive group,and have sloe access to 8 tire changers scrap w.w.for the last 16 yrs(i cast bullets also).and my advice is if you can get lead, make your own shot.myself and alot of other shotmakers are always willing to help,mark jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.