1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you like living in a condo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My wife inherited a home in Arizona and last year we put our house up for sale in the Milwaukee area. We could not get the price we orginally wanted so we have decided to let my daughter's family live in it.

My wife and I can no longer physically maintain a home and are thinking of purchasing a condo. Anyone out there live in a condo? How do you like it? I can no longer shovel snow or want to use a snow blower or cut grass.

My wife does not want to leave our daughter and grandkids and move to Arizona. I still need to take care of my elderly mother and she also refuses to move as her brother and sisters are still here. She lives in a condo and she likes it.

Anything bad about condo living that you can think of?
    Steve Balistreri

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think condo living is fine for a short period. We spent April of last year in one in Venice Florida. I suppose it depends on how many "toys" you have. Condo living is pretty simple. It does eliminate a lot of work. My wife would move to one in a heartbeat as long as it was near water in Florida.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. wlk

wlk Member

Great, 60 yrs old. Did it ten yrs ago. Reasons are long, but was what it was at the time. Missed Mowing the lawn, car work, fixing sink drains, snow stuff in the winter as well. But absence of those things to do, we found other things to do that we enjoy just as much. We move around a little more now and go more places. Good Luck with your choice, but you must stay as active as you can for as long as you can, it kind of doesn't matter where.
    Wayne

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Townhouse

A condo is a dwelling in a single large building like an apartment building, and most condos are that size.

Townhouse is a dewlling attached side by side with other dwellings, anywhere from 2 to 5. You can have an end unit with dwellings on either side of you, or an end unit with only one dwelling next to you.

You will pay montly dues, usually 200-400 dollars, that includes upkeep of the grounds, the maintence and upkeep of the outside. It also includes trash pickup, water and sewer and insurance for the exterior.

You buy renters insurance for the interior which is what you own and your possessions.

Since everything on the outside belongs to the association, they take care of the grounds, painting, roof replacement, maintence and and other upkeep, including concrete replacement, snow removal say after a 6 inch snowfall. You may own your deck but not the driveway. That also means, you cannot alter or redecorate the building or grounds outside, without approval of the association. No bird baths, glass globes, pink birds, etc.

And that is the beauty of it. You don't have to put up with your neighbor painting his house pink, or parking his motorhome blocking your driveway. I moved into a townhouse 30 years ago. Got tired of spending my weekends, mowing the yard and other such chores and had more time for trapshooting and other activities.

Looking to buy a second unit in a warmer climate further South and considering AZ myself. Will not have to worry about upkeep while away from one unit at another and have neighbors who will watch the place while it is empty. Gated communities are the best.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My wife and I downsized exactly two years ago from a five-bedroom, three and a half bath, three-car garage two-story home to a one-floor condo with two bedrooms, two full baths and a no-car garage. The only thing we missed at first was the garage but now it doesn't seem to matter.

Our complex is on a golf course. Neither of us play pasture pool but it makes for a beautiful and quiet environment. There are eight condos in our building, four on the first floor like ours and four on the second floor. Every unit is firewalled from the rest and we hear almost nothing from our neighbors, most of whom are our age or older. We do have a young guy behind us who told us he plays the guitar but we have never heard it.

Due to the crash of the housing market, we didn't have a ton of equity left in our home, so buying a small ranch house or condo would have meant a mortgage that, at our ages, we might not live to pay off. Accordingly, since we likely will always have a monthly housing payment, we opted for renting so we have zero home ownership worries.

Our living expenses were reduced by over two-thirds. Homeowner's insurance was $2,600 per year; renter's insurance is $178. School taxes were $2,400; now whatever they are, they are included in our rent. Same for property taxes. Our rent also includes water, trash, sewer and condo association fees and it still is 33% of what our mortgage payments alone were.

The hardest part of downsizing is disposing of a lot of the things you accumulated but truth be told, really never needed. Then there is all the excess furniture. Moving out of our house took a lot more time and was a lot harder than moving into our condo!

But we love it and are so glad we made the move. Our only regret is not doing it sooner.

Ed

6. B410

B410 TS Member

I currently live in a rented condo and it is fine. I am in the early years of my marriage and my wife and I both work long hours. We are looking at other options as soon as we start having children in the next year or so. In the meantime, the lack of responsibilities is nice, but I do miss working in the yard. I would caution you to look for a top floor or 1st floor unit, depending upon you stair-climbing and ability and noise tolerance. we're in the middle, and hear noise from above and create it for those below. Another thing to consider is that a lot of condo association HOA, bylaws, what have you, DO NOT ALLOW RENTALS. Check all the documents and/or have a good attorney look into that point. This can be a major pain in the event things change in your life. My place has about 9 units; I'd say 70% are 60+, and the others are late 20s. That's all good, but I do see some petty disputes about how the condo fees are spent on landscaping and who got the "pretty" flowers, etc.

Regarding the previous poster's point about toys, it is pretty tight quarters and you'll likely have to pare down to your bare necessities. My home workshop is 5 hours away at my parents' place until I find a garage or basement with sufficient space--it's back to cleaning guns on the dinner table with large cardboard underneath the grime these days.

Best of luck,

B410

7. senior smoke

Rick:
    That's an idea that I never thought of. My only concern with a townhouse or condo are the neighbors. Obviously, you can get stuck with bad neighbors where ever you live, but at my mother's condo her neighbors also seem to be her friends. It's a beautiful high end condo, but it's like an old folks home. Her neighbors drop over all day long. About the only vehicles you see are golf carts and hearses entering her condo complex.

I am the type that if someone knocks at my door, I don't even respond. I am friendly to people that I shoot with, but do not want to get to close to my neighbors unless they are in the shooting sports. I have lived at my current house since 1976 and I don't even know my neighbors names on either side of me. Not true, for some reason I remember my young red headed neighbor to the South of me named Melissa, that's the one with the over grown bush seperating our property that I once had a thread about.

I like to wave to a neighbor, and that's it. I don't care how their day is going, how the kids are etc. My wife is the complete opposite. When I was a kid we were close to being poor and we lived in government housing for x gi's. The neighbors knew everyones business and droped over all the time.

As I am typing this I wonder if condo or townhouse living is for me? Maybe I should just own a property and hire a lawn and snow removal service instead? My mother just read what I was typing and said I am afraid of my own shadow and the walls are thin in a condo and I would jump with every noise after living in my own home.
    Steve

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

We lived in a ocean front condo, end unit, top floor---drop dead beautiful.

Things we didn't figure on:
    1) owners renting out for less than 30 days @ a time

2)From April--labor day--spring break every weekend

3)empty units and units not paying dues drive up costs

4) bailed out after 8 months and moved to the Villages--Disney World for grown ups.

Phil Berkowitz

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

I'd just move in with Melissa (with the overgrown bush) if I was you.

10. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The downsides I have experienced from condo living are the HOA commandos and assessments.

I did enjoy living in the condo as it was 2300 sq ft, a view to die for, and carefree living as the building was fully maintained in every aspect.....

JMHO

Jim C

bluzman98_2008_030315.jpg

bluzman98_2008_030316.jpg

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sell the place out west. Try a Villa in Fl./ $70 a month and the association does all of the yard work. They'll even do snow removal (ha ha). About 15 miles to the Silver Dollar.

barrelbulge_2008_210890.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210891.jpg

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

What you give up when you move into a condo from a house of your own.

If your neighbors argue and your not use to having neighbors living close....

Kids in the common areas (and may be making noise as kids do)...

If your neighbor smokes on his patio and your using your patio...

If your neighbor plays the radio on his patio and your using your patio....

If two or more neighbors play there radio on there patio....

No garden....

Never knowing who is going to be your neighbor if units in the complex are being rented out (party time for many short term rentals).

13. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN, NEVER.

Was in a 8 unit condo for 2 years, then, well I can not write it here or I will get banned from posting.

Repeat what I said above on the first line.

14. FIB

FIB Member

My folks recently retired and have lived in a townhouse for 5 years. They like it for the most part but recently had a run in with the neighbors and that makes being outside and so close a little uncomfortable. That's the only downside. My folks wish they hadn't became such good friends with these people now as it was better to just wave and say hello.

15. senior smoke

APrice:
    Now that's the funniest thing you ever wrote to me, LOL.
    Steve

16. senior smoke

Phil:
    I never thought of that. Something to consider.
    Steve

17. senior smoke

Jim C:
    That's beautiful.
    Steve

18. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

senior smoke

My wife and I give up are home that we had paid for to move in to a condo on the other side of the state to be around are grand kids ... we love condo living! no more yard work and we don't have to shovel snow. Just pull up a chair and let some one else do it for you. Also by living in a condo and not have to do yard work every week it gives you more time to do what you want to do. I trap shoot some time 3 to 4 days a week. If you do go in to condo living I would say look for one that has a basement that way you can have your area to do little thing in like reloading. we have a pond right out back where I can fish or I can walk about a block and fish in the bigger pond. We have a good number of golf course's around us, but the main thing is we can see are grand kids a lot more and that make the wife a lot happy-er and that make my life a lot better if you know what I am talking about.

When I see the guys come to cut the grass in the summer time I tell the wife I going outside to cut the grass now ....... pull up a chair and have a cold one.

We have ben in a condo now for going on 4 years now and we love it.

19. senior smoke

391 shooter:
    Your scaring me after that post. After reading these responses, I am inclined to hire a business to cut the lawn and snow plow. I am going to really have to think about this. Most of you brought up things that I never thought of. I appreciate it.
    Steve

20. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Steve

Now that we are in are condo we tell each other why didn't we do this sooner in life.

I am getting older now and I am thinking all the time about what will the wife do by her self when I am gone and now that we are in a condo life is a little easy-er for me. She could never take care of are big home that we give up by her self.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.