1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys know when its your turn

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

I was shooting on a squad on Sunday and 3 of the 4 shooters seemed to have the same sound when they called for the bird. Luckily the guy right before me had an odd voice and it was a great cue on when it was my turn, 1/2 way through the 100 he changed his call and sounded just like the other 4 shooters and I had to turn a bit to be sure he had just shot,

How do you guy know when its your turn? do you count shots? do you watch? do you listen?

Just wondering?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is even more difficult as a left hander because you usually have your back turned to the rest of the squad. I put a name to each of the calls and follow them that way.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

When the gun to your left goes bang then it's your turn. This is not rocket science.

Eric

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At my age, they say "Your turn, Pops!". LOL

6. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Wolfram said:

"It is even more difficult as a left hander because you usually have your back turned to the rest of the squad..."

Huh? I agree with that when the left-hander is on Post 1, but not when he's on Posts 2 through 5. On Posts 2 through 5, it seems to me that a left-hander is actually closer to facing the shooters to his left, rather than having his back turned to them.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Count. 1-2-3-4-bang

Post one, very important to count carefully or peek...

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why should anybody care one bit if you turn your head occasionally to see who's shooting so you know when you're up!

Keller

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nobody cares, for some, we like to stay focused "out there".

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Count and pay attention....

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well Tech Jeff if it was as simple as wait until the guy to your left shoots then close your gun and get ready then no you wouldn't need to pay attention too much. But the squads I shoot on move pretty quick so you need to have the squad rythm down and stay in step. Cranking your neck around to get a look down the line generally results in loosing or slightly changing you shooting position. Really better if you keep track of the voices and keep your eyes forward looking at the targets.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I mostly watch but as above when I hear the shot at my left. Ross Puls

13. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

I shoot left handed and like to startt on post 1 (if possible)for this very reason. I count for that station, then watch the shooter to my left. Like to get that post out of the way first and don't seem to have a real tough time with the left angles.

14. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Wolfram said:

"Well Tech Jeff if it was as simple as wait until the guy to your left shoots then close your gun and get ready then no you wouldn't need to pay attention too much".

Are you confusing me with the answer from "mixer"? I never said anything about waiting until the guy to your left shoots (although I hope you agree that's sorta a universal truth. I must agree with mixer that it ain't rocket science).

Regardless, please re-read MY post. I'm the guy who disagreed with your assertion that "it's more difficult for a left-handed shooter" because he "has his back to the rest of the squad". Sure, a left-hander has his back to the shooters on his RIGHT, but they're not involved in determining when its your turn. To know when it's your turn, you only need to know when the guy to your immediate left shoots (as mixer said). Seems to me a left-hander is practically facing the shooter to his left (except when he's on Post 1 as I said). So Wolfram, at your club, the squad members shoot in left-to-right sequence like everywhere else in the world, correct?

15. klf

klf Member

Wait a minute. You payed your entry fee. Take a reasonable amount of time and shoot when it's your turn. If they don't like your pace then let out a big ole "Hey y'all, watch this, " each time before you shoot. they will forget all about your pace.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When the others on the line are looking at you, and the trapper is angrily yelling your post number.

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: When the others on the line are looking at you

Done that a few times...

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When I'm on post one the guy on my left is the shooter on post 5 of the next squad down. I shoot after him?

19. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

.....If you are shooting Caps and the guy on your left is a yard behind you It is harder to know when he shoots. I do not put a blinder on my left eye for that reason. The blinder on my right keeps me from being disturbed by that shooter moving while I mount and shoot....SMOKIT

20. dtate10

dtate10 TS Member

My dad always told me..

Just shut up and shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.