1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Get Your Timing Back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by berta686, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berta686

berta686 TS Member

I have been shooting for 11 years had to go to a release about 4 or 5 months ago.I shoot a new ts kolar had it for 3 years and have some realy good scores with it.Now 1 night I"ll break a 48 and the next night break a 37 with same gun,same shell,same choke every thing the same but a very good shooter told me my timing was way off so how do I get it back???????????

Thanks
    Neil McClain

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

What is timing and what does it have to do with shooting?

jim brown

3. Cooter

Cooter Member

Jim is right,if your shooting because it's time to shoot,that could be your problem.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When you talk about timing I think yu are talking about my biggest problem. I like to shoot fast and I find myself getting way out of time. To correct it, I slow way down and wait on the bird. Pretty soon I have it back. With me it is a hyper prob. I am just a hyper kind of guy and it causes me to start moving on the bird to quiclky. Normally if I concentrate on one bird at a time, I am ok

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you rely on timing alone to break great scores, the wind blown targets will tear your averages to pieces. It's a seeing problem, not a timing problem.

Hap

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Probably meant your reflexes were off. I know as I have aged my reflexes are much poorer than early years.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Rule #1 of Trapshooting:

If you're thinking about timing...you're f_cked.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

YOu asked how to get your timing back. If you shoot 500 targets at dedicated practice this week and tha same next week and perhaps a 3rd week, likely your timing will return. If you like singles, shoot singles. If yo like hcp shoot only hcp. If you mix and match (as we are all prone to do) yhou increase the timing/coordination problms for you brain.

9. jimsw

jimsw Member

Timing? What's that? Be glad it's gone.

Frank Little said, "Timing shooting is one of the major causes of inconsistent shooting."

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

How consistently you shoot targets may be more related to how you see the target out of the house. Timing (where you break the target during its flight) is more related to your eyes than anything else if you are an experienced shooter. New shooters often shoot slow because they are trying to make a relationship between the front sight and the target. Good experienced shooters see the target and trust their gun to go off without thinking about it.

Pat Ireland

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

NUTS......without timing you will just be an inconsistent average shooter......Timing is everything.......just keep believing it's not.

I think those that quote successful shooters, don't understand what they paid good money to hear......

The post above that said if you are thinking about timing, is right.........timing and pulling a trigger are a subconscious event.......You have to acquire consistent timing not manage it....Humans are not capable of controlling such complicated tasks,,,,,,that's why you train.......registering targets is not training.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

221, what you endorse may work for some for a while but not long term! Your idea works best on "perfect" shooting days and goes in the tank during inclement weather!!

"Good experienced shooters see the target and trust their gun to go off without thinking about it."

Pat Ireland

Great shooters know the proper connection has been made at the shot! They know that target belongs to them before the shot has left the barrel! How could they know that prior? Their eyes told them so!

Hap

13. 221

Hap it's not my "idea, it's a fact......you cannot control all the functions of a shot, whether it's a good day or not.....What part of that is so hard to understand......shooting is a learned reaction.....just like walking or talking......

If you never take the time to acquire the skill to shoot properly.....you will chase your tail forever.

I have met few around trap shooting that REALLY understand marksmanship.....there is absolutely only one difference between the disciplines and that's sight picture.

It's also the main reason y'all have so much trouble with flinching. Its also why trap uses >30" shot on a <5" target

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

That's right folks...221's here to tell us trapshooting folks we don't understand "Marksmanship" (Leo Harrison has just been getting "lucky" for the past 40 years).

(I guess we're supposed to assume that 221's name is all over the leader board at Camp Perry. From the wisdom of what he says above, I'd be surprised if he could put 10 rounds downrange without cross-shooting somebody else's target).

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I gotta' take issue here if we are talking about "trigger timing". Here are my thoughts on this. Over thousand and thousands of targets our brain gets "imprinted" with a timing sequence that starts from the time we first see the target. This why we often pull the trigger even though we are seeing a sight picture that is not correct to break a particular target. Our brain says that it is time to shoot even though it recognizes an incorrect "sight picture." Great shooters have the ability to over-ride this imprint when they see that they have not yet pointed the target correctly. This is one of the reasons Leo can consistently break a 200 in singles or Ron Alcoriza can run 100 from the 27 even in a very high wind. He doesn't shoot faster but he can adjust his timing on every shot for bird he is seeing. Most of us just pull the trigger when our internal clock says it is time to do so and when we attempt to pull the trigger either faster or slower than what we are accustomed to it ofter results in what we commonly refer to as a "flinch". Just my opinion but might be worth consideration.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The more you practice the luckier you will get ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. 221

I said FEW jerk-off not all. your comprehension skills suck.

That's all you do, buz....is personally attack anyone that knows the difference.....I can not understand why people like you prefer that others must believe the bull shit. They are asking for assistance, yet you bash those who do.

No one shooting at Camp Perry would have your attitude, let alone your lack of understanding for basic marksmanship.

You want to debate me on the merits.....just bring it on.....keep your personal attackes for the corner bar.....

18. Cooter

Cooter Member

221,I would love to sit here and argue with you about timing but I'm sure you have an answer for everything.The best suggestion I could give you about timing is take Leo's or Kay's or Harlen's coarse and then come back and tell all of us what you found out.If they can't convince you it's not about timing then no one can.

19. 221

BTW.....where at Camp Perry will I find Leos name printed I'll gladly stop by and check it out.

Some teach others collect a fee.

I have known some world class shooters that couldn't teach you to tie your shoes.....Just because you have a household name does not mean you can rub it off on someone else.

Tell me one pro that does not pay a coach to follow him around........would you pay Tiger Woods for golf lessons......some fools would......It's his dad that is the brains of that operation. Yet most involved with trap think they can just buy a score.

20. 221

Cooter.....does my knowledge intimidate you......I know something about a lot of things....I learn something new every day......I only have an answer for what I've learned........Is that a problem for you?.....or would you prefer I just sugar coat everything to your liking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.