1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you ground a reloader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Whats the best way to ground a reloader to avoid static electricity? thanks, Dale

2. philk

philk Member

Probably a nearby water pipe but wouldn`t that cause you to discharge to the reloader causing the static spark ???

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Just scowl at it and hollar, "You're grounded, mister!"

That'll be about as effective as anything else.

Keller

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Do you have a "GROUNDED" electrical outlet close? If so just loosen the screw that holds the cover plate & loop a length of copper wire around it & re-tighten --then attach the other end to a screw or bolt close to the powder hopper. OR you can clamp to a COPPER water pipe in place of the grounded outlet. Ross Puls

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Raise the humidity in your loading room and you will rid yourself of the static problems. No ground wire needed. I keep it around 55% in mine.

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Take a static cloth your wife uses in her clothes dryer and hang it in the powder bottle---All you need----Works for me---George@SJB

7. billn

billn Member

If you use the static cloth , make sure that it does't block off the powder hole.

bring the bottom of the cloth about 1" or higher above the powder hole drop.

8. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

If you ground the reloader by way of a wire to an outlet, connect the wire to the reloader FIRST and then connect to the outlet. If you do bleed a static charge at that time you will draw the static spark at the outlet not at the reloader.

Pat

9. 548

548 Guest

Where's Neil Winston when you need him. I tend to think this reloader grounding is non-sense.

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It is nonsense. What makes anyone think their loader is charged? If one sees a few flakes of powder clinging to the sides of the powder reservoir, that static is inherent in the plastic and cannot be eliminated by grounding the loader.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yeah, utter nonsense in fact. It is so much nonsense that when I started having the same problem as the poster who started the "problem with Clays powder" thread and found the powder baffle that MEC advises against using but many on here swear by clogged with powder that dropped down from it when I touched the loader with a ground wire, I thought the problem cleared strictly by coincidence.

Really guys, loaders can develop an electrostatic build-up. Any time one material slides against another, the potential for an electrostatic charge exists - even powder against plastic. Ever notice that no one who owns a loader attached to an Automate has ever said their loader developed an electrostatic charge? That's because their loader is grounded by being attached metal-to-metal to an electrical appliance that is grounded through the household wiring to which it is connected.

Ed

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Years ago a guy saw me looking at the scars on his neck and proceeded to tell me how he got them. Seems he was pouring directly from a 12 pound keg into the poder hopper when it lit up,their I was holding a 12 pound rocket he says.He then pulls hi shirt up to show the graphs on his whole chest,neck and arms.HE was NOT smoking! Must have been static. Almost burned hi house down. Sure broke me of pouring direct. Jeff

13. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Ross, I agree with you that is what I do and have never had a problem.

Trap-4

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Sure broke me of pouring direct."</I></blockquote>Is there another practical way to get powder into the powder hopper besides pouring it directly from its container?

If static is going to be an issue, what's the difference whether the powder comes out of a 8# jug or a 14 oz. bottle? You're only gonna pour enough to fill the hopper.

Keller

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Ed, It would take very large amount of static to hold a powder drop in place. Have you ever been shocked touching a loader? The act of touching a loader would ground it meaning loaders are not charged with static.

There is probably more to Bigbore's story. If true, it would be a common occurrence.

16. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Thick wire with aligator clips and grounded to a basement water pipe. The wire is long enough to attached to 2 other reloaders ( 1 being a metallic). Since I did this a month ago I can't say whether it's effective or not. BT100dc

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I pour from the keg into a plastic cup.In my mind better to have a cup ful than a whole keg. No more 12 pounders of 700X, shame. Jeff

18. 548

548 Guest

I use a PW Platinum 2000. The PW's have plastic shot and powder reservoirs attached to a plastic top plate. With this set up, I fail to see how grounding the loader will prevent static electricity in a plastic powder delivery system.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Johnny, all I can tell you is that after being fully embarrassed by several boxes of shells, many of which sounded like a flock of ducks, and having to remove numerous wads from my barrel, I went home to cut the leftovers open, finding anywhere from a few flakes of PB to a full charge inside. A search for the cause led to my 9000G and a glance in the bottom of the powder reservoir showed me that the red plastic baffle was now black inside. An LED light confirmed that the black substance was in fact powder.

Suspecting an electrostatic charge, I connected a ground wire to the wall outlet near my loading bench, touched it to a bare spot on the loader's base and the powder disappeared into the bushing. I then permanently connected the ground wire to one of the bolts attaching the loader to the bench, tossed the baffle in the trash where it belonged and have never had as much as flakes on the inside of my power reservoir.

That was many years ago and I have not had even a hint of static buildup since then. And I now don't have to ground my loader as I have it bolted to an Automate.

Some time after that incident, an industrial electrician with whom I shot trap and I were discussing reloading and I mentioned my discovery to him. He was only surprised that I wasn't expecting that to happen. Since then, I've spoken with numerous shooters who had similar experiences.

Ed

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

you don't ground a reloader because you can't. static electricity is a stationary charge on an insulator (non conductive.) electric current will flow through a conductor. you can't make static electricity flow over the insulated surface of your powder hopper and through a wire conductor just because you hook one up to your press. also, have you ever tried to ignite smokeless powder with just a spark? it's real hard to do. take a flint striker like you use to light the propane torch and put it over a thimblefull of your favorite smokeless poured in the center of a pie tin. get the striker as close as you can and don't be scared - it's a fairly slow burn when you finally do get it lit. good luck with it