1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you graphite your home made shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I think most people use a cheap concrete mixer and just turn it on with the shot inside and throw the graphite on it as it spins. I just took a larger steel can, welded tabs in it to mix the shot around, and throw the shot and graphite it it and roll it around. Hope this helps, Josh.

2. 686

686 TS Member

I RUN MINE IN A CONCRETE MIXER FOE 3 HRS. LOOKS LIKE BLACK GOLD.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a small mixer that holds a 5 gal pail, formerly for drywall mud.

A teaspoon per 100 lbs is plenty. (let it roll for an hour.)

Get it from the John Deere dealer.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I found that It looks the same and works the same with nothing added. It will make its own. If you dont do a lot at a time a vib case cleaner will work too. About 15lb at a time

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

My shot was in a 5 gal bucket, used to sprinkle graphit on top pick the bucket up and drop it. Graphite was on all of it.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I tumble.. and added a few squirts of tri-flo along with the graphite..It comes out slick.. and flows beautifully.. patterned well too.. The original lubaloy shot was very similar..

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A gun oil.. with Teflon in it.. I think its similar to Break-free.. After katrina I was given everyone's wet.. flooded shells.. I cut them all apart.. saved the shot.. and recycled it.. 9's -6's.. All went in 1 barrel.. soaked in water.. tumbled..dried..graphited..retumbled..a few shots of tri-flo.. retumbled for a few hours.. and loaded in 24 gram shells.. Shot great.. I recoverd over 1000 pounds of shot.. Made for cheap shooting.. Every miss was all mine.. Breaks were impressive.. 1 shell.. 1 load for everything.. Never worried 7.5's or 8's.. Just put the lead on the target.. .030 choke or tighter.. All Good.. Mike

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would like to change the question just a bit. Why graphite the shot?

Pat Ireland

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I make and graphite mine in a cement mixer but must admit that I can't tell the difference except that my hands stay cleaner when I don't graphite it. I don't roll it but about 10 minutes and that seems just fine. I use John Deere too. I agree that a tablespoon a 100# IS ok. BTW, Mr. Stewart says you don't have to do it and he makes the machines.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I use an old cement mixer with the paddles removed and coated with bed liner. use about a tablespoon of graphite per 100 lbs. I usually run 300 lbs at a time. I let it tumble till it gets warm to the touch and the graphite doesn't come off on your hands. Usually takes about an hour with a 300 lb batch.

Pat, I graphite mine because it seems to drastically slow oxidation and helps it flow thru the loader. Jim

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/shotpolishing.flv">

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lead shot likes graphite, be nice to your shot and it will be nice to you. HMB

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- The reduction in oxidation makes sense to me. Flowing through the drop tube better doesn't make sense to me. But often I do not make sense to me.

HMB- I do like your logic. But if my shot is not nice to me, and this happens at times, then what should I do?

Pat Ireland

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat, at that time I believe a little self-examination would be in order.

There is a good possibility you could have unknowingly been not nice to your shot.

You could have put it in the wrong gun, or not said sweet things while loading, or any of a host of other wrongs.

HM

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

HM is right. Have a talk with your shot once in a while. Establish a relationship. No telling where this may lead. HMB

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When shot has been under water for maybe weeks.. and salt water at that..with all kinds of crap in it.. A good cleaning..washing.. graphite and lube I felt was prudent.. Alot of the crap I got came out of the shell in one lump.. I used the last of it a few months ago.. It still looked as good as new.. and went thru my P/W just fine..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.