1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you fit yourself for LOP?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfee, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I recently purchased a new to me trap gun. I thought I shot it well for the first time shooting in quite a while, but a few people told me that it was too long. It felt good, came up good, and didn't kick, but it is in my head now that it may be too long. How do I measure it?

2. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

Thanks MIA, they were saying that my face sitting back on the stock. The stock is, according the guerini website, 14.8" with the trigger in the middle of the adjustment. I have the trigger set back a little though, so I guess I need to measure it myself. I don't think I will mess with it quite yet, as I haven't shot enough targets to really know. Again, thanks. wolfee

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

MIA is right. But, you should bend your arm 90% and measure the distance from the crook at the elbow to the joint on the end of your trigger finger. (A yardstick works great.) That is much more accurate than just putting the gun there and measuring it against your finger. Then start with that length of pull and adjust as necessary till it is right.
    MIA is also right about swing characteristics.
    You should shoulder the gun naturally and naturally lay your face on the comb. Your eye should be fairly close to your trigger hand but obviously far enough away to have no issue with recoil. Normal seems to be about 1.5 to 2.5 inches. Some like less. You eyes should be level.
    Now do it with your eyes closed then open them and see how it lines up in a mirror and how the beads stack. It should be adjusted till it comes to the right location with your eyes closed. Then just shoot till its part of you.
    Good luck, Jake

4. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

wolfee... You'll get a lot of input on how you should set/adjust your length of pull. Physical size does not necessarily drive the length, however physical attributes often do. I’m 6’ and 165lbs and my length of pull is 15.5”, why real long neck and arms. It took me a long time to realize where it should be set. If possible, you should find someone that has stock fitting experience, get his/her input and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

Rich V…

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

With the gun mounted comfortably, your trigger hand thumb should be 1" - 1 1/4" away from your nose. You can tape on various pads and spacers and experiment.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

wolfee, unfortunately your asking a question that most don't understand how to accomplish but will take a stab at telling you anyway and that very could be with the boys at the club as well!

Alot of factors are involved, your physical build, especially upper body, height, neck length, length of arms, your mount and placement of pad on shoulder, face thickness.

THe one way that many relay and to me is worthless but people still offer it as useful is to put the stock in the crook of your arm scenario. Forget it!

Without seeing you try having someone measure the distance between your nose and thumb and try to achieve somewhere between .5 and 1.5 inches.

When shooting are you making comfortable swings and consistent heights on rights from post 5 (presuming your a right shoulder shooter)? If your short shooting that target then gun is most likely to long. If when shooting you get the sensation that your pushing the gun away from your face then it is alittle short.

As stated alot of variables.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll second Martin's assessment of the crook-of-the-elbow method as being about worthless. A person can have short arms or the world's longest and that is not going to affect where on the stock his head is located, for that is dictated by the length of his neck and how much he "crawls" his stock. When Wenig's fitted me for my stock three years ago, one thing they NEVER did was have me hold the butt in the crook of my elbow and see where the grip landed in my hand. Instead, they had me mount the gun and looked at the relative location of my control hand and face to establish a beginning length of pull.

Ed

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Where is Rollin ????

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I'll third Martin's assessment. Totally worthless.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You said a couple things that gave a clue what the problem is:

"face sitting back on the stock" "haven't shot enough targets to know"

New shooters generally stand straight up with their head well back to support the weight of the gun. Sort of similar to a rifle shooters stance.
    This places the "face back on the stock" and makes every stock seem too long.
    Do not adjust your stock at this time. As you shoot more you will change your style so that your head and shoulders will move well forwards. This will allow you to move the gun more effectively. You most likely will also find that your stock is no longer too long.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What counts is where the thumb is relative to the nose, not where the finger is relative to the inside of the elbow, obviously, since the elbow has no role in stockfitting anyone can defend.

Neil

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

If you have short arms, no neck and a snout like Scaramouche, you may be in trouble with the nose measurement too. Just try different lengths until you find what is both comfortable and productive.

Booger

13. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been through this for year's since I am left handed. Most, if not all of the above is useless. Please go to a competent stockfitter and have him fit the stock to you. You may readily find out you need a custom stock. Most shooter's do, they just do not know it. Hope this helps, Roy

14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I could fit him in about 2 min..

The stock in the elbow method is not even a consideration when it comes to gun fit.

Wolfee, its pitch and length. Get a good stock-fitter to have a look at you.

Remember, gun fit is the most important part of shooting a good score.....Bill..

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

MIA, it looks as though your amongst a very very limited crowd that believe your crook method will work!

If you were addressing myself as being part of the club guys with two cents, thanks as I do belong to several clubs and I might actually have two cents:)

16. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

Dickgtax, wolfee is not a new shooter. he simply has bought a new to him gun. I was at the club when he was shooting it and he was smoking straight aways and 1/4 angles but struggling with the hard angles. I was standing off to the side and noticed he was very far back on the stock. wolfee I believe is around 5'8-5'10 he bought a new ceasur guirini combo.
    WOLFEE- sorry if I am making you think it is too long but was just making an observation was not trying discourage you on the fit of your new gun.going to coffee creek 2morrow you should come down early and shoot some cheap practice. just 2.50

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The purpose of the 1" - 1 1/4" to the nose is to prevent the ole' nose slap from a short stock. Once your there, put it on the pattern board for vertical alignment, and your on your way. If it shoots dead on at 13 yards, and you don't bump your nose, all you have to do is adjust for height, but you have to be consistant enough realise when you need to raise or lower your stock. That's the tough part, consistancy. I'm 5'-11", have a tendancy to stretch my head forward and shoot 15 1/4" LOP.

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Tron, Martin, Averaged, etc. You guys need to lighten up. It ain't "worthless" to measure the length of the inside of the shooter's forearm to the joint of his trigger finger as a STARTING point. I have been fitted by Perazzi, and a former Purdy fitter and that is the STARTING point they use.

Of course, the length of your neck, build, preference for holding the gun, how you lay your face on the stock etc. are all critical. But what do you do for a STARTING point? Just pick a number?

C'mon. Jake

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jake, how about 14 and a half inches as a starting point? What's the difference? They are just starting points, after all. What you want may be that, or longer or shorter, Wolfee, but all you wanted was a "starting point" right? I guess this means you will have as a starting point the stock of almost every gun sold. Glad we were able to help.

If you have any more questions, we stand by to be of service . . .

Neil

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

jakearoo, then why measure by any means? Just put the pad on your shoulder and shoot. It may even be a closer measurement.

No wonderthe stock fitter was a former employ of Purdy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.