1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you kill muskrats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dr.beav, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I have a problem with two ponds of mine -- the muskrats are ruining them -- how do I realistically get rid of them???? It would take way too much time to shoot them -- back in the year 1492 my Dad used arsenic on cut up apples -- but you cannot buy arsenic these day can you?? the beav

2. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Steel Traps. 110 Conibear; or victor leg hold in a drown set.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Hand grenades or claymore mines. Lol

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Grayson's got it right, go with the conibears at the entrance of their holes. Find some buddies that have those kind of traps if you don't.

John

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If it's a small pond, dump a 55 gallon drum or 2 of drain oil so it coats the surface. They hate that.

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

sm, that might just be a little too much fishing at once. :)

John

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Conibear traps in runs and over den entrances (if legal). Quick, easy and effective. If this was 1978, you'd get about $8 each for the big ones, LOL.

-Gary

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Here you go.There laying down there plans.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Ask around at the local clubs, I'm sure there's some still trapping.

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Use to trap when younger.Conibear traps definitely,put 1/4 apple or parsnip on trigger.Skin and stretch hides,they are sellable.Also Muskrat is good eating if done right.A little on the sweet side but it is good.

Doug H.

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

dr. beav: locate a local trapper who will trap them for you. Act fast while the 'rats are still prime and you'll probably get them to do it for the muskrats. The muskrat market is actually pretty good right now so depending on how many are in your ponds there could be a few dollars to be had.

Your state may have a Trappers Association with a web site or try a call to your state Fish and Wildlife Agency, they may offer referals of trappers. If you hit a wall send me a PM and I'll help you out. I'm starting spring beaver trapping now that the ice is breaking up and this is the time to take care of your muskrat troubles as well.

Muskrats are not difficult to catch with 110 conibears, but there are a few basics you need to know to get it right the first time. This is also a very good time to trap the males with a lure that contains alot of muskrat musk.

I'm aware of the digging damage 'rats can do, as well as when they eat certain ornamental water plants but if you act quickly then the pelts can be utilized and the animal is treated as a resource instead of a pest.

If you really want to see animal damage you should witness what beavers can do. The property damage can quickly reach into the thousands of dollars.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.45-70 torpedo's 'em right out of the water.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with the Conibear traps posts. If the fur was worth a crap anymore you'd have guys begging to run a set there. Check around someone locally should agree to help ya.
    grntitan_2009_25034.jpg

14. RonC

RonC TS Member

Muskrats move around especially in the spring. If you get rid of your current bunch sooner or later more will show up. If you like to eat game, there is nothing wrong with the back legs of a muskrat. They are vegetarians, meat a bit rich but good. Caution though, you may need a licence to harvest your criters.

Ron

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

When I was young and dating, my first lady she was French and lived with her Mimi, All Mimi's recipes were hand written in French, and her cooking was very, very good.

At least twice a month she had a muskrat soaking in the sink for dinner. She lived to be 98 and said her secret to a long life was eating all the lean critters (and they ate everything}, her wrinkle free skin was from the Skunk oil her Mimi taught her to make.

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

isn't a muskrat what they call a prarie dog in louisiana? anyway, arsenic. msma is a grassy weed killer that's about 20% arsenic. you can get it at home depot. soak an apple in it. toss it in the pond. see what you get. btw, arsenic works by bonding with the blood cell so that oxygen can't. you're essentially suffocating the furry little guys without actually having to put the dry cleaning bag over their heads. good luck with it

17. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

bamboovast??????

Say, isn't this the year of the muskrat?

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you're in Oregon I would be happy along with my son to shoot them for you.

And there's no worries about the muzzle report spooking the muskrats either.

View attachment 238942

19. quartering

quartering Active Member

not unless it's a chinese leap year. i'll send an e mail to harry liu (mr.) and find out

20. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Maybe he could retrofit his "traps" for The Beav's ponds!?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you kill muskrats