1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you handle soliciting phone calls???????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The people calling ask me the one wrong question right off. HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY? My answer is "Oh not well. I have kidney stones, my dick is getting shorter and softer, I have herpes, gout, so on and so on. They will then ask are you all right. I will then say NO BITCH I'M DYING. They don't call back.

I will say someone is at the door and put the phone down till they hang up.

I ask for their phone number. They then ask me WHY? So I can call you when your sleeping or eating. They hang up.

Act like a religious freek. PRAISE THE LOAD FOR THIS PHONE CALL. GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEE"S AND THANK GOD FOR THIS CALLER. They hang up.

If they call saying they are asking for funds for the police dept or fire department I ask them if they are police officers or firemen. They say no and I will then tell them thanks for the call and the info of who needs it. I will now write a check for them and send it to them so they can keep 100% of the check and you get nothing. They hate that big time.

2. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I quit answering the house phone all together , turned the ringer off , if it's important they will leave a message and besides anybody that I want to talk to calls me on my cell phone .

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good one's Auctioneer. LOL

Jeff--I'm with you. I don't hardly notice the home phone anymore. Anybody that know's me call my cell. I call the home phone my wife's other phone. What pisses her off is when i ignore it, she answers it and it is for me. LOL

Matt

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I usually tell them to go and get a real job, Prostitution pays pretty good from what I hear and then hang up ... I tell them then people will be calling you all hours of the day and night instead of you bothering them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Guy

Guy Member

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Watch that herpes...if you get it in your eye it's gonna affect your shooting.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

More fun to say "Allow?" If it is a solicitor I say "Momento, I geet heem for joo!"

After about a minute or two, I pick up the phone and start speaking jibberish, a mix of Spanish, German, Arabic, French, Italian, and E-bonics!

If I am in the bathroom, (Yes! I have a phone in there), I continue reading my magazine but add a OK, or Uhumm now end then until they say
    Now Mr Allen, what do you thing of this deal?"

I say "Listen!" and hold the phone close to the toilet and flush!

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Just set the phone down...go back to what you were doing prior to their invasion of your time...when you hear the beeping in awhile...just simply hang it up...and go about what you were doing

9. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I asked a soliciter how the weather was there in Bangladesh, after a slight pause she politely replied, "I'm in New Dehli".

10. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I got rid of my home phone a coupleof years ago. Both my wife and I have cell phones and didn't need the land line. Even with the no call list, still got more solicitors than anything useful on the land line. Don't know why anyone keeps a land line unless it is needed for a business.

....Paul

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I ask them "do I owe you money" Then after the pitch I ask them "can you extend me credit" Bill

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Caller ID & answering machine. If you're calling from a phone that doesn't identify itself to my caller ID and you won't talk to my answering machine you'll find me hard to get a'hold of.

John C. Saubak

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I keep a land line because they sound better than cell phones, I don't want to have to notify everyone that my land line number is no longer valid and I can't lose or misplace my landline and I don't have to carry it around the house to answer it.

Eric

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

A guy called me one time soliciting donations to the "Montana Disabled Veterans". I asked him if HE was a disabled veteran? He said no but went on to try to convince me what a noble cause this was and we should all do something to help out these poor folks that'd done so much for their country & on & on. I stopped him and said ......."well I am in fact, a disabled veteran. So where's MY share of this money you're collecting for us?" ......He hung up??

John C. Saubak

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Having caller ID in my area is a $30.00 add on to the monthly bill.

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Keep a land line (minimal service) in case the power goes out on your local tower, or in case your cell phone service is cut for some other reason. You will still have a phone in an emergency.

17. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I have caller ID on my house land line. Almost all my business calls come to a cell or a vonage line. I am on the Do not call list and it has cleaned up most solicitor calls. I get one stock guy from NYC who has called so often that I recognize his voice. At first, I was polite and said I have had the same broker for over 25 years and I am not changing. Then I started getting the number to call him back as I t would not come on the caller ID then I would turn him into the Do not call list. that would kill him for 6 months then it would start again. Now if I recognize the voice I put the phone down and walk away and do something else until he hangs up. I find this most effective. If it is the NRA, I tell them my "dad" is at the range shooting.......

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    No Call List. Plus use of Caller ID.

For those that make it through, a compressed can of air boat horn works great.

If anyone is napping, I'll say, "Let me get him (or her)". Then set the phone down and not go back.

For the recorded messages that want you to leave your phone number, I give them the number of the state attorney generals office.

19. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I tell them that I am on the No Call List and that if they call me again I would report them to the state Attorney General--this usually works.

As to the land line v cell phone, I keep my land line on "call forwarding" to my cell phone which has caller ID and that helps me to decide if I want to answer the call or not.

Allen

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Auctioneer,

$30.00 a month for caller ID, where do you live? Caller ID is about $3 a month.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.